SC Pulley

1QuikV6

Ok, Im dead set on buyin this SC and will go look at it this weekend. Ive never so much as even sat in an SC before. My question is.... Ive heard of different sized pulleys for the Supercharger. What sizes do they come in, which is the most popular, and what kind of performance gains can I expect? And where do I purchase the pulley?

Brandon
Firefighter/EMT

Ok, so youre talking along the lines of resonator delete and a set of Flowmaster 40s? Ok so I mod the exhaust to flow better. What kind of hp gain am i looking at from the pulley? Realistically

Thanks,
Brandon

Not sure of an actual HP difference, but here is the seat of the pants guide. I've got an '89 supercoupe with a '95 supercharger. It ran a 15.676 @ 89.4X mph with the stock '95 pulley. Changed to an '89 pulley (3% overdrive) and ran a 15.276 @ 89.5X mph. The pulley and a dirty K&N were the only performance changes beween the runs. A .400 gain in time is a lot for the 1/4. The mph only changed by about .1, but I got there faster. Oh yeah, and the sc whines louder too! :)

yea, thats what i want!!! More SC noise!! I want it to hint to whats under that sleek black hood. ya Baby! .400 is a LOT. Speed isnt the factor in the quarter.... time is.

Brandon,if you are going to look at Toms' car in Norfolk,it is completely stock,but needs work.Contact me,I may know where you can get a 10% pulley locally.
z...zdance1@hotmail.com

Yes I am very interested in Toms SC. I know it needs work such as carpet and other interior work. So youre saying it needs more than that? Please enlighten me and see about a 10% Pulley please.

1QuikV6 said:
Speed isnt the factor in the quarter.... time is.

Speed is a huge factor in the 1/4 mile. Time is relatively useless, it only provides information on the abilities of the driver. The trap speed can approximate the amount of horsepower the car is putting out and what time the car should be running.

From the light to the end of the strip

Well when lookin at an ET you look at the Time and Speed separately since they are indirectly related. The speed can change with the time the same, or vice versa. When i lookat an ET I look at how fast that car can get from the light to the end of the strip.

Typical mods for about 5-10hp are:

K&N panel filter
Air silencer Delete
Removed Resonator.

The smaller pulley moves the SC output lower in the RPM band, but also increased the HP drag lower in the RPM band. So there is a ying and yang there that improves seat of the pants power a bit, but isn't as much as it's cracked up to be. You'll see some improved throttle response.

For 5%, the above mods are pretty decent. For 10% you are going to want to get new down tubes and high flow cats to top off the exhaust mods. But for 10% you really need to improve breathing on the intake side as well to fully benefit from it.

Pinched Plenum

Well ive heard of replacing the SC with a 94-95 blower and plenum. Lookin at the blower the plenum looks pinched to enter the blower and still fit under the hood. And the intercooler is the size of a phonebook.
What does the 94-95 blower and plenum add and whats the difference between the 89 and the 94-95s??? Can u tell I mod LXs and not SCs??? lol

Brandon

The 94/95 blower has improved blower specs and the inlet and outlets have been redesigned,you need the 94/95 plenum cause it is different from the 89/93.The late model blower uses less HP to drive and it spins slower with improved flow and lower blower air temps.I have heard around 15-20 HP but it all depends on other mods as well.The late model engines have the improved oil pump as well as other things that were reworked as problems showed room for improvements.Do a search for differences in the cars as well as look in the FAQ section for answers!

Back