Installing rear end question

kenewagner

I will soon be swapping the rear end in my 93 SC automatic for one with 3.73 gears. Are there balancing problems that can occure when hooking up the drive shaft to the new rear end?

There are four bolts that hold the driveshaft to the rear end, so that part is pretty easy. No real way to go wrong there. Although you may want to mark the rear bracket mount on the cover to line up the back of the rear end to make sure that it's alined.

kenewagner said:
I will soon be swapping the rear end in my 93 SC automatic for one with 3.73 gears. Are there balancing problems that can occure when hooking up the drive shaft to the new rear end?
Just bolt it up the driveshaft. Take a test drive and see if you have any driveshaft vibrations. If you find that you do have a slight vibration, just simply rotate driveshaft a ¼ turn. Repeat as necessary to get it balance.

Calvin

Look for yellow paint dots on both the pinion and driveshaft flanges. If found, line them up when installing the driveshaft. If not, then you can either use a dial indicator to determine the runout on the pinion flange, or use the trial and error method.

Back