From LXV6 to SC

1QuikV6

Ive owned my 94 LX V6 for over a year. Being my first car I love it to death. The body, the paint, interior, the handling. I love everything but the N/A 3.8. it just doesnt cut it.
So I was surfin around SCCoA and found an SC near here. Ive never driven, riden, or sat in one. But my heart skips a beat when I see one cruisin down the street. Ive wanted one since I could understand what they were. But somehow in the process of finding my first car I wound up with an LX.

My question(more like an opinion) is how impressed am I going to be after driving a N/A 3.8 for a year? Im expecting a lot, ill admit that. I have high expectations for these fine pieces of equipment. Im just really hoping I wont be unimpressed after a year of anticipation. I just want something that looks fast sitting still and turns heads. Not really a tire roaster. An SC turns heads all over the place and then whips some Camaros and ricers int he process. Seems to me that it doesnt get much better than that. Especially when the SC i want is BLACK and a 5speed!!!

I just HOPE that it impresses the begeesus out of me.

The SC will not let you down

Hello friend. I first fell in love with the SC since it first rolled off the assembly line but I never had the fortune to purchase it at the time. Years pasted and my friend had acquired one by a worker from his job. I drove the car gingerly at first to get the feel of the car at first. The car handles quite well even though the suspension needed some work at the time. My friend had teased me about my driving stating that I drive like an old woman.:) The "critic" was following me with a 240z and I was driving the SC which just received the new suspension components. I'd showed the punk how this "old lady driving" was all about!:D I had hit the gas on the expressway and the SC launched like you would'nt believe! The car is so fast that I left him 5 miles behind before I let him catch up!:D Since then the SC changed hands to his brother and finally to me! 14 years later the car that I loved back in the days was given to me and my brother. I am going to do alot of good to restore it and to make it better and faster. And to finally answer your question, you will be impressed.;)

My First SC

I believe my first words after stomping on the gas that first time on the test drive were "DAMN!!" and "Baby, where you been all my life". After having a Trans-GO shift kit installed, and yes letting it break in, I stomped on it and when it HIT second and jumped sideways, there was definitely a "HOLY SH#@!!!!!".
Even comparing it to my 1984 5.0 T-Bird, it has everything I wish my 84 had in terms of HP and torque. After driving 4 bangers for the last 4 or 5 years it was more than I had dreamed of. Suffice it to say, "You'll love it!!". Good luck and enjoy!

Anticipation was met with a grin

Ok guys, heres how it went. I met him at his house and he rode with me to the place where it was kept. It was sitting in the driveway under two tarps and a few bricks. I pullet the bricks off then began pullin the tarp back. The sun reflected off the black clearcoat and i immediately grinned. Then I saw the SC on the front bumper. By the time I pulled the tarps all the way off I was stunned. On the outside she was immaculate. The interior is however another story.
I peered inside and felt like crying. I console was in the back seat, the carpet was nonexistent, sound deadener was gone, seats were ripped, and roof leaked. Thankfully it was sunny that day. I put the key in and it didnt turn over. He said it hadnt been driven in 3 months. I pulled my car up to it and jumped it. Fired right up without hesitation and the blower was whistlin perfectly.
I followed him back to his house. As soon as I got on the interstate he gunned it and left me. I met up with him down the road where he was ridin next to a mint green 04 Tbird. Thats when we got off and went to his place.
I parked my bird, he got out, and I got in. I hopped into the torn and tattered seat, shoved the clutch in, and got movin. I was easy on it since hed put 1800 in the tranny and clutch. But the boost gauge begged to be twitched. So I went from 2nd back to 1st and nailed it. BOY DID THAT GAUGE MOVE!!! CAN WE SAY BOOST?!?!?! Shift to second came witha screech of the P255s and more seat punching torque. Thats when i got out of the accelerator witha reluctance.
About that time i noticed the temp gauge was going over to the H. And I also noticed some valvetrain noise. He admitted it needed a crank kit and a radiator, as well as some other stuff including the fact that the brake lights dont work. So needless to say it'd be a work in progress. But almost every 14 year old car does. Then again not many cars with 163k miles can move like that.
Would I buy an SC? ABSOLUTELY! That one? Possibly. Its eitehr that SC or a Gen II MTX SHO

