? about 5-spd swap into late model with Trac Ctrl

rookie94sc

Has anyone who's done the 5-spd swap into a 94/95 w/ trac control had any adverse effects from the traction control?

ahh just swap out the pumpkin with a L/S unit.. Who needs that traction control thing anyways...

and since the traction control is controled by the ABS computer, it shoudl still work, be harder for it to do it job, and may even stall out the car under low RPM wheel spining acceleration.. But other then that...

Traction control is nice, BUT not in these cars, since it uses the rear brake circuit.. doesn't retard the timing, or cut back on the throttle like decent systems

hmmm sounds like in order to really defeat it I might have to swap the ABS Control unit too... finding a 94/95 5-spd is sounding like a better and better idea lol

rumour has it, that the ABS computers are the same.. and that the ones with T/C just have two extra terminals... I have no idea what you have to do to disable it completely, but it should work with the 5spd if driven normal..

well yah finding a 5spd s/c would be least then you won't have to buy a chip to kill of the 4R70W programing/error codes, or rewire the car for the a 5spd computer (which MAY not be THAT bad) ect, ect

with me, i had no choice, there's no 5spd 5.0L Mn12s out there.. so the swap had to be done :) BUT i swap out a AOD (or DOA? ) so it was a walk in the park..

You can always compare the price and pain of the swap to finding a 5spd with the same features,miles,colors, what not and see what's the better choice...

Well there's a 94 at a dealer here in washington for $7995 with 65,000 miles on it... all the same options mine has... the swap would cost me about $3000 or so that's with a reman tranny new ECU and so on... I don't really think you'd need to rewire for the 5-spd to my knowledge all the wires are already there...

Well you do need to swap out the tranny harness... which isn't THAT hard.. it's that damn shiftlock-cable that's a PITA to remove (least in my car, specialy since i want to keep everything reusuable:) ) but you can micky mouse it like alot of 5.0L boys have done with their 5spd swap, and keep the auto harness.. i also added the hooked up the neutral switch (both at the tranny and the clutch switch) like my car is wired just like a '91 5spd s/c and i only had to run 2 wires (a ground for the two switches, and from those 2 switches to the EEC)

$3000 isn't BAD i guess.. but my swap cost like that for a used tranny and in Canuck dollars..

Well for the extra $5000 you can have a car that already has a 5spd... think you can get least that for yours???
BUT the thing is, wiht a new car, what problems are gonna pop up soon after you recieve it as yours?? there's ways around making a car run good for abit then just go to **** a few weeks later..

Also didn't you just toss in a rebuilt/reman 4R70W into your car?? How about Jerry modding it, a high stall convertor and a chip burnt to turn it into a manual shift?? (1st is 1st, 2nd is 2nd, D is 3rd, hit botton for 4th) bet the guy at Reinhart <sp?> woudl be able to set you up nicely... and you'll still have a better tranny then the M5R2 will ever be :)

But it's all up to you and what you want i'm just tossing ideas out.. Alot of people didn't like me swaping in the 5spd into my car.. but it what i wanted (and since i bought the car to boot )

Back