Anyone get a code 49 (default spark error)???

biffteed

I guess nobody else got code 49 in their cars because nobody seems to have any input on what it is and how to fix it in the technical forum.

In the Hayes book of repair it describes it as "default spark error". Maybe it means I should change spark plugs and wires?

I hope this error goes away once I install new oxygen sensors!!

Last edited:
dis

49= spout signal defaulted to 10 degrees btdc...... beg borrow don't steal a DIS off of somebody ...and swap it ..try it ...have to go to work now ...I'll give it more thought ...might be cam sensor ..
....dave

spout

or spark out ......your DIS module ..is in saftey mode ... for short and is running off the crank sensor..or as it is refered to PIP signal @ a fixed timing of 10*BTDC ...my best guess would be Cam sensor ....not sending the signal to the EEC module....though the CID side .. to the DIS ...seems to be working.. if that was the only code you pulled ....if not the cam sensor ...then the DIS .....but I really think it's the Cam sensor ...dave

I got a code 14 "spout signal circuit problem" and replaced the cam sensor on my 1990 but still no spark.
Maybe its the crank sensor :D

Last edited:
no spark?

Well I found my problem with the diagnostics code 14
It led me to the crank sensor and yep the bolt in the crank is broken.
Is this common with the 3.8 v6?
I managed to get the old bolt out and found the balancer is broken also.
Look at the cover ... its been wearing on the balancer

Attachments

• 503.jpg
    503.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 65
  • cvr.jpg
    cvr.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Yes,very common....balancer separates,crank bolt breaks and takes the crank sensor out with it.......lots of threads on here about it
z

Back