No volume from radio on cold mornings!!

canadabird

Hi again, Last week up here the morning temps were about 40deg and when I got in my car to go to work the radio turned on and the station was tuned on the display but nothing was coming from any of the speakers. Only a crakle once and a while when I hit a bump. But when I got in my car to go home the radio was fine no problems. Has anyone had this problem, any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Dan

Yeah, the radio in the wife's SC does the same thing. Last winter it would take fifteen minutes to warm up enough, this year, it's a half hour.

No fix other then replacing it.

The stock radios in the SC's don't last, i've replaced both of mine, and the speakers. It can be done easily and if your going to do it yourself use crutchfield.com as your source, they helped me with both my installs.

Good Luck
Mark

You have a cold (bad) solder joint in the radio. As things heat up it makes contact and the radio works. The only solution is to open it up and reflow every joint that looks less than perfect.

I suggest a new radio because the stock unit is not worth the effort.

Aaron

Thanks for the replys. I am pretty handy at stuff so I might decide to take it apart next weekend and check things out and see if I can save it for a little longer. Also is it possible to keep the stock CD player with an after market radio and have it work the same? Like when I put a CD in the radio kicks off and CD player runs.
Dan

I had the exact same problem in my car. On cold (for So Cal) mornings no radio. Let it sit in the sun and if worked fine. It turned out to be a bad power supply circuit in the factory CD player. The radio and CD player communicate to each other and if the CD player is not right, the radio will not play. If you have a factory CD player, check the display on the CD player when the radio does not work. If it is blank then the CD player may be too blame. I replaced the CD player, and have had no problems since.

Back