New XR7/SC owner

90CougXR7

Howdy,
I just purchased my first supercharged car- a 1990 Mercury Cougar XR7. It's bright red with black velour/cloth interior. Fully loaded with the auto/sunroof/amp/subwoofer everything. I picked it off a used car lot for 4500 and the car only has 54K miles on it. Just needs some little TLC. One of the headlights is yellowed but the body is straight with no rust. I figure to make some minor upgrades to the sound system and drop in a K&N filter to wake the engine up a little bit. Going to take her drag racing and see what kind of numbers I can run! I'm out here in Hawaii and was suprised to see one of these rare cars out here. Anyways, glad to have joined and look forward to chatting with everyone!

word of advice

Before running down the track....
Remove or replace the resonator. Big clog in the exhaust system and it would help you stay a little farther away from the head gasket problem.

when you drop in the k&n, take out the air silencer under the airbox behind the fender. that will free up a little air and make it sound sweeter. that one's free. i used to be in the air force. i never got lucky enough to go to hawaii though.

Thanks for the heads-up. Once I get the leaky valve cover fixed then I will be procedding on my wish list. Firstly, I will remove the air silencer and then put on a Flowmaster exhaust system. I'm still debating on whether to replace the entire system or just put on a cat-back system. I like the way the car sounds right now, but feel a more powerful growl like my dad's Dart GTS is defenitly in order. I want to shake windows when I start her up in the morning. :D Once that is done I'll be putting on the VR CAI and leave it at that. I don't want the pulley or anything like that.... Also need to buy some slicks as well....

Back