Rock hard brake pedle

Jason Wild

I have a rock hard brake pedle on start up today the car as hast for about 5 days and it was as hard as a rock till I wated about 3 min and then it was back to normal.

Well thats unfortunate Jason, but instead of stating strange and unusual facts about our cars, we generally include questions in threads we post around here. Also, rephrasing your statement so that it makes a little bit more sense might help you to get some input.

Did ya hear the pump motor running there Jason?? 3 minutes and it was OK?? Did the pump run for 3 minutes, if so I'd say accumulator like Ed said, but has it done it again since then..

Yeah Jason, if you can't form a simple question then how the hell are we supposed to form a simple answer. How do you ever plan to get ahead in life. Can't you see what you are doing to the other members here? PLEASE think about the community. You are breaking your Parents' hearts!

SAVE THE WHALES!

Micah

Sorry about the first post.
The pump was only running for it's normal 15-30 SEC then the ABS light and e-brake Light stayed on as well the Hard brake pedle for about 3 MIN. then It was back to normal.
I have no Idea why.
Has other people have this happen?

The brake pump relay on the firewall may be acting up. When it fails, you will have rock hard brakes until you get a new one.

However, you said the pump ran for 30 seconds, and then you had the hard brake peddle, and then 3 minutes later it was ok. Are you sure the pump didn't run for 3 minutes until it was back to normal? If it did, then more likely it is the accumulator.

Very simply...Start car, relay tells pump to run and fill accumulator up with brake fluid. Accumulator gets full (pressurized), and the pump shuts off. Now when you brake, the braking force comes from the energy stored in your brake accumulator, (the brake fluid under pressure). When the amount of energy stored in the accumulator drops to a certain point, the pressure switch on the pump sends a signal to the relay, and the relay kicks in again and tells the pump to pump more brake fluid into the accumulator to charge it back up.

Back