TCCOA TV Cable Adjustment

duanemyhre

WARNING!!! The proceedure for adjusting the TV cable on the TCCOA site does not usually work…if ever!? If you use this procedure, you stand a good chance of burning up your tranny. To accurately adjust the cable, you need to measure the pressure from the TV port on the side of the tranny.

Attachments

• zz2.jpg
    zz2.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 5,004
OK i'll bite.
What should the pressure be?
Measured at idle,or what?
How did you come by your information?
Why don't you list the way to do it.

The only way you will burn your transmission up from adjusting the TV cable is by adjusting the cable too loose or so tight that it breaks off the throttle linkage.

I spoke to Lentech about the TV cable adjustment last year, and they advised that tighter is better and I could tighten it as much as I wanted (results in higher line pressure) so long as it didn't restrict the throttle linkage from opening all the way.

Ford now sells a brass bushing and steel retaining clip to keep the TV cable from coming loose from the throttle linkage. If the cable falls off, there won't be enough pressure on the clutch packs and they will slip too much and burn up within a day or two.

David Neibert

Attachments

• IM004205.JPG
    IM004205.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 1,778
Last edited:
If you read the AOD service manual, you will find that many problems with the AOD are attributed to the miss adjustment of the TV cable. It is the biggest problem people have with the AOD. One notch of the cable changed the pressure 5-10 psi for me, but the book says 2 psi per notch. I don’t think too much pressure is a good idea at all when you read what the acceptable pressure range is.

I don’t think of my-self as any kind of an expert on these transmissions and I don’t mean to cut anyone down, but it seems like there are many people out there giving erroneous advice about how to service and care for these transmissions.

Don’t take my word for it, just find an appropriate service manual and check for yourself! Many of us on the board have these books and can give you what info you need.

AND… I personally wouldn’t trust most tranny shops. They seem to be much worse than most back yard mechanics when it comes to these trannys. I have been forced to fix the severe screw ups a tranny shop was kind enough to do for me! And… got to pay $1200 for the lesson.

I will post the information on adjusting the TV cable from the book soon.

Good luck

Last edited:
The only reason to adjust the tension on the TV cable by hand.Is so
you can drive it some where to put a guage on it. If you don't have
a guage.

RANDY

Linkage Adjustment Using Throttle Valve TV Control Pressure

Linkage Adjustment Using Throttle Valve TV Control Pressure

NOTE:
This procedure requires the use of TV Pressure Gauge Set (0-60 psi) T86L-70002-A or equivalent. The results of the adjustment procedure depends on the accuracy of the pressure gauge.

A pressure gauge should be checked periodically (approximately every six months) or when the following occurs:

1. The needle will not return to 0 kPa (0 psi) under no pressure.

2. The needle goes past 0 kPa (0 psi) (negative side) under no pressure.

3. Bumping or dropping a pressure gauge.

Adjustment and/or Check

1. Attach TV Pressure Gauge Set (0-60 psi) T86L-70002-A or equivalent, to the TV port on the transmission.

NOTE:
If service tool is not available, in order to avoid the exhaust system, obtain the following material and assemble as shown:

l One 1/8-inch NPT female Hansen fitting

l One 1/8-inch NPT male Hansen fitting

l One 1/4-inch NPT 90 degree elbow connector

l One high-pressure hose fitting

The pressure gauge should have 2.4m (8 feet) of flexible hose to make the gauge accessible while operating the engine.

2. Remove the air cleaner cover and inlet tube from the throttle body inlet for easier access to throttle lever.

3. Insert tapered end of the tool between the crimped slug on the end of cable and plastic notched rod, also on end of cable assembly. Push in Cable TV Control Pressure Gauge T86L-70332-A, or equivalent forcing the crimped slug away from the plastic rod. Ensure gauge block is pushed in as far as it will go.

4. Operate engine until normal operating temperature is reached. The transmission fluid temperature should be approximately 38-72°C (100- 150°F). Do not make pressure check if transmission fluid is cold or too hot to touch.

5. Set parking brake and place shift selector in NEUTRAL. With gauge tool in place and engine idling in NEUTRAL, the TV pressure should be between 207 and 276 kPa (30 and 40 psi).

NOTE:
Do not check or set TV pressure in PARK.

6. If TV pressure meets specification in Step 5, remove gauge tool allowing cable to return to its normal idle position. With engine still idling in NEUTRAL, TV pressure must be at or near zero (less than 34 kPa (5 psi)).

7. If TV pressure does not meet specification in either or both Steps 5 and 6, remove gauge tool. Check for and replace damaged components. Adjust cable as outlined under TV Cable Adjustment-Self-Locking System.

8. Check TV pressure again. Refer to Steps 3 through 6.

9. If TV pressure still does not meet specification, it will be necessary to modify adjustment as follows.

10. Remove gauge tool and pry grooved pin out of grommet on throttle lever.

11. Mark or measure location of plastic block on notched rod.

12. Push out locking tab.

13. Using mark or measurement on plastic block as a reference, move plastic block toward throttle body mounting bracket to raise TV pressure, or move it away from bracket to lower TV pressure. Push in white locking tab to lock block in position.
1mm movement equals 17 kPa (2.5 psi).

1 notch movement equals 14 kPa (2 psi).

14. Insert grooved pin into grommet.

15. Check TV pressure. Refer to Steps 3 through 6.

16. Repeat Steps 10 through 14, if necessary.

NOTE:
For best transmission function, the TV pressure should be set as close as possible to 227 kPa (33 psi) in NEUTRAL with gauge tool installed. Since the TV pressure goes up approximately 14 kPa (2 psi) when the shift lever is moved from NEUTRAL to a forward gear ((D) or D), this will result in a TV pressure setting near the desirable 241 kPa (35 psi) in forward gear. Do not attempt to check TV pressure with the transmission in gear. When the gauge tool is removed, the TV pressure should drop to less than 34 kPa (5 psi). If the TV pressure does not drop to less than 34 kPa (5 psi), reset the TV pressure to a value less than 227 kPa (33 psi) with gauge tool installed but no less than 207 kPa (30 psi). Verify that the TV pressure is less than 34 kPa (5 psi) with gauge tool removed.

Attachments

• tv.jpg
    tv.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 3,199
so ok... can the TV cable thingy help me with my AOD tranny shifting out of 2nd too early??? Thanx. let me know people

Shift Trouble Diagnosis from the book

I found two possibilities in the book.

Shift Trouble Diagnosis

TV Control Cable System

A. Symptoms: Excessively early and/or soft upshifts with or without slip-bump feel. Slip-bump feel on light throttle shift into and out of fourth gear (3-4 and/or 4-3 shifts). No forced downshift (kickdown) function at appropriate speeds.

Cause: TV control cable set too long.

Remedy: Reset cable per procedure for the TV control cable system.

CAUTION:
Do not drive vehicle if cable is broken or disconnected at throttle body lever.

Damage to friction elements in transmission may result due to excessive slipping since TV pressure will remain near zero. If it is necessary to drive vehicle before servicing or resetting cable, disconnect cable at the transmission lever. TV pressure will not be near maximum, allowing light throttle operation. However, shift will be delayed and harsh.

Remedy: Replace/reconnect cable and reset per procedure for the TV control cable system.

A. Symptoms: Shift clunk when throttle is backed off after full or heavy throttle acceleration. Harsh coasting downshifts out of fourth gear (automatic 4-3 shifts in D range).

Cause: TV control cable is set too short.

Remedy: Reset cable per procedure for the TV control cable system.

Cause: Transmission lever does not return to idle (lever to rear as far as possible) although cable is correctly set.

Remedy: Check for binding due to misaligned or damaged cable brackets or damaged cable or return spring (in rubber boot). Check for binding at cable connections at throttle body or transmission. Pry off cable from the TV lever ball stud and check for free movement of the cable. Lubricate the ball stud with a small amount of Premium Long Life Grease C1AZ-19590-E (ESA-M1C75-B) or equivalent and reattach the cable. Check for frozen moisture in cable due to damaged boot. Service or replace as necessary. Set cable per procedure for the TV control cable system.

Cause: Cable assembly not correctly attached to bracket at either throttle body or transmission.

Remedy: Determine reason for cable becoming detached. Replace if necessary. Set cable per procedure for the TV control cable system.

A. Symptoms: Extremely delayed and harsh upshift, especially at light to moderate acceleration and harsh idle engagement.

Cause: Cable disconnect at transmission (transmission TV pressure is at maximum).

Remedy: Determine cause for cable becoming disconnected. Service or replace as necessary. Set cable per procedure for the TV control cable system.

Cause: Transmission lever stays at wide-open throttle (WOT) or part throttle although cable is correctly set.

Remedy: Check for binding conditions as detailed in Step B. Service or replace as necessary. Set cable per procedure for the TV control cable system.

o Soft/Early/Mushy 2-3 Upshift

Possible Source(s):
§ Improper fluid level.

Action(s) to Take:
§ Perform «fluid level check» .

Possible Source(s):
§ TV throttle linkage misadjusted (low TV) sticking/damaged.

Action(s) to Take:
§ Adjust throttle linkage. Service as required.

Possible Source(s):
§ Low main control pressure.

Action(s) to Take:
§ «Control pressure test» . Note results.

Possible Source(s):
§ Valve body bolts loose/too tight.

Action(s) to Take:
§ Tighten to 9-11 N-m (80-97 lb-in).

Possible Source(s):
§ Valve body valve or throttle control valve sticking.

Action(s) to Take:
§ Determine source of contamination. Service as required.

Possible Source(s):
§ Governor valve sticking.

Action(s) to Take:
§ Perform «governor test» . Service as required.

If you are having any problems, it might be prudent to check the TV pressure anyway.

this

freaking thing .....what is it suspose to shift out of first @ with foot to floor in drive...old tranny was about 4,500 rpm ...new tranny is @ 5000 grand now ...shifts normal ... if driving normal ...it just frys the tires into second when it shifts @ 5000 rpm ..neat seeing rubber behind ... but scary at times....dave

duanemyhre:

Thanks for going through the trouble to post that!

