#14 wire fan trick

SeafoodSC

I understand cutting the #14 wire in the ircm will engage the fan. Will the fan shut off when the vehicle is moving fast enough to not need the fan, or is a switch needed?
I don't want the fan to keep running if its not necessary.

Also expect to replace the fan sooner due to increased usage and wear, and you may have more heat related problems on the highway since with the AC on the fan is designed to be shut off at like 46 MPH where more air flows in the area of the rad than that provided by the fan. With the AC Off the fan only comes on when a certain temperature setting is reached as a failsafe.

ok, so I guess a switch will be needed or reprogram the computer to turn the fan on sooner and leave the 14 wire alone?

If you purchase an EEC Tuner Board temperature setpoints can be changed via the software settings for the board. An EEC Tuner is like 300 bucks though. If you don't have mods that require its use you would be wasting your money IMHO though.

Some have used a thermostatic switch to control their fans as well.

14 wire trick=bad idea

I did the cut the number 14 wire trick about a month and a half ago and today i have a dead low speed on my fan, so i would definately not reccomend cutting the number 14 wire. I'm going to try a thermostatic switch. Just my .02

I put a manual toggle switch under the dash on my cut #14 wire about 15 months ago and have run it when I need to to keep the temp gage below the middle. No problems. I doubt the failure of the fan 1.5 months after you cut the wire is do only to the extra use - not likely.

Jon

How do you remove the tang or clip that holds the connector into the IRCM??? Also, how do you remove the IRCM from the metal backing plate? Any info would be appriciated!

You don't need to remove the big 24 pin connector from the IRCM - I did not and would not. All you need to do is remove the IRCM and it's backing plate from the fender well with the one screw holding the whole thing (just to get some room to maneuver), find wire #14 by looking at the markings on the connector, then move back away from the connector into the wiring harness a short way and cut the wire there. No need to disturb the connector at all. After I cut the wire I spliced in a long piece of two conductor AC line cord using two electrical wire nuts to connect up with the (now) two open ends of the cut #14 wire. Then I ran that new cord up under the dash and installed a toggle switch that effectively breaks and connects the #14 wire as I need it. Very easy.

Jon

Yea, I just finished the #14 switch and that was much easier than I thought!!! That is a very fun little wiring mod and i'm sure will help with my under the hood and cooling temps, which are around the "M" on the gauge, which seems on the high side. What other things can be done CHEAPLY to improve temperature of engine, air, oil, transmission, exhaust? Thanks.

Kewl fan switch

Personally, I prefer a cool fan switch. Available from most autoparts stores for about $30. Comes with a probe that installs in the the radiatior, and a temperature selector switch, selectable from about 20-260 degree turn on. I used this on my cougar due to some weird issues with the sensors. It worked really well. Temp gauge stayed between the blank and the N. Give it a try though.

Yeah I have one of those on my SC right now. I have it set to turn on at a certain temp to keep my engine cool. I bought it a few months ago as a temporary fix to my problem of the fan not ever running. Still haven't figured out what is wrong with that; sure wish I could fix my fan the proper factory way. If anyone has any ideas on that, please let me know. It just never ran from the second I bought the car. I replaced the IRCM but I'm not sure that the one I replaced it with was good (junkyard part). I'm thinking it's either that or wiring somewhere. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks,

Matt

Back