Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many of you guys pay so close attention...

It's not just bean counters. Some people wouldn't like to find out to simply rotate their tires they need to dismount and remount the tires on the wheels to keep them facing the right way.

I thought with radials you need to keep the direction of rotation the same, so you would only move front to back and rim direction is not a problem.

Aaron

There are several different types of tire rotations. With directional wheels/tires, you simply rotate from front to rear. With non-directional wheels/tires you rotate front to opp rear and rear to same side front. Then there's the spare rotation if it is full size.

Even though these wheels are not "directional" they are what I would consider "directional." I consider non-directional wheels to "appear" to rotate the same. Meaning, no matter what side of the car they are on, they rotate the same way. Directional wheels will not rotate the same way, but "appear" to rotate in the same manner. As an example, the wheels off of a '93 SC will not "appear" (when related to it's previous position) to rotate the same way if they are put on the wrong side of the car. But on the correct side, they will. What Ford did was to make 'directional' wheels for the '89-92 SC, but somewhere along the line decided to only make 1 wheel cast instead of 2. They call them "non-directional" wheels and in a sense, they are. But only because Ford did not make wheels for the passenger side of the car. On the '93 and up SC's, Ford got smart. Of course, you can still put the wheels on in the wrong spot on the '93 and up SC's, they just rotate in the wrong direction. On the '89-92's, well, Ford put the wrong wheels on the pass side of ALL of the SC that were built!

My understanding was that steel belted radials take a "set" and you should not change their rotation. I have never had this confirmed by anyone who has reliable knowledge (engineer) but it is what I have been told many times by tire guys.

Aaron

When radials 1st came out in the mid-60s the #1 radial tires were the Michelin and Sears Radial(basically the same tire). They didn't tend to seat good on the rim immediately and the belts did indeed eventually 'set' in one direction and could separate if reversed. But, tire technology has come a long way since then. Modern radial tires can switch direction of rotation with no problem with belt separation. The reason some modern radials are directional is because of the tread pattern and how it grips the road and especially how it channels water off of and away from the tire. Reversing the tire could cause water buildup and hydroplaning in heavy rain. Some performance tires also have an inside and outside where the pattern is different on one side than the other.
    90 5spd, best ever E.T. 12.250
    best ever 1/4mi speed 112.89 mph
    Current dyno tune 383.54 rwhp 418.88 rwt

HMMM?

Funny my '90SC has LH and RH on the rims

If you put them on the wrong side they do face the wrong way