Thread: Fel-pro valve cover gaskets

Fel-pro valve cover gaskets

Just received some new SC parts including Fel-Pro valve cover gaskets.. part # 94047.

On the package it states "Install molded silicone rubber gasket and/or end seals DRY WITHOUT CHEMICAL ADHESIVES".

This implies to me the use of sealants like permatex Copper RTV silicone should not be used.

What is the reason for this? A destructive reaction with the gasket material?

Thanks..

Don't know if there would be a bad reaction with the sealers or not.
    But when I installed mine about 1000 miles ago they work just fine so
    far dry.They have metal spacers or stops in the bolt holes .I just stuged mine
    down against the stops and they work just fine with no leaks.And stayed
    in place just fine on install with out any sealer.And they looked to be reusable.
    with out the sealer,& if you don't crush the metal inserts in the bolt holes of the
    gasket.

And they matched my Ford blue block paint job.

RANDY

Ok thats what I figured. They do look reusable too.

I did like the color

The molded rubber gaskets are made with much higher tech materials and processes than old paper or cork type gaskets. In the past, paper or cork gaskets needed a thin film of sealer to 1.) hold them in place during install and 2.) seal all the minor imperfections in the surfaces. Late model moulded rubber gaskets do not need this. Actually, if you use RTV type sealer on a moulded rubber gasket it may actually CAUSE it to leak. Depending on what type of RTV it is, the sealer could make the gasket slippery enough to slide off the valve cover or head. Then it'll leak like crazy.

I use Permatex "Blue" RTV on mine. A thin layer on the head will help hold the gasket in position while getting the cover on. I also put a thin layer on the rocker cover. I've had the rocker covers off at least a dozen times, and it only leaked the one time I didn't use the RTV.

The down side, is the gasket usually gets torn when removing the cover next time.

David
    1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
    2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat...............707HP/650TQ

My Garage

the felpro gasket seals very well. but on my son's car we have had the covers on and off enough that we finally tore them. i think a set of short studs are going on this time to hold the gaskets in place.

I find that if the covers are bent slightