car has been sitting-starter wont turn over

marrart

the car has been sitting for 2 years now and the starter wont engage. new battery. when i turn the key, it just clicks. i put the car in neutral, its a 5-speed, and put a screwdriver to the solenoid on the fender well, the starter just clicks. belts look like they want to turn but it wont. by jumpering the solenoid, does the clutch switch come in to play? do i need someone inside the car? hopefully the engine is not seized up.

The Cougar I just bought did the same thing. Ended up being corrosion on the battery and starter terminals. Make sure the battery clamps are clean and TIGHT. Even after cleaning mine it still wouldn't turn over until I tightened them down.

starter

thanks, the terminal connections are ok. ill check the starter connection tommorow when i frig with it some more. hate to start replacing things by guessing.

Any possibility of getting it rolling, and popping the clutch.
When my starter was going I would park the car on a slight hill so that I could get it rolling and pop the clutch to start it. It really doesn't have to be moving very fast to do this. (I did this for over a week before I put in my new starter. The street in front of my house goes downhill, and the driveway where I work went downhill.)

starter

not possible to push it. its on my back lawn.maybe tommorow ill take a hammer to the starter with someone in the car.

wont start nothing happens no click or anything

i just got another sc and i put a new fuel pump in it and i go to start it asnd nothing no click no turn no nothing i checked the power to the starter with a test light and it lit up and then i put it to the thin connector and nothing lit not even when i turned the keyy can anyone help me?

i just got another sc and i put a new fuel pump in it and i go to start it asnd nothing no click no turn no nothing i checked the power to the starter with a test light and it lit up and then i put it to the thin connector and nothing lit not even when i turned the keyy can anyone help me?

Welcome to the forum. I hope you find some help here.

You probably should have started a new thread instead of bumping this 8-year-old thread.

Anyway,

Which thin connector are you talking about?

And is this a 1990 SC? That model year has a starter interlock built into the brake light circuit. So you need to be stepping on the pedal and activating the brake light switch or the car won't crank.

What year is your sc because it does make a difference, and is it a 5-speed or auto? The old ones have a seperate starter solenoid, the newer sc's, the solenoid is part of the starter assembly. If the little wire is the power source that completes the circuit on the solenoid, it should only have power when the key is turned to the start position. So it takes 2 people to check it. I call that the exciter wire, it comes from the ignition switch, so if you have no power I would check for power output from the ignition switch at that wire when in th start position. If you still don't have power, an ignition switch is about $15-20.

chris

Last edited:
A few things

THE CHASSIS GROUND IS BAD, THE BRAKE PEDAL SWITCH IS BAD THE STARTER SOLEINOD IS BAD A EASY CHECK IS TO JUMP THE 2 POLES ON THE SOLEINOD ON THE DRIVERS SIDE FENDER NEXT TO THE BATTERAY WITH PILERS ....I ALSO RUN A NEW GROUND TO THE ENGINE AS WELL :eek:

Clean the spade tab and connector off at the starter. Tighten the connector slightly with a pair of pliers and see if it helps.

Oh.. maybe not. Yeah. be sure to push the brake pedal down.. if your brake lights don't work... it won't start either because that is part of the starter interlock.

I am glad I found this thread as I am having some of the same problems here, I have an 89 SC and was driving it the other day and got back in to leave where I was and the starter wouldn't engage. I got it home and thought it was the starter, had the starter and the battery tested and the battery was bad so I replaced it re-installed the starter.

Got in the car put the key in the ignition and cracked it like 4 to 5 times, then on the 6th try nothing happen and it went back to how it was everything getting power but the starter not engaging.

Anyone have any advise or suggestions? I am getting driven up the wall trying to figure this out

good chance its the ign sw you would be better to open this in a new thread just ask your ? and give as much info as poss and you will get lots of help. very good site!! lots of helpful people. just dont jump a thread w/? and never tell anybody what you find (kinda the whole point) thanks, brian

good chance its the ign sw you would be better to open this in a new thread just ask your ? and give as much info as poss and you will get lots of help. very good site!! lots of helpful people. just dont jump a thread w/? and never tell anybody what you find (kinda the whole point) thanks, brian

Alright cool thanks for the replies, I will have a look at the ignition switch and see what I find

Back