Where can one get a TV Pressure Gauge Set? Dealer only?

MercsSC

I would first check the TV pressure. I had a similar problem caused by an improperly torqued valve body.

o All Upshifts Harsh or Delayed or No Upshifts

Possible Source(s):
§ Improper fluid level.

Action(s) to Take:

Possible Source(s):
§ Throttle linkage--misadjusted (high TV)/ disconnected/sticking/damaged/ return spring disconnected.

Action(s) to Take:
§ Adjust throttle linkage. Service as required,

Possible Source(s):
§ Manual linkage--misadjusted damaged.

Action(s) to Take:
§ Check and adjust or service as required.

Possible Source(s):
§ Governor sticking.

Action(s) to Take:

Possible Source(s):
§ Main control pressure too high.

Action(s) to Take:
§ «Control pressure test» . Service as required.

Possible Source(s):
§ Valve body bolts--loose/too tight.

Action(s) to Take:

Possible Source(s):
§ Valve body dirty/sticking valves.

Action(s) to Take:

o Rough/Harsh/Delayed 1-2 Upshift

Possible Source(s):
§ Improper fluid level.

Action(s) to Take:

Possible Source(s):
§ Poor engine performance.

Action(s) to Take:
§ Tune engine.

Possible Source(s):
§ TV linkage--misadjusted (high TV)/damaged. All shifts will be harsh/delayed.

Action(s) to Take:
§ Adjust linkage. Service as required.

Possible Source(s):
§ Main control pressure too high.

Action(s) to Take:
§ «Control pressure test» . Note results.

Possible Source(s):
§ Governor valve sticking.

Action(s) to Take:

Possible Source(s):

Action(s) to Take:
§ Tighten to 9-11 N-m (80-97 lb-in)

Possible Source(s):
§ Valve body dirty/sticking valves.

Action(s) to Take:

o Harsh/Delayed 2-3 Upshift

Possible Source(s):
§ Incorrect engine performance.

Action(s) to Take:
§ Check engine tune-up.

Possible Source(s):
§ Throttle linkage misadjusted (high TV)/sticking/damaged. All shifts will be harsh/delayed.

Action(s) to Take:
§ Adjust linkage. Service as required.

Possible Source(s):
§ 2-3 accumulator piston--apply passage plugged/omitted.

Action(s) to Take:
§ Remove 2-3 accumulator piston and visually inspect or air test for plugging condition or omission.

Possible Source(s):
§ 2-3 accumulator piston seals cut/worn.

Action(s) to Take:
§ Replace seals, determine cause of condition. Service as required.

Possible Source(s):
§ Damaged 2-3 accumulator.

Action(s) to Take:
§ Service as required.

Possible Source(s):

Action(s) to Take:

Possible Source(s):
§ Valve body dirty/sticking valves. 2-3 capacity modulator valve.

Action(s) to Take:
§ Determine source of condition. Service as required.

Possible Source(s):
§ TV control cable bent, sticking.

Action(s) to Take:
§ Check cable. Replace as necessary.

joenintiesc

I got my gauges from a local supplier that sells hydraulic and pressure lines and connectors called Fluid Connectors. They also have them at a tool specialty shop. You just need a general (good quality) fluid pressure gauge. I bought a 0-60 and a 0-300 for about $30 each.

gauge tool?

I am confused about the guage tool that you mention in this article. Not the pressure guage but a guage at the throttle linkage unless I am reading this incorrectly. where do you get this tool? thank you

Sorry to resurrect an ancient thread, but this thread is what I was looking for...mostly.

Is there a specific tip for the gauge that I need to put in the tranny? What's it called? Where do I get it? What's it looking like? etc, etc....

My tranny is slipping between 3-4 after I just install a Street/strip valve body. I hope this is my problem and not screwed up bands :(

Thanks,
Metalman

just take the plug, that you have to take out, of the tranny with you to a store that has fluid connectors and make somthing to match up. Thats what I did and it was easy. :) The plug for the test hole is your key!

I've adjusted these things a million times and how that says to do it is not how I do it. You need a pressure gauge and a proper gauge block to hold the cable out the required amount. Then adjust the pressure to 33-35lbs idling (idle must be correct) warm in neutral.
Thats the way every transmission shop i have ever worked in did it and thats how I do it.
Alan

tranny

I just got a 92 xr7 the tranny shifted early from 2and to third to fast cable adjust made it better it shifts better now from 4th to third shifts to fast more adjustment should fix its got a leak above the shift linkage maby speedo got any ideas

tranny

ill try that cars worth restoreing one thing at a time got a lot of time just not talent cars got 116000 miles having troble geting some parts

ill try that cars worth restoreing one thing at a time got a lot of time just not talent cars got 116000 miles having troble geting some parts

Try what ?

Right or wrong, my TV cable is still adjusted the same way it was when I posted on the first page of this thread back in 2003.

David

my car used to free wheel when downshifting from 3rd to second going uphill untill i took some play out of the shift down cable to kick in sooner

ralph

Back