Confused about lowering springs

omaha6ne

Ok, I want to lower my car. I'm reading 1.5" might be to much.
I call TireRack all they handle are the 1.5". So, I'm thinking
1" or 1.25" where can I get a set?

Now I'm only thinking of lowering the front. Call me a dope but
what is wrong with putting weight in the trunk and not installing
rear lowering springs on the rear? These cars are so light on the
back end anyway, the way I see it by putting sand in and around the spare I'll get that inch or so just by doing that.

I'll have 255/45/17 Yok's on as soon as my wheels come in, FYI

thx, GB

Why add completely unneccessary weight to the car? It will place more load on the engine/drivetrain (be it a small load, but a load none the less), more load on the brakes, and it will alter the balance of the car. Not to mention hurting acceleration and ET's. Why not just go ahead and install the rear coils, it's not difficult at all. Plus most lowering springs come as full kits, not just a pair of front or rear springs.

-Rod

You can get a 1.25" drop with the Tokico springs (I know, some say negative things about the Tokico's, but I've had the Illumina II shock/spring combo for over a year now with no problems). Some of the positives about the setup: 1) you get to maintain the electronic ride control feature, 2) I have not had any alignment issues caused by too much negative camber. For some other options, check with the folks at www.shox.com
(and don't put extra weight in the trunk, unless you are haulin' bootleg whiskey)

Call me a dope

Gary don't be a dope...order a complete set of springs and have a shop install them for you. I would suggest H&R because the front is lowered 1.7" and rear is only 1.5". If your worried about sitting too low in the back or tire rub...add a set of air bags (I did), they will restrict travel and raise the rear about 1/2".

If you lower the front and leave the rear raised it will drop the front about another 1/2" and your likely to tear the air dam off on the first speed bump you go over. Adding weight to level a car that is already about 400 lbs overweight doesn't make much sense.

Something else to consider...lowered cars are considerably harder to work on. I have to use a little jack to lift the car enough to even fit a regular floor jack under it. If I had it to do over again, I would leave the stock springs in.

David

i must say that i hate the way the sc's look when lowered a friend of mine lowered his 90 35th anneversery edition and looks like crap. Personally I think that when lowered they look even longer like a chevy caprice. but thats just what i think.

hey wanna buy my tokicos -1.25
and Ill get a new set of h+r's or something
:) Josh
IMO-the sc looks better lowered as long as there is a good tire\wheel combo with it

Brianas said:
IMO-the sc looks better lowered as long as there is a good tire\wheel combo with it

What are you looking to get for the Tokicos?

Karl

Eibach part# 3522-140 lowers the car 1.2" in front and 1" in the
rear, its for the N/A T-Birds with the same spring rate.
Vidar.

Last edited:
Brianas said:
I'm interested, too. Whacha want for the springs? Sharon.

epconey said:
i must say that i hate the way the sc's look when lowered a friend of mine lowered his 90 35th anneversery edition and looks like crap. Personally I think that when lowered they look even longer like a chevy caprice. but thats just what i think.

The sc's look soooo much better lower, with less wheel gap is just gives you a better look on the road, and a more mean stance when you look at it...im sure almost everyone will agree, 1.5 is perfect for these cars, especially with a 17 inch whell it looks sharp, and you really dont hit that many things i havent hardly scraped on anything, you have to be a lil bit more careful some places but its well worth it to me

1.5 drop OK

I have a set of Eibach 1.5" drop springs on my 90. I rarely bottom out, but take it slowly over bumps and dips. Hey where are Yall in Nebraska? I'll be in Omaha from the 23rd till the 1st (just south of Papillion). Note, as previously mentioned, you will create some front end damage if you only drop the front. I have a hard time keeping my air dam off parking blocks. Sounds like the way to go is air bags in the back. JJ

I second what David N. said. I have the 1.5" Eibach with Illumina II setup and I'm not so sure I like it. The reason I'm not so sure is that not long after I had those installed, I got new tires. 0.5" less diameter to be exact. To get the same diameter tire to fit on the stock rim, I was limited to one brand that was going to cost me like 100-200 more bucks, so that idea was thrown out the window. So, unfortunately, I lowered it even more (.25"). Like it was mentioned before, I also need the bags before I pass my final judgement. Already, on a foggy morning, I accidentally ran over a rock about the size of a softball. Saw it too late. It bent a brace that connects the subfloor (under the rear seats) underneath the driveshaft. I will try the bags and next set of tires, I'm going back to stock size. We'll see after that.

Back