What are these connections please...

This is obviously my AC unit...I was told that I am missing something from the AC by someone who saw a picture a while back....so two questions really...
1) whats that thing the arrow points to?
2) anything obvious missing here?
Thanks, Tom

Attachments

• ac.jpg
    ac.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 155
Well I dont know what the first 2 things connect to. But that thing on the back of your AC compressor is the popoff valve.
If you get too much freon or the system goes down causing abnormaly high pressures that popoff valve will open and vent freon until the pressure drops to a safe level.
I dont really see anything missing.:confused:

What year SC is it?

its a 90 AOD. Someone said "Wheres your clutch?" But my understanding is that the clutch is the wheel that the belt goes onto?! Anyway, the AC doesn't work, and though maybe there was some big ol' thing that was a miss there.

Yeah the clutch is in the pulley. I see the wires plugged into the clutch so its there.
Does the center peice of the pulley turn with the pulley when you turn on the AC?

the first pic is a plug for the block heater, you may not have one in the block thus that is why the connector is not used. Not all motors came with block heateres, usually only the northern cars did due to cold winters.

Hmmm

My understanding was that my block heater was the cord that looks like a normal 3 pronged plug......
Whats this.......?

Attachments

• plug.jpg
    plug.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 116
that 3 prong plug is for the block heater, the red?? plug in the first picture is the part that connects to a frost plug on the block (disconnected). The pic by the brake reservoir area is a connector for the "boost solenoid" or something available only on 89 SCs I believe. So your car is fine:D

It's a part that replaces a freeze plug in the block. It has a heater coil attached that goes down inside the water jacket of the block.

As far as the AC, if you turn it on and the clutch doesn't engage it could just mean the coolant leaked out of the system. The pressure switch won't allow the clutch to run with an empty system.

The part of the AC you showed in the pic. On my 90 there's a bent piece of metal over the hole. All it does though is keep the crap from shooting straight out and hitting someone.

As far as the AC, if you turn it on and the clutch doesn't engage it could just mean the coolant leaked out of the system. The pressure switch won't allow the clutch to run with an empty system.
Thats helpful to know. So if thats the case, do you refill/recharge?
All it does though is keep the crap from shooting straight out and hitting someone
LOL:p :D

I'd have it checked for leaks. Also, I converted mine from R12 to R134a. 134 is a fraction of the price of 12. Bought the conversion kit at Walmart for like $29. Worked fine for a few days then my weak condensor blew out. Had someone recharge it for me then.

More info

Could you tell me more about that conversion kit? What does that kit consist of and what is it called? Thanks, its been 110 in my car according to my BELL interior thermomoter... windows work well if your moving, but being caught in traffic(even in Maine)can be debilitating...

MTTod said:
It's a part that replaces a freeze plug in the block. It has a heater coil attached that goes down inside the water jacket of the block.

The part of the AC you showed in the pic. On my 90 there's a bent piece of metal over the hole. All it does though is keep the crap from shooting straight out and hitting someone.

I watched an A/C tech stick a paper clip in where the A/C relay is. They strated the car and turned on the AC to insure that the clutch engages, then you know it works. Mine got sucked dry of R12, pressure tested and charged with a 134a conversion kit with Oil. It works now. Funny how in the US you have to have a licensed A/C tech evacuate it and pressure test it for a cost of $45.00 each. I can go down to the auto parts store and do the recharge for about $40.00 with oil as long as you have your A/C system already on 134a. So if it's you first time have them do everything. It's only $5.00 difference.

Back