Worst night at the track EVER...

lessonintorque

Soooo Embarassed. I put several thousands of dollars and soo much time in my SC and I cant hook up off the line!!! I ran a 16.3 (not gonna mention the worst run of the night and those that were there shouldnt either:confused: ) Im so confused. I have a brand new engine, a port and polish, a 3 angle valve job, kooks headers, flowmaster force II, spec stage 3 clutch, solid motor mounts, whole engine gasket matched, and a fake carbon fiber shift nob!!! so whats my problem? Ive never seen times so bad. Everything in the engine bay is brand new! I just spun my tires as onequicksc, and Flip and Mike can verify, I spun my tires past the 60ft mark almost every time.:eek: :eek: :confused: I think that Im gonna need counseling after this ordeal man Im sooo pi$$ed! sorry I had to vent,...didnt help im still pi$$ed.

It can be fustrating at the track, I am just learning my self. I have been to the track 2 times in the last month and those are my first runs.
I would have your car dynoed and tuned if possible, you will be able to increase your HP dramatically there.
Get drag slicks!! Do not go to the track with out them and then practice.
My 60 foot times have dropped from 2.2 2.3 range the first time to 1.85- 1.95 my second trip(thanks to my buddy Dave) and this is with a 5 speed. At this point my 1/4 times are not important, but learning to drive right is.

Gary

i know how you feel man. dont forget that the heat plays a big part in it. we will have to go next week and that way you can laugh at me when my 13 sec sc runs no where near that. what were your 60's and mph? i know my car needs to be tuned so bad a couple months ago i ran a low 14 with a 2.0 short at 87 mph??!!? i used to run 94 mph before my new motor and cam and fuel setup. so who knows with these cars. they are soo hard to get where they should be. maybe we can find a good place and have our cars dynoed tuned. sounds like we might both need it. brian

If you were really spinning that much, you can't expect to run good times. Get some slicks for the track if you are going to race a lot. well worth thr investment in saved miles on the street tires, an better times at the track as well.

Traction at OSW sucks. Don' t ever plan on getting your best times there unless it's the middle of winter and they just prepped the track just for you. Do you have Drag Radials on your car? If you're not into getting slicks, I would definitely suggest some drag radials just for increased traction. Florida summers sucks for traction eh? It wasn't even really that hot last night.

Last edited:
I've got your answer

Do what I did...take out a loan w/ the intention of buying a SC...or in your case...sell your's w/ the plan to buy another and once ya get the money...go buy either a 92-94 Eagle Talon TSi or a 90-94 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSx and you'll never worry about wheel spin...or loosing a race again! I just got my 92' Eagle Talon TSi and I've thrown about $1200 at it so far and wow! I'll never go back to a t-bird again!

Chad K.

Current - 92' Eagle Talon TSi
HKS SuperCiquential BOV
Ported Exhaust manifold
MSD Blaster RSV Coil Pack
Accel Performance wires
NGK plugs
Stage 2 Clutch - Steel Fork - throwout bearing
B&M Short throw
Full custom 3'' TurboBack Exhaust
Cold air intake
Upper Intercooler piping
Super-AFC contol unit
Greddy turbo timer
Dual pillar pod w/ Greddy Boost Guage & A/F Ratio
Milled Head's
Double valvesprings
5 angle Vavle job w/ new valves

Current - 2000 Explorer Sport (For Sale w/ 31,xxxmiles)

Past - 89' Tbird

Mike, you'll get there, it is frustrating at first, but don't throw in the towel just yet.

I KNOW your car was spinning for at least 2 seconds on the last run, hell....maybe closer to 3.

Get some rear spring air bags for that hop, some drag tires, shift at a lower RPM (by 4500) and I KNOW you'll be happier with the times on that thing.

Great to see you there and It was good to see a SC run regardless.

Remember, some of these real fast guys here started out with lousy time slips too.

Last edited:
Never loose a race again???

Well, you seem to have it all figured out, but what if you come across another eagle talon? Do you both win?

Mike, maybe you could take a different approach of attack until you get some slicks or something to dramatically help your launch. I think this might be hard for you, given your history of RX7 launches, but maybe try just cruising down making sure not to spin and see what you get. Then gradually increase your aggressiveness until you don't get any faster. The first run(and only so far) I made I basically left at idle and just spun a little. I only ran a 16.2 in my sub-stock Cougar. I'm thinking if you were racing me with your power you could have just walked off the line keeping up with me then when you got into a higher gear just nail it and kick my a$$ at the top end by at least half a second.
Kind of like messing with someone on the street when you know it's a slower car and you take off from the light and stay just ahead of them when thier trying like mad to pass you but they don't have anything for you.
I know this won't get you where you want to be, but maybe ease some of your intitial frustration.
What was your mph?

Kurt

thanks

thanks guys, I needed it. Its discouraging to put so much time and effort into something and not get the results you expected. Its just this is my first car with this much low end torque, rx-7 dont have crap for torque, but they have ultimate top end. I,m gonna put more into hooking up (gearing, air bags, etc...)and practicing driving before putting on a magna port. By the way kurt my mph was 89.3

nope

I race another talon and us both win? hehe...you forget buddy...
the name of the game is "I WIN" and that applie's to both racing and my theory on ditchin the bird and gettin a 1st Gen DSM...take this from a guy who has had a Bird...

Chad K.

awesome!! thanks for the advice, i'll plan to sell my sc tomorrow and go out and buy a turbo dsm because those cars never lose!
jerk.gif

You'll see how awesome those cars are when you spend more time working on it than you do driving it.

yeah...making it faster

So far with the money I've invested i'm pulling high 13's / low 14's in this high colorado elevation and that's a guestimate because my buddy pulls 13.7's and he take's me by half a car, and my other buddy is pulling 14.3's and I take him buy one car...
With all the time and money I invested in my bird I was'nt pulling near that and I spent half the time working on it in my driveway back home... Only problem I've had with this here talon of mine is a leak in the transfer case and that's an open recall getting replaced for free tommorow...
I hate to say it, but I've actually found something I love more than Ford...which I thought would never happen...but it has.

I held out for so long, I stayed oh so strong...but in the end I finally came along...

Chad K.

well, what were you expecting when you bought your bird? These cars weren't built for racing of any kind. It takes a lot more than basic bolt-ons to make these cars quick. This is only my opinion, but if you want a fast car with minimal investment look into a fox body mustang. I bought mine for $1700 and was running high low 14s/high 13s with barely any money invested in it. Not to mention the fact it's the most reliable car I've owned.
clean4.sized.jpg

Im slow but your a slowpoke!

:eek: :eek: :eek: Iver been put in my place by a slowpoke:confused: HAHA if you also read my title maybe... its all good man Ive always had a big mouth, and I need to be told sometimes. but I swear that im gonna MAKE my sc a fast car and there's no way in hell Im buying a stang (disclaimer: this has nothing to do with your stang ,her stang, his stang, or any resemblance to any stang living or dead) I just dont want one thats me If I was going to really get mean at the track I would go for a grand national gnx...But wait Im really not into american cars. I just like my sc and It WILL be giving lessonsintorque really soon, Or will blow my engine trying;) thats my pride kickin in

Back