Thread: Did they put the M5R2 in '94 Explorers?

Did they put the M5R2 in '94 Explorers?

That is my question. If not, anyone know what 5-speed they DID put in them? Also, I'm having trouble bleeding my system ('89 SC 5-speed). Just put a new clutch and slave cylinder in. Can't get all the air out. Is there something special that I have to do to get the cylinder bled?

Thanks,

Matt

Explorers and Rangers were equipped with the M5R1 tranny, a bit smaller version of the M5R2. Some parts interchange, but not a lot. The only other Ford vehicle I know of that got the M5R2 were the 1988 - up F-150s.

cheers
    Ed Nicholson
    SCCoO

interesting stuff.

Are the new f150's still using the m5r2, if not what year did they stop?

JH

Thanks for the reply. The reason I ask is because my Uncle has a '94 Explorer and just had his clutch replaced (200K on original), and he said that the people at Ford told him they hate working on his type of transmission. They said that to bleed his slave cylinder they have to turn it on it's side. Do I need to do this to bleed mine? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks alot,

Matt

I have one

I have a '94 Explorer, it's a 4.0 5spd Sport (2dr). Lookin' at the trans the other day, physically it resembles the heck out've an M5R2 but the bellhousing is smaller in diameter. The main body looked dead-on but the tailhousing is different because the shifter is in the top cover instead of the tailhousing like our SC's.

Like Ed sed, internals might be worth grabbin'.

'bird

here's a pic of mine

Talking You just have to be smarter than the Slave

I have posted the method I used to bleed a Slave cylinder on a Ranger B4.

Use a large screwdriver to push the throwout bearing carefully to the rear of the trans, then open the bledder screw. After closing the bleeder release the throwout bearing. This sucks up more fluid and takes up most of the air that is trapped inside. Make sure to check the res often or you will run it dry after about 2-3 cycles.

Jeff

By the way, it has 161,000 miles on it and the trans shifts pretty well, just a tiny bit of slop in the shifter. Maybe we really need to investigate the internals (ratios, etc) to see if they might be a semi-permanent cure for the usual M5R2 headaches.

'bird

How many times have you speed shifted the tranny in the Explorer, as that seems to be the main cause of the failures in the M5R2. If it is driven normaly the tranny will last for a very long time.

Originally posted by 1BADSC
    How many times have you speed shifted the tranny in the Explorer, as that seems to be the main cause of the failures in the M5R2. If it is driven normaly the tranny will last for a very long time.
    True, this particular trans might've been babied throughout its life and if so that could explain why it shifts so smoothly. The length of the shifter makes racin' little tough but I've put it through its paces a few times

Still wonderin' what the ratios are,

'bird

bleeding

there's a tool called the "Phoenix Injector" that is awesome for bleeding these types of clutches and brakes also, including ABS. actually there are different versions of this tool but you can get it off one of the tool trucks (Matco, Snap-On, etc). You can bleed the system from the bottom, at the slave, by injecting fluid in there and forcing the air out the top. I know several Mechanics at local ford dealers that have this too. Like i said it works on brakes too.

Got it!

Thanks guys,

Finally got the clutch bled. I think the slave cylinder was just stuck because we put a prybar in there and moved it a little, and then it bled just fine. Thanks for your help,

Matt