AOD Tranny Experts??!!

duanemyhre

Is there anyone on the board who can diagnose and understands AOD transmissions?

My poor SC is having one problem after another lately!

I have read all the boards and the stuff from TCCOA. I need to talk to a real expert! Not like most of those idiots that work at the tranny shops.

Problems include (on rebuilt tranny with 5,000miles)
-cold shifts @ 5000 rpm (getting somewhat normal after warming up)

-after driving, sticks in gear while stopped and bogs down engine.

-sometimes after stopping, engine lugging like above, I try to accelerate and the car shutters like it is in second or third gear. I hit the gas hard, and it shifts hard down (and rubber is put to the ground without intention)

Im sure something needs to be replaced, but I need to know what. I want to know, so I can do it my-self, or specify to a shop what I want done.

Im by NO means an expert, but I personally think its a pretty safe bet that you have something like metal filings making your valve body stick. If your brave enough to pull the valve body, its not a hard thing to get to. I know theres guys on here who have done it and could give you a step by step.
Pull your tranny pan and see what the fluid looks like. If its metallic looking in the sunlight, Id bet that metal is causing those valves to stick. The symptoms such as it shifting better when its warm, and that it wont go back into low when you stop, and that you have to ramrod it to get it to shift up at the light are good indicators to me that that is it. Good luck!

thunderstruck

THANKS!

I think a saw a write up about somthing like that on TCCOA. Somthing about using new plastic ones?? Im not sure?!

Do you know where I can get a pic or diagram of the tranny and these parts, so I can do it my-self. Even part numbers would help.

Anything. I want to make this fix this week. I dont want to burn up this tranny!

Duane

sounds ok

It sounds to me like you should just go to a loc. tranny place and have them set your cables!!!

Gen. Supercoupe:eek:

A local tranny place rebuilt this tranny for 1200. It was supposed to have a one year warranty. I have taken in back to them �c??? over 5 times!!!! Sometimes they keep it for a few days, and once they kept it for a week. It always comes back the same. I had to prove to them that my tranny didn�ft take type F fluid. They said I was wrong until I showed then the dipstick. AND with the TV cable adjusted wrong (If the way posted on TCCOA is right). I don�ft know anyone who I trust to do tranny work. I have talked to many tranny shops in the area. They can�ft agree on what is wrong with my tranny. The ONLY thing they agree on is that I need my tranny rebuilt (pay them a lot of money to screw up my tranny again) I have also judged their competence buy asking many of them the tranny fluid question. Over 90% get it wrong!! I can�ft believe it!!!! I figure that if people like this can work on transmissions and stay in business, I can surely fix my tranny myself with the right instructions and it wont cost me 1000-1200 bucks!

Are these trannys really that difficult?!

I followed the directions from TCCOA to adjust my TV cable. I first tried different settings. All the way from high to low. Mid seemed to work the best, but really not all that different. This makes me believe that thunderstruck might be close to the answer. I read something about metal particles, shift valves, and using a new plastic valve that will not get stuck. I couldn�ft pin it exactly to my problems, but it sounds possible.

Does anyone have a detailed diagram of the break down of the tranny? Those valves are supposed to be around $20. I want to change them and change my fluid and see what happens before I burn up the thing. I just need the information!

-after driving, sticks in gear while stopped and bogs down engine.

Wether or not the trany is "In Gear" dosent matter your tork converter is what "Slips" and allows you to sit in gear at a stoplight your tork converter has a lockup function that may not be working properlly

I am also having tranny problems with my '92 LX V6, it has very delayed shifting, will not go into the next gear until very high rpm. i tried dropping the pan, changed the filter, and added some fluid back but the pan was very clean.. no shavings whatsoever. Has anyone ever taken the tranny pan off?? i thought there should be a magnet in there but there wasn't...?
It still shifted the same after all this.. but about 2 weeks later it magically starts shifting normal...?

I am no AOD expert but there could be a few things causing your problem. I think your TV cable is ok because usually if it is too tight you won't be able to open up your throttle all the way. I don't think it is the converter because the AOD converter doesn't have a clutch mechanism in it. The converter locks up via a drum in the rear of the transmission and it will only lock up once you are third and fourth gear. It definitely sounds like an accumulator or valve body. Either way you need to drop the pan. I have heard of accumulator springs breaking thus causing the accumulator not to move properly. This will cause some very strange shifting. I have even heard some guys removing the accumulator springs to make second gear shift real hard. When you remove the pan the accumulator should be visible toward the front of the transmission. It should be circular and held in with a snap ring. Don't worry about pulling it out because the only thing there should be a heavy spring on one side a piston a heavy spring on the other ant then a rataining cup and snap ring. You won't lose anything. If the springs are intact and are there, I would move my attention toward the vlalve body. Did you have a shift kit installed? If so maybe they didn't drill out one of the oil ciircuits properly or maybe the wrong one. That would be hard to tell. If you can find a used valve body to try at this point after checking the accumulator that would be the next step I would take. They aren't hard to put in. Almost as easy as changing the tranny filter. It's just a real messy job if you don't have a lift. I hope that helps. Let me know what happens.

