Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: upper control arm

I know this is an old thread, but itís probably one of the most helpful ones for actually removing the front upper control arms.

I am struggling to remove the upper control arms on my 1993 SC 5-speed. It does not have an accumulator booster brake booster (which I hope means I have more wiggle room on driverís side). However, on the passenger side, there is a black cylinder part which is blocking my access to the rear passenger upper control arm nut. Is the removal of this cylinder necessary for clearance? Otherwise I cannot figure out how to put a ratcheting 18 mm wrench on it from above or below.

Any help would be appreciated.

That back cylinder is the dryer for the a/c. I've just used an open ended wrench on mine, then upgraded to new hardware so I can tighten it from the bottom now.
    93 5.0 (now a 363 stroker) LX Bill Elliott edition m5r2 swapped
    94 red SC 5 speed

Thanks for the reply.

My brother suggested I try turning the bolt (instead of the nut) with a 15 mm wrench and used the open end of the 18mm wrench to hold the nut in place. We got the passenger side out and weíll do the drivers side tomorrow.

I also sprayed PB blaster on the pinched part that Iíll hammer out tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_Leuce View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

My brother suggested I try turning the bolt (instead of the nut) with a 15 mm wrench and used the open end of the 18mm wrench to hold the nut in place. We got the passenger side out and weíll do the drivers side tomorrow.

I also sprayed PB blaster on the pinched part that Iíll hammer out tomorrow.
    Exactly how I got them out last time. In a pinch you can grind them out too.

I wasted so much time trying to get my 18mm ratcheting wrench on the passenger rear nut I was going insane. I opened 2 service manuals and neither was telling me how to access the nut (no mention of removing throttle body or air conditioning parts).
    I was ready for a fight; I bought 2 ratcheting 18mm ratchets (figuring Id break one) and a non-ratcheting 18 mm wrench. Im going to return 2 of them because it turns out I just need a 15mm socket/wrench I can torque on and a 15mm ratcheting wrench after I break them loose to easily twist the bolt off while the open ended 18mm wrench holds the nut.

For future SC guys out there, you don't have to remove the black cylinder thingy or even the throttle body and probably not even the cables. I did remove a spark plug boot on the driverís side (closest to master cylinder) so I could swing a ratchet but Iíll probably just hold it still now while I torque on the 15mm bolt.

At least this lesson will help me be prepared for when my other 2 Supercoupe require this.