Blower snout cause boost leak???

So I did some investigating over at ZZPerformance

They sell NEW rotor packs with the Gen 5 coating for $450.00

They'll also move the dowel pin for $10.00

Total = $460.00

I've been in touch with their customer support today and they've confirmed all my questions.

It's a no brainer, ZZPerformance sells NEW and Magnum Powers clearly indicates theirs are rebuilt. Not to mention, a saving's of close to $200.00. Oh and ZZ doesn't require a core.

Now, don't get me wrong, I would rather support an SC specific vendor any day of the week but...

That is a decent deal.

I think one thing overlooked is that the MP rotor packs are designed to be easily rebuilt. I am not sure of the exact specs for the bearings and seals, but I am sure MP picked something a little easier to get than the stuff that Eaton chose. (Eaton has a lot of manufacturing clout and sometimes gets parts made specifically for them, which means nobody else stocks them or even wants to.)

Edit for further thoughts:
I know that the rebuildability may or may not matter, based on how many miles you expect to put on the rotors, and how much boost you run.

Also, I think the MP rotors look like a much better deal as part of the MPX package he has promoted recently. The MPX case and plenum and rotor pack for $1395 sounds pretty good.

Last edited:
Pressure relief port?

Also another thing to mention is Charles at Magnum powers built custom bearing plates that have a pressure release port built into them that helps keep the intake charge temps down. Just info for thought.

case pressure relief

Back in the 80's I had a bb chev with a 671 BDS unit on it. The BDS unit uses 90/w gear oil when most setups ran off the engine oil. they designed it to run with a little positive pressure in the case like our sc's but they had a little relief valve on the front of the nose case when you shut it down it was recommended to release the pressure by pressing the valve. It was a slick setup only problem was you didn't want to stand in front of that valve or you would get sprayed with a little hot gear oil. It would not be hard to install this sort of valve on our units drill & tap a hole at the front above the oil level.

So I did some investigating over at ZZPerformance

They sell NEW rotor packs with the Gen 5 coating for $450.00

They'll also move the dowel pin for $10.00

Total = $460.00

I've been in touch with their customer support today and they've confirmed all my questions.

It's a no brainer, ZZPerformance sells NEW and Magnum Powers clearly indicates theirs are rebuilt. Not to mention, a saving's of close to $200.00. Oh and ZZ doesn't require a core.

Now, don't get me wrong, I would rather support an SC specific vendor any day of the week but...

If they are new rotor packs with the gen 5 coating they are genv rotor packs that have a different bearing plate for the gen v m90 and the rotor shafts are a different size on the back of the rotor pack. The will not fit the gen3 m90 case unles you have the rotor pack rebuilt with a gen 3 bearing plate and retimed. If they are telling you they have a gen 3 rotor pack from eaton that is coated with the abradive coating that is not true, eaton never prodused the early model rotor pack with the abradive coating only the genv for the grand prix and the tvs. To my knowledge mp is the only one who has this item available and not to mention ZZPs customer service is great when they are selling you something but waite till you have a problem, good luck getting them to stand behind anything. They have already lied to you and told you they have new genv coated gen 3 rotor packs for 450 bucks sooooo. I dont care for zzp I have owned a grand prix GTX and an sc i would burn my money before i spent a dime of it with them!

Last edited:
Yea, they coat the new gen 3 rotor packs themselves, he did mention that.

However that raises a really good point. In order to paint them, wouldn't they need to take them apart? hmmm...

If they are new rotor packs with the gen 5 coating they are genv rotor packs that have a different bearing plate for the gen v m90 and the rotor shafts are a different size on the back of the rotor pack. The will not fit the gen3 m90 case unles you have the rotor pack rebuilt with a gen 3 bearing plate and retimed. If they are telling you they have a gen 3 rotor pack from eaton that is coated with the abradive coating that is not true, eaton never prodused the early model rotor pack with the abradive coating only the genv for the grand prix and the tvs. To my knowledge mp is the only one who has this item available

Last edited:
Yea, they coat the new gen 3 rotor packs themselves, he did mention that.

So they arnt new they are rebuilt and its not eatons coating, no one can get any information from eaton much less the product they use to coat the rotors. The only reason I know all this useless info is I have called eaton to try to source all of this stuff. I had a gen 5 m90 rotor pack re machined and put on a gen 3 ported bearing plate w 90 psi ptfe seals put in it.

They have used and new is how he put it. I'm sure what he means to say is that they have used and rebuilt.

Not surprised they would be so loose with the term 'New'

I'll need to have him clarify for me. :D

So they arnt new they are rebuilt and its not eatons coating, no one can get any information from eaton much less the product they use to coat the rotors. The only reason I know all this useless info is I have called eaton to try to source all of this stuff. I had a gen 5 m90 rotor pack re machined and put on a gen 3 ported bearing plate w 90 psi ptfe seals put in it.

They have used and new is how he put it. I'm sure what he means to say is that they have used and rebuilt.

Not surprised they would be so loose with the term 'New'

I'll need to have him clarify for me. :D
I will also clarify that the sc bearing plate and the grand prix bearing plate may look the same but they are not. The alignment holes really need to be machined to accept a gm style rotor pack. It isn't just as simple as moving the alignment pin to the other hole lol. The mpx case however has the ability to run either rotor pack. The tolerance on my mpx case is .004on both sides if you bolt up a gm rotor pack without having the hole machined to accept the pin the tolerances can be too close and you can score the supercharger case and screw the rotors up, ask me how I know
:D

Yea I've only my gtp rotors in my mpx, no idea how it would be in the oem style

I will also clarify that the sc bearing plate and the grand prix bearing plate may look the same but they are not. The alignment holes really need to be machined to accept a gm style rotor pack. It isn't just as simple as moving the alignment pin to the other hole lol. The mpx case however has the ability to run either rotor pack. The tolerance on my mpx case is .004on both sides if you bolt up a gm rotor pack without having the hole machined to accept the pin the tolerances can be too close and you can score the supercharger case and screw the rotors up, ask me how I know
:D

ok the mpx has the ability to use both you dont even have to worry about the alignment pins the mpx is machined for them. If it was me I would call Charles at mp and let him know your situation but the products arnt apples for apples as they seem as I stated before me and several of my close friends that own Grand Prix's have had nothing but trouble getting ahold of ZZP or getting them to work with you at all after the sale and they seem to be really wishy washy on things. I quite buying from them and went to John at intense racing for all of my GP stuff.

Back