Oil Pressure and usage

IGot6UGot8

I just got my '95 2 weeks ago, and have put 3 qts of oil in it since. The car has 146K miles on it, and I drive it about 150 miles a day. Has anyone here had any luck using additives to cut down on oil blow by? I hate to rebuild the motor just after I got the car.

Thanks
Jake

There are things you can do to reduce oil usage.

What wieght oil do you use? & what condition is the PCV valve in?

Switching to a thicker oil can help reduce a little, & various "oil leak stop" products are sold which mention reducing consumption. If you are just trying to get by until rebuilding, you could also disconnect the supercharger to reduce it.

Biggest problem will probably be plugs fouling out. Buy the copper ones if they start to, because they won't go 50k anyway.

Lastly, that sounds like a lot of oil. Are you sure its all burning? Any of it? It could be leaking somewhere.

Thanks for the reply. I have yet to change the oil, but I have been adding mostly Valvoline 10w30 (or 40, it was in my garage, so I used it). I also have not checked the PCV Valve yet. I failed to mention in my previous post that the oil pressure gauge varies between the n and m. My other SC's have all stuck around the M most of the time. The car doesn't seem to be leaking any oil whatsoever, the entire underside is very clean. I do get a lot of smoke out the pipes at heavy throttle. What are the thoughts about using synthetic on a higher mileage car like this? I've heard yes and no.

Thanks
Jake

Back