If you don't mind, how much is he asking? It sounds like you've got a lot of work ahead of you if you decide to buy this one. I've seen quite a few SC's on the SCCOA board for reasonable prices that are in better shape than this one. There was a BEAUTIFUL 92 black on black 5-speed SC in western PA for around $4000. I've seen equally nice ones for less with higher miles. Personally, I'm not yet all that skilled when it comes to being an auto mechanic, but I'm learning. As luck would have it, I found one at a dealer for $6500 that was near mint. It's an AOD instead of a 5-speed, but nothing is perfect.
Either way, I hope things work out for you.

Hes askin 1800. Well I could see spendin an easy 5g's on one but im tryin not to go back into debt. With a lil luck ill get about 2500-3 for my LX or at least thats what im hoping for. I found a 93 MTX SHO in great condition for 2500. Problem is Id like to stay with the birds, but the performance and price of the SHO is tempting too especially since it'll keep up with an SC. But that SHO will never look as good as the SCs. :(

Last edited:
To super Coupe or not

Well, for my two cents worth, and with five birds sitting in my drive I can't imagine having anything else but a 89-97 T-Bird. I've got planejanes, LX's and a lonly SC. Love that SC. The wifes 94 with it's 4.6 is OK, But its out of the league from the SC. I can drive the Lx's and the Plane janes in the snow, but you better get your head examined before you go out in the slops with the SC.It doesn't do well with frost on the drive, guess what it might be like in serious snow or ice. Not me, thankyou.

When the leaves start to fly, the SC says good-bye till spring. Up on blocks, with a car cover over her, and a tarp wrapped under and over. Trickle charger strung out from uder the wraps. And the cylinders sealed for the cold spell, and anything else I can do to keep the weather away from her, and make time stop, at least until next driving year.

I've had Jags, Ferrari's, Alpha's, etc, they were nice for collecting skirts, but the SC is just FUN, and it still draws skirts, as well. But for me at this point in life, I prefere the FUN. And I have enough T-Birds, I doubt I'll ever have to buy another car, unless I buy another SC, LX, 93, 96, or 97 to complete my collection.

I don't have a 5.0 LX Might consider that too.

That's my two cents of it.
Al

i've driven faster cars than my SC, no doubt.......and i had an 87 Firebird Formula 350 that was faster off the line (although i dont think it would have taken the SC on top end or midrange) and it handled like it was on rails....but it also rode like a buckboard and started falling apart way before it's time..... The SC is a fantastic car, especially for the money. but you have to be patient workin on it, cuz no matter what job you are doing, you have to take 9 things off first to get to the part you are trying to change!

Id settle for a 4.6!!! I have the plane old 140 hp 0-60 in 15 minutes V6. A 4.6 is a mindboggle from that 3.8. Drivin an SC for the first time (5 speed by the way) showed me what i was missin. If i could love a 140hp LX then Hot D%&# that SC rocks my world.
I just dont see how it can be a daily driver for me. I drive 400 miles a week. that SC has 163k on it. how long is it going to last me before I start replacing MORE stuff? I wish the SCs were as remarkably reliable as the LXs. ive got 117 on mine and it still rides, drives, and handles like brand new. Then my neighbor has a 91 SC with 75k that sits more than it is driveable.
I guess reliability is the downside of Supercharged perfomance. What a price to pay for a performance automobile.

I picked up my '89 SC for almost the same price as what you're looking to pay - and it's black and 5-speed. It needed some work, and once I got it home and got it all ripped apart I found that it needed quite a bit more work than I had realized. And recently my car has been sitting quite a bit, which is a real shame, especially since this is peak SC fun time (some call it summer)! But every time I get on the gas again after it has been sitting (and I drive a 4-cylinder ranger in the mean time), it's all worth it. You may want to consider waiting on the SC until you can afford to have a reliable second car (the LX), cause you will need something for your trips to the auto parts stores and to get to work/school. It sounds to me like you could find a better deal on an SC if you just had a little more money. Anyway good luck in whatever you choose,

Matt:)

Yea, thats what a lot of people have told me. Thats also the reason my dad went and found a Mustang GT. he said if I want performance to go with an american V8. My problem is everyone has a stang and my insurance would blow through the roof. Money isnt really the issue, I can get a loan. I just want to invest a loan in something that isnt gonna need a whole lot more sunk into it. I borrowed 3k for my LX and recently paid it off. Aside from a tranny rebuild its been a great car. oh and my drivers side mirror blew off at around 100 while chasen a Civic Si on the interstate. No other real problems and shes got 117k on the clock.

