Air Conditioning Repaired...sweet and cheap

Katoom

Well: The boys at Red Tek make a pretty nice product. I filled up the A/C on the cat today with R12A.

I found it at UAP for 14 bucks a can. The car took two cans and it works sweet.

I also had to buy the low side adapter fitting for 6.95....a buddy of mine gave me an extra charging hose for nothing

They have everything available to completely service A/C

Cans of compressor oil
Cans of system drier (in case you open your system up)
Cans of genereal duty leak stop
Cans of heavy duty leak stop
Cans of non ozone harmful R12A refrigerent
They also make a clear plastic device that you press on your low pressure fitting and it takes a sample of your refrigerent and tells you if you need to add oil to the system for the compressor.
Pretty sweet. I'm going to rig up some pressure gages on mine to be more accurate.
They also sell screw on fittings that convert the R-12 fitting on our car to the R134 fitting that the charging hose needs.

A few points to remember though....if your system has R12 or R134, do not release any to the atmoshere. Take the car to a garage that can properly evacuate the system and dispose of the harmfull stuff.
Also, don't mix Red-Tek with this other stuff.

Always wear good gloves and a face mask too. If you have a leak, this stuff will give you major frost bite. Treat it like propane.

Last edited:
Nice work, Rick!

Was this a pricey fix overall?

My car had already been converted to R134 before I bought it, fortunately for me, but I know there are still many of our members with the older stuff, and it's just not feasible for many of them to do the switch-over. This may be the perfect solution.

Does this new "R12A" cool as well or better than the original refridgerant?

Cheers,

Sean

Well, you could keep your beer in the car if that means anything to you.....yes it cools better than 12 or 134, and is supposed to draw less on the compressor too.

It cost me a whopping 50 bucks to fix mine. They do sell a kit for 69.00 that comes with hoses, fittings, one can leak stop and two can R12A. So for most people, it's under 100 bucks.

Last edited:
hey right on rick.

that is a cheap alternative to the garage method.
good point about the refridgerant being nasty stuff.If ingested you could die or get cancer then die.

What to do about my ac?

:confused: Hey yall,i have a 1990 sc [Love it] but the ac is not as cold as it should be and was told that the seals break off in the system and cause it to clog up and that i should replace the whole system for about 1200.00 has anyone ran into this problem? this is a second car for me but i would love to drive it more than nights and cooler days

Pfffftt what a LOAD you were fed Paula, yes the seals dry out and when you do the retro and buy the kit you get all new seals anyway. $1200 huh...ya...not on yer life. I did my own and have muchos crappola to replace converetd to R134 which now from what I read will be R12A for like $600.00. I had lines to replace the receiver dryer and uhhh errr (gawd I have been away far too long ) that gizmo thingmabob that on our cars you have to replace the whole tube not just the gizzmo. Is that HIGH TECH talk or what LMAO

Anyone else used this Red Tek product lately? Curious if its still being used in our older systems or if everyone has gone the R134A retrofit route.

Been there done it on 3 vehicles all had 134A so the correct fitting was already there.
One 2000 Toyota Echo my daughter in laws one 99 Taurus(mine) Added one can of seal sealant then the R12A. Works great.
90SC my sons, already was converted to 134A added the red tek R12a they all have the lime green leak dye in them, works fantastic.

Jail me but I evacuated nothing, 134A and 12A are compatible.:D

I have a brand new bottle (20 lb? - standard BBQ propane sized) of R12a sitting in the shed.

It's there for the taking if anyone can use it.

My rides, 'cept the '69 Lincoln, have been 134a converted.

Bruce

Bruce did you mean R-12 which is what was used before R-134A, or R-12A which is current and available at Canadian Tire, Benson's and other auto-parts stored in Ontario.

I have a brand new bottle (20 lb? - standard BBQ propane sized) of R12a sitting in the shed.

It's there for the taking if anyone can use it.

My rides, 'cept the '69 Lincoln, have been 134a converted.

Bruce

I'll take it if no other takers. ) thanks

I think he is too Payton I bet your right and it is most likely R-12 the verbotten stuff LOL. We'll see what Bruce finds written on the tank.

I was looking on Red Tek's site and their larger cylinders of 12A are white too.

Back