Spinning my blower faster...couple questions.

SCobsessed

Hey

I am entertaining spinning my blower faster and am curious for some opinions.
--First question.....can i machine my existing pully down successfully and get a couple more PSI from it?...If i cant then ill probably get a 5% OD pulley
--secondly, my car has about 115 thousand miles on it and has custom 2-1/2 inch exaust from the headers back.....will i blow my head gaskets for sure?....do i need to do my collectors and or headers?....i know Bill Evanoff says I should....and he is probably right, anyone been spinning their blower faster on a higher mileage car suchas mine without any probloms?

Thanks for any input

Keith
89 5 speed, 3.27 gears exaust and a few minor tweaks

It will cost you more to have your pulley machined than to buy a $60 pulley, besides it’s too thin to turn it down anyway. You need to remember it can take about 60hp to spin the blower at full tilt, so a thin pulley would probably break and cause some “minor” problems. You Should be fine with a 5 or 10% pulley.

Jeff

Originally posted by SCobsessed
(snip)
--secondly, my car has about 115 thousand miles on it and has custom 2-1/2 inch exaust from the headers back.....will i blow my head gaskets for sure?....do i need to do my collectors and or headers?....i know Bill Evanoff says I should....and he is probably right, anyone been spinning their blower faster on a higher mileage car suchas mine without any probloms?

Thanks for any input

Keith
89 5 speed, 3.27 gears exaust and a few minor tweaks

By saying "from the headers back" do you mean that you have Kooks or Mac headers on your car?

By asking "do i need to do my collectors and or headers" what do you mean?

'bird

umm

srry my bad....I mean...do i need aftermarket headers?--Just have factory manifold....or do i need to modify or port the collectors...?...I hear it's a good idea.....Or can i just put a smaller pulley on and not have to worry about such things?

Last edited:
It's not the pulley or the boost that blows headgaskets. Every Ford 3.8 blows it's headgaskets at some point in time, supercharger or not. Increasing the boost increases the chances of detonation, which hastens the demise of the already crappy head gaskets. If you really want to keep your car, plan on doing headgaskets. If you don't plan on keeping your car, then don't bother with an OD pulley, and just keep the thing running cool. Running the motor hot is a bigger problem than running additional boost. If you car runs hotter than the "0" on your temp gauge, I'd be a lot more worried about that than I would the boost level.

thanks

thanks...i kindof figured that.....my car runs nice and cool now since i took out the AC condensor....durning tha day it will usually at most hit the N.....so hopefully that keeps it healthy and happy for a while longer....i may add some boost, Still thinking about it

Thanks

Keith

I'm running a 3% pulley (stock '89-93 pulley on a '95 sc) and see 14lbs at WOT. My exhaust is completely stock as of today. (It's in the plans either this month or next) and have no problems (knock on wood) thus far. With your exhaust set-up, you should have no problems running a smaller pulley. I wouldn't go for the 10% pulley until you have some headwork done (port and polish) though just to be on the safe side. The heads are pretty restrictive on the exhaust side (from what I've researched and seen) compared to the intake side. Getting air into the engine is not usually the problem, it's getting it out. And if it doesn't get out fast enough, engine temps rise. If you don't believe me, try driving a vehicle that has clogged catalitic converters! It'll heat up in a hurry. And the heat is what causes HG failure.

And the stock temp guage is trash. It is not accurate at all. If it is anywhere in the "norm" area, you should be fine. My fan doesn't even kick on until it hits just to the right side of the "m" so being over "o" is not really a bad thing. It does mean it is warmer, but if you want to really know what your car is running, get an aftermarket temp guage. That'll tell you much better.

Ya, although when looking at the gauge, generally 180 deg is below the "N", 195 (stock thermostat) is between the "N" and "O", and the fan comes on at 210 which is, as you know, at the "M". I like to keep it at or below 195 for the sake of the headgaskets.

cool

well Im going to check out some prices for an OD pulley now, thaks allot for the info.

Keith
89 5speed 3.27 gears, exaust and intake done....Most addictive car ive ever driven:)

Back