I understand. My insurance is very cheap here because MD considers my car a "luxury" car (although my recent ticket is probably going to change that a bit - to think I own an SC and got pulled over driving a 4-cylinder Ranger :p ). And you're right, everyone has Mustangs, and I rarely see one that impresses me anymore because they are so plentiful.

Later,

Matt

I got pulled in my 94 LX V6 doing 87 in a 55. Then i got pulled a week later doing 62 in a 40. My LX is considered a 2 door sedan by VA standards. Im 17 and pay 249 bucks a month for a 140hp car!!!
Ill get a faster bird one day. Gotta get this one sold first. My daily driver will never be anything less than a bird. Mustangs are plentiful except for the classics. Every head turns when we drive around in dads 66 GT.

5.0 sport to SC?

I was the proud owner of a '92 5.0 Sport for 140,000 miles; ordered new from the factory. I had chosen this over a virtually identical SC on the dealer lot that was a '91 SC. The reason for the 5.0 over the SC was reliability. Over the 10 years I hwned her, she needed only one tranny rebuild, one front A-arm, routine A/C service, and as sold with 140,000 miles was not burning ANY oil. I miss her, but now wonder if the SC would be too much trouble. I want a 5-speed SC terribly, but it seems the SC may be too much upkeep. I only wish they put the 5-speeds in the 5.0!

5 speed 5.0

I think thats the downfall to the V8 Birds. 5 speed V8s would kill some nice F-bodies.
Like I said, Ive got 117k (bought it with 96k) on my 3.8 so I dont think that the V6 is any less reliable as long as its in N/A form. Any time you blow an engine there goes reliability and longevity out the window unless its very well upkept. Im so tempted to go get the 1800 outta the bank and go get it. I lost sleep over it after my best friend took delivery of a 93 Lightning.I used to spank his 89 5.0 F150 with my lil 3.8. Im not sure that will be the case against a 351 powered Lightning. Maybe an SC could whip it.

if you want a 5 speed 5.0, BUILD IT!

If you want a 5-seed 5.0, just build it. You can find everything you need on the internet and junkyards. It is a large task, but it is do-able. My friend has a 1990 stang LX 5.0 (he was originally lookin at birds, but opted for the stang instead) and when his transmission died he bought everything to turn it into a 5-speed and thats his current project. Meanwhile he is gonna help me build my LX into the ultimate sleeper!

Well when the engine goes in that SC I guess I'll jus drop a nice 5.0L in it. Maybe even go modular with a 4.6. Youve got an LX too huh? 5.0 or 3.8?

Has anyone out there seen an SC with the blower removed, and a normal intake installed? I wonder if the lil' V6 would be more reliable, and fun enough to justify the expense. If it keeps one more SC around, maybe it would be worth it.

Yes, i also have an LX 3.8. It may be gone by next summer though to make room for a nice cutlass (70-72). I am going to make it look and sound mean and sell it. Right now it is in HORRIBLE shape (i got it for free). I also was going to drop a 5.0 in it. It is a larger task than everyone makes it out to be. You have to replace lots more than most people tell you in order for it to run well and be reliable. The wiring is an absolute bitch. And also if you were going to go for a 5.0 dont get the T-bird 5.0, go for the mustang HO 5.0 from a 94+ stang. It is a much more high-preformance engine. But whatever way you go (4.6, 5.0, HO 5.0) there are tons of preformance mods intended for mustangs that you can use. Any of those engines is an upgrade from the 3.8 anyway. I curse for for using aluminum heads on a cast iron block...

Attachments

• all.jpg
    all.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 88
Back