Check the accumulator bores, they are notorious for wearing rapidly in AOD's. One of the accumulators I beleive it is the 2-3 accumulator itself wears out quickly and does'nt seal for crap.
They offer a replacement that is completely coated in rubber and thats the one you want. Its been a while since I went through my AOD so this info is off the top of my head and no I did not rebuild it just like Ford originaly did. Its much much better now!:D

Everyone! Thanks for your help! :D

My car is completely stock. No shift kit. Tomorrow I will pull my accumulator and check it. If it looks fine, I will pull my valve body and check the valves.

I feel about 99% sure that the TV cable is OK. I got the instructions to adjust it from TCCOA. the adjustment is easy! In there reference, there is a span of 5/16 of an inch for adjustment. I have tried both high and low. Now it is set at mid and it doesn�ft make a BIG difference. But�c the tranny isn�ft working right in the first place!

I read something about adding a inline filter to the cooler line. Has anyone done this, or know what kind of filter you can use. I wouldn�ft want to disturb the flow and pressure. Possibly, even just put one in for a week or so, to make sure everything is cleaned out.

Any and all information about what I should be looking for would be really appreciated. All of your experience really helps. I have a lot of experience with engines and some experience with manual transmissions, but I have only changed the oil on automatics. This is a whole new area for me. Eventually, when I have more funds available, I would like to get a used AOD and build a performance Tranny. Just for the experience and knowledge of automatic transmissions.

I will keep up to date on my progress

Duane

Since youre going to be under the car the best way to check the TV setting is with a pressure gauge. Thats the only way to set the TV pressure! I found out the hard way!
On the passenger side of the tranny above the oil pan rim you will notice several ports with plugs in them. Clean the dirt or crud off and one of those ports will have TV cast into the housing.
Remove the plug and screw in a pressure gauge, now start the engine leaving the tranny in PARK and check what the pressure is.
You want 38 lbs. NO more and not much less.
I would do this before I dropped the pan or anything. Its really simple to do and will give you a much better idea if you need to go any further.;)

Mike

Thanks!

I guess I need to go find a reliable gauge and adapter to fit he hole. There is a tool specialty shop in town. I will give them a call.

Is this the way the factory adjusts them? What about transmission shops?

If the valves are sticking open anywhere on this tranny, could that cause the pressure reading to be off?

Yes thats the way the factory and any shop worth anything do it.
Those other ports on the case are diagnostic ports to check other operations of the tranny. DO NOT drive the car until the tranny has been checked and fixed or you WILL destroy it. I know about this first hand!
I'm gonna try and get my AOD manual back this weekend so I can be of more help to you, then I can tell you what to do and look for at the other ports.
I hate to say this but the way to set the TV cable that everybody recomends is BAD. Thats how I smoked my tranny. After setting mine the way everybody recomends I later found out that I only had 15 lbs of pressure. The tranny lasted 2 minutes and then welded itself together destroying ALL drums,bands and ALL the clutch's.
The only parts that I was able to reuse was the case, input and output shafts. Everything else was gone.
The AOD is a good and strong tranny, it gets a bad rap because MOST shops and weekend mechanics do not diagnose and fix them properly, so when they tear up again of course its the junky weak tranny thats to blame.
Let me know what TV pressure you have after checking it and do not disassemble any of the tranny yet, it may already be toast and you will just be pissing in the wind.
Good Luck!

Mike. I can get a fluid filled gauge 0 – 160. It has increments every two pounds and meets some federal standard. I would have to order a 0 – 60 gauge. Do you know what kind of adapter I will need to attach it to the tranny? What size fitting?

That gauge will work for the low pressure measurements, but you will need a 0-500 lbs. gauge to take the highpressure measurements.
Take one of the plugs from the tranny with you and find a adapter to go from the gauge to the same diameter and thread pitch as the plug(cant remember the exact size right now) but you want a MALE thread on that end so it will screw into the tranny port.
Do you have a sears,toolbox or something like that around you?
Check around at places like that or autoparts stores and see if they have a "Automatic transmission oil pressure tester" That will have everything you need(2 gauges,2 hoses and all the adapters you will need). I've seen them for about $30.00 that are good enough.

Sears,toolbox? What is that? just a toolbox? Craftsman? There is a Sears in town. Do they have this tranny kit?

I called one of my local auto parts places and they referred me to a specialty shop where I located a quality 0-30 pressure gauge.

There is a local tool shop also. No Trans kit?! What other pressures will I need to measure?

I found some plugs on the sides of my case, but couldn�ft find any markings. If we are going up to 500psi, I better hook my 0 - 30 gauge in the right hole!

Does the tranny need to be cold or at operating temp?

WOW!!!

OK. I found the TV port, hooked up the gauge to it. It looked like I got OVER 70- 80psi. :eek: The gauge only goes to 60 and it pegged the stop under the 0. At first, I thought the gauge wasn�ft working! :confused:

Could this be caused if there was a stuck valve or broken spring in the accumulator?

After this post I will readjust the TV cable and see If I can get 38psi.

Back