Custom Top...Finally got it!

89SCK@t

Update!! Custom Top...Finally got it!

Okay, I know its been a while, but I finally got it, the guy did a pretty good job, but I still need to get it milled and sand blasted, so please bare with me.

The Throat. Notice how big the throat is...
Throat.JPG

Here is a closeup of the side of the throat, as you can see, it was cut and bent down. His idea so itll clear a stock hood.
closeupthroat.JPG

Heres a side view of the top, can you see the extra supercharger??
sideview.JPG

I just thought I'd throw this in here, just an underneath shot of the top...
underneath.JPG

Like I said, I still need to get some more work done on the top, but its almost done. The guy says there is a machine shop that can do the milling and and sandblasting for me for about 60 bucks. Depending on how everything turns out, I want to set up a group buy with both the welding shop and machine shop...would anyone be interested? Give me a little time and Ill try to have some more pics...

stephen

Last edited:
WTF happened to your top? How much do you have invested with it already? I would like to see finished product of that. I m sure mine looked like that at one time.

Invested

Well, not much...I paid 50 bucks for the supercharger at a local junkyard and took the top with it. No i didnt steal it, it was still connected...

He told me 140 when he called me up, but only charged me 120...he said he had about 200 worth of aluminum and labor...so i made out. probably be putting another 60-80 into getting the thing cleaned, holes redrilled, and leveled. I will definately be spending more on it, than you guys will, IF, there is an interest in this...

oh yeah, and i do need new studs, lock washers, and nuts...but hey that comes with different stuff...

stephen

fastsc92 - it gives that more....custom look:D itll look a hell of a lot better when i get done with it...

ThunderRoad - DUDE!! im just trying to get more avenues open for people...trying to expand!:p

DamonSlowpokeBaumann - thanks, like i said, it wasnt my idea to have it angled like that, it was the guy that owns the shop, he said he likes trying to make things better...I think he did a good job at it.

To all that look at this thread, or already have, depending on how much i spend this week for the date i have with the 34 yr old (yes, im still trying for it....), it should be done next week...or on the 1st of oct. on top of me getting my new (well, 89) tbird sc...

stephen

WHAT TO USE

no problem.....................glad to see others who open the door for budget racers, show us the finished product....FAST FREDDIE
s:rolleyes: :cool: :D

Id rather support backyard racers/tuners and local shops than big companies that dont know how to appreciate a customer. Plus its cool to work hand in hand with a custom fabricator. Great job man, cant wait to see it smoothed out and coated. Are you going stock grey, another color, or chromin' it?

Ok, its been awhile...

With the my cat having to be put down, and the bird annoying the hell outta me...I was able to get a chance to try to get this damn thing finished..sorry about the darkness of the pics...

just a standard shot
MVC-001X.JPG

another standard shot
MVC-002X.JPG

If you can see it, there is that lip, it goes right to the neck. I dont like that...I wish I couldve told the guy to move the neck up about 1/4 - 3/8 of an inch up...oh well, thats why this is the prototype.
MVC-003X.JPG

It has taken awhile and I'm sorry for that, I should have this on the bird in about a month(i think i blew the clutch apart), and Im taking 2 more to another shop for them to do. Still trying to work some deals. Well, just wanted to let you guys, and girls, know how SLOW its progressing, but when you make around 550 - 600 every 2 weeks, its a little hard to have projects...*sigh*
Im going to the machine shop to maybe see if he can counter bore the holes, on the collar nut side, so that i can use the original bolts, but who knows...all in all, should be done tomorrow.

1QuikV6 -- Probably going to get it near the same color as stock. but im sure i could get one chromed and the other polished and anodized...probably be a little more, im just going burnt powdercoat style!! :D well....for now.

stephen

Hmmmmm

Are you in the Military???

I could not help noticing the High Quality Furniture "Wall Locker" in the background...:D

Oh, BTW...I hope you get the piece all sorted out...

Cheers

Brad

cudaz101 -- i am in the military, and im not supposed to have car parts in my room...shhhhhhh! dont tell anyone.
Yeah, that "high quality" wall locker, best fiberboard money can buy. and the other furniture is the best pine i have ever had...:rolleyes: and the mattress and box spring, ive slept on more comfortable bathroom floor when i was drunk...:p at least i get a halfway decent full-size fridge...

Thats why its a "prototype";) so if things dont work, I can improve...Im already in the process of making another top, crafted a little different...should have pics of it in january.

[/end]
stephen

I could always cut the neck a little more and have it angled down. but ill find out later if i need to do that.

[/end]
Stephen

Just wanted to let you girls and guys know...its progressing SLOWER now, than when the parts were out of the shop. I will be picking the tops, yes tops, up monday. Depending how each one works and looks, I will be selling one of them...probably the better looking one. I will talk to the guy that owns the shop to see if I can get any kinda idea on how much it would cost for more tops to get done. Then I gotta go down to the powder coat shop to see how much the powdercoat and whatnot will cost....

Ill post pics on monday when i get back from the shop.

Stephen

Back