supercharger porting

seawalkersee said:
Thats kind of my point. I am not really sure what the dangers of this territory are. I have seen the guys list 3/8" of porting as what they do. Is that on both outlet and total on of 3/8" on the inlet? I am confused. This guy has a half an inch. That is HUGE and I want to know what I can do to get the extra pushin outta the huffer.

Chris
Keep in mind that the blower j57ltr posted pics of is an early model.

Someone also mentioned that the stock top & intercooler would hamper any performance gains from blower porting. Based on how my late blower turned out I'd hafta disagree with that.

70mm BBK +
ported late inlet plenum & blower +
early pulley +
stock top +
stock intercooler +
modified exhaust

= 18 pounds of boost

All of this is with a 150,000+ mile blower, no teflon left on the rotors.

'bird

Last edited:
But you must agree that with even a double IC and raised top the car has quicker throttle response and makes a big difference. :)

That is my modified blower,but the pic is old as it does not show the wedge piece that i installed.It is the piece that sits under the rotors on the late style blowers.

92strokedbird said:
But you must agree that with even a double IC and raised top the car has quicker throttle response and makes a big difference. :)
There was a session at the strip before I ported the blower where the only mods were the 70mm BBK, my super-secret-ghetto-top ;) , and my double IC with trick tanks :p ...went from 15.6 to 14.8 ET :eek: , throttle response was indeed a lil crisper on the street too.

'bird

What does your super secret ghetto top cost? Since its ghetto can I pay you with monopoly money? That would be sweet and you would sell a ton...just think...You could OWN boardwalk...

Anyone have results yet on one of those custom rear inlet setups? Wynn, How much do you charge to make the custom 94+ to the 93 plenum. I saw one once and I am pretty sure it was you that had it for sale.

Anyway. I want to know what you guys who have the BIG inlet at the rear of the blower are doing. I seriously believe that once you are at that level that the lower intake becomes a HUGE restriction.

Chris

Last edited:
seawalkersee said:
What does your super secret ghetto top cost? Since its ghetto can I pay you with monopoly money? That would be sweet and you would sell a ton...just think...You could OWN boardwalk...
Nah, I think we tried thinkin' out the idea of a fantasy SC town before. Manny and P_racing's parties gettin' busted all the time, Manny testin' up & down the steets at all hours of the night, Manny...

seawalkersee said:
Anyone have results yet on one of those custom rear inlet setups? Wynn, How much do you charge to make the custom 94+ to the 93 plenum. I saw one once and I am pretty sure it was you that had it for sale.

Anyway. I want to know what you guys who have the BIG inlet at the rear of the blower are doing. I seriously believe that once you are at that level that the lower intake becomes a HUGE restriction.

Chris
That inlet plenum (still have it) adapted a late blower to the vacuum hookups on an early car.

late931886.jpg

As far as restriction on the inlet of the late blower I just don't see it, at least on the boost gauge or time slips. On mine, I left 1/8" gasket surface around the blower inlet and concentrated strictly on directing the airstream path around the inner walls (around the rotors) instead of into the center of the rotors like so many seem to insist on doin'. The center of the rotors get enuff "fill" as it is just from the fact that the late blower exposes the center by design.

I know yer probably tired of hearin' it but the time slips don't lie, Lola is gettin' 90% of her new-found power on blower porting alone. C'mon down and take her for a spin, you'll see what a somewhat conservative porting job can do :D .

Can't wait to apply these techniques to an early blower.

'bird

I thought that was you. I had JUST got into the sccoa site when I saw that for sale. Wanna sell it? I DO have real money if you insist. I think you misunderstood my restriction part of me last post. I ment the actual intake manifold. I would have to look at mine but is not the hole at the rear of the intake smaller then the intake at the rear of the blower? Do you open it up as well?

Chris

seawalkersee said:
I thought that was you. I had JUST got into the sccoa site when I saw that for sale. Wanna sell it? I DO have real money if you insist. I think you misunderstood my restriction part of me last post. I ment the actual intake manifold. I would have to look at mine but is not the hole at the rear of the intake smaller then the intake at the rear of the blower? Do you open it up as well?

Chris
Don't wanna go too far with sellin' anything in this thread (coughcough250cough), drop an email through my sig if interested.

I started to comment on the lower intake part of your post but got lost in everything, kinda forgot. According to others, the lower intake opening is somewhat of a restriction. Chris Wise opened his up way back when and got outstanding results. Don't know if the rest of us can hang with Chris but here's a few pics of one for a fella in Canada. A lil bit of sanding and it'll be ready for its trip to da great white nort...eh!

int1888.jpg

int1878.jpg

int1938.jpg

int7248.jpg

ninja sawzall say git er done!

'bird

How come I cant send you a PM. Anyway, how much bigger did you make that thing? I also believe that that is going to be a major choke point in the system. All I need to do is put a guage on both sides and measure the pressure drop. Now if you can just port it and make it work then that takes care of a lot. The problem is I see welding on there. So IMHO I think it needs to be made bigger and aparently welded cause the bolts dont fit no more.

Chris

just invert it and forget the super duper parts . center flow 4x4 opening water to air ic need raised hood but who has a stocker now adays? :D :D :D :eek:

I dont know how to do it but I did . pictures in my webshots link .

wynn could do one easy. he is a wiz with the tig and mig .

finally I can assemble the unit :). I used nitromors to take out the paint. Surface that allready had been glass bead plasted was easy...but the main case was harder to work with. If the paint surface has been plasted broken I guess the nitromors is a lot more effective. Anyhow now the cases are clean and for now it´s staying without any top coat(if I get crazy idea about polishing ;)..!).

Today I´m assembling the unit and I will put some pics when it´s done and ready. Still have to do little spacer between the coupler spring and nose shaft. I´m staying with this setup(no rattle I hope when the spring has nylon etc. spacer ;)!).

It´s sure been a long project and I´m not doing it again :))..better not say never tho...

hope it spins ;)...clearances were ok and I´m checking them again with the case tightened but the gears still out so if there is something I still can take it apart and not ruining the new rotorbearings..
cheers,sami

PS: exept the blower to be in order this week.

http://www.student.oulu.fi/~samila/ahdin2/new/

some new pics :). almost doen..tomorrow I´m assembling the gears and still have to do a spacer from really thin sheet metal to bring the case clearance to normal since the rear end has warped little during the welding. anybody happen to know the rear end case clearance stock? roots blowers normally are set to 0.25mm...but how about eaton m90? Well anyhow the leakage thru there will be minimal after it spuns up since volumetric efficiency increases as the blower sppeds up so I´m not going to worry about it+if the clearance is more I can speed it up even more ;)...

So if anyone has blower lying around and would be generous to measure the cap between the rotor ends and the case at the rear end that would be really nice :).

charger assembled
http://www.student.oulu.fi/~samila/remmisccoa/

thats it :)...have to measure what the porting did to the charger when it´s on the car etc..I´ll post some info on efficiencys and so on when car is on the road and I can measure the intake temps and so on..

thanks for everyone that has helped with this project :)!

PS: Isn´t it just the same as long as we all have supercharged car with m90 ;)..don´t kick me out cause I drive BMW :). Thanks everyone!
Hope this project gave some info for others too. I wouldn´t do it again. better say never tho...and if someone has the measurements I would still be happy to compare.

MIKE 38sc said:
Well yeah you could use that. I hope you put duct tape over the needle bearings so you dont get shavings in them.
What did you use as a guide to determine how much metal to remove?
You do understand that the blower works on 120 degree :confused: timing dont you?

Mike, What is 120 degree Timing ?

If you look at the rotors, they have a "twist to them" this twist opens at a particular rate if you look at the triangle at the top. There are Three paddles on each rotors which spin in a circle. 120* x 3 = 360*. Since there is an angle to the cut they are and must be timed so they dont pulse badly.

I think thats it ;)

Chris

Back