Electric water pump

kuhnga

I am interested in getting a CSI or Moroso or any other brand electric water pump to fit the car. The price range for these are $270 to $380, I am not concerned as much wih the price if it will work with out having to dump alot of extra time and money into it.

The main reason I want to use it is to get rid of the AC pulley all together and free up the engine compartment even more. Ultimately it sould also free up a little HP.

Has anyone tried this?
Does anyone have time to fabricate whatever mounting brackets it may need?
I know this may be a little extreme, but is anyone else interested in this setup.

Thanks Gary

Gary, I doubt anybody has done this yet. I suspect the biggest challenge would be fitting the electric pump to the timing cover/water pump assembly. Since I don't plan on losing my AC anytime soon, I wouldn't even consider this unless I could keep the AC. You might be able to cut up an old waterpump and modify it to be a mounting place for the electric pump.

Good Luck.

I have wanted to do this.Here is some of my thoughts on it.

You would need to make a block off plate to cover the timing cover where the water pump
was bolted to.You could use the water pump gasket as the template to
make the cover and bolt holes.and bolt the plate to the water pump studs and bolts.

I haven't seen your electric water pump.But you could then machine
a hole that line up to the water inlet in the timing cover and the pump.

just make the plate out of thick enough aluminum to do the drilling and taping.
and bolt the electric pump to the aluminum plate.use rubber o-ring to seal.

I t would be a peice of cake to do.You just need a peice of aluminum maybe
one inch thick.and a mill,drill bit,tap,boreing head to cut the inlet hole for
the eletric waterpump.

randy:cool:

Last edited:
I have a machine shop. I live along interstate 70 in IL.
about 80 miles east of st louis,or about 130 miles from
WENZVILLE,MO where the shoot out is being held.

I got your PM .havent had time to answer .Been to
buisy answering post on this board.:D

The only problem with the electric water pumps for a street vehicle, or more so for a daily driven vehicle, is that electric water pumps are not designed to be run for long periods of time or with thermostats either. On a race only vehicle, this woudl be a good mod, but if this is something you want to last for a while and not have to worry about failing, I would not attempt it. If you do do this and this is a daily driven car, expect to replace the water pump more often than you think, and always keep an eye on the temp guage because it coudl fail at any time, or you coudl have a wire break. Also, this will put more strain on the elctrical system of the car which from what I've read is relatively weak and you might have a hard tim ekeeping batteries charged unless you upgrade to high am alternator(150 or more)

A friend of mine is running an electric water pump on his daily driven Mustang for over a year with no problems. I am not trying to disagree with HSKR, just letting you know what I have seen. Good Luck with whatever you choose.

Victor

By the way it is a CSI unit

No, it is a peice that can be bolted on for racing.when done
at the track.take it off and put the stock pump back on.

randy

Last edited:
hmm. got me thinkin here.

The big body impala ss came with an electric water pump. Maybe those run in an on off cycle? This is interesting.

Either that, or the newer electric water pumps are built a lot better?? I've always been told they weren't good for street driven vehicles. Maybe if they were hooked up like the e-fans to only turn on at a certain temp or when heater is on, they might not be too bad. I know with a water restrictor instead of a t-stat, and the e-fans hooked to manual switch the electric water pumps woudl be great at the track for cool downs if they had a manual switch as well.

Guys I have thought about this as well and intend to do it if someone else does not. Have a car where I am eleminating all power if I can find the right steering rack for manual steering. One other is just loosing A/C.

Please let me know what you come up with.

Moroso electric water pump drive

How about leaving the stock water pump and adding a Moroso electric water pump drive kit. This is an eletric motor that mounts to the water pump bolts and comes with two coged pulleys and a belt. Their very universal and I'm sure that you could get it to fit the SC.

I had one on a 351W mustang once. One cool thing about it is that you can (if you wire it to do so) leave it on when the engine is not running. With the water pump turning and the radiator fan on, you can cool down real nice in the staging lanes at the track with the engine off.

The car I want to do this is not a daily driver, all I do is work on it:D
Besides the occasional trip to the track(towed) I put less than 500 miles a year on the car.
I looked at the clogged pulley system, but I think it defeats the purpose of what I want to do, eliminate.
There are electric pumps that flow up to 60gph at 5amps.

Randy- So when do you want to start working on this plate?:) I will send you a pump.
Gary

Last edited:
Well I am a racer ,so it should of been started yesturday.:p

Let me finsh my coffee and I will go out in the shop and see if I
have a peice of aluminum to use.I need two peices one for you
and a peice for mine.

If I would take this job.What is your time line you'll give me.
How long be fore ST LOUIS do you want this.

I am puting together my motor and tranny for my SC so time
is tight.For the race.

I have been kicking around this mod for a year now.But havin't
made the time for it.I run a stock motor so I haven't done it.
But it would be a bolt on so I may go for it.Since C.W. has
thrown me in the mod class I just as well go all out with my
bolt on's.I am wanting to go for the fastest internal stock
SC.It s my own goal to do_On the dyno & track.

It would be better if we lived closer, so we could work together on this,
it would turn out to be a better peice.I don't know if I would take the
time to make it look trick.You my need to do that later.Just proto one
for now.

randy

Gary,

I've thought about this. Tony and I even talked about it at WFC5 but he thought an electric pump wouldn't fit. Space between the radiator and the block. Tony told me I would have to do what Randy & Connie is proposing. It's been in the back of my mind because I think I can get the shop doing the P/S pulley to machine the plate for us. The thing is, can I generate enough interest in the P/S pulley so that the shop would be willing to do more things for us. That's the catch. I mean, the shop's in it to make a little bit of money but if I can't even get 10 people to buy the P/S pulley then I doubt they would machine a plate for 3 people. I guess he might but it might cost a lot considering he would have money in CAD drawings and such. If you can get me a CAD drawing of it I'll see what it might cost to machine it.

Randy,

Are you talking to me or Duane? I would perfer you make the first one as a pattern and then, if needed, possibly look at making more. I do not see a high demand anyway. If the 3 of us are interested, we could at least spilt the cost 3 ways on the first one. Ideally, Randy could put it on his car, test and modify as needed. What do you guys think?

Gary

Randy,

I'm not sure what you are talking about. I don't think anyone is stealing your design if that's what you are thinking. As I said, Tony and I talked about it at WFC5. I was just sharing that information with Gary about what Tony said and his thoughts.

I only proposed another option and I didn't mean to take away from your business. I'm not even sure if the shop would even be interested in doing it.

As far as us three, I'm interested if something can be built and it works correctly. I'm game. As I said before, I've thought about this before so it's nothing new to me. Gary just posted something about it on this board.

I'll remove your name on the P/S pulley. I'm not sure what that has to do with it.

I was looking into this a few months ago..I was going to gutthe stock pump an drun an external electric water pump..Unfortunately the lack of room made me say fook it till a later date...The one system I really like is the one that goes in factory location an dhas a free wheeling pulley attatched to it..Therefor no custom belts or pulleys needed..Now anyone willing to make that?..Im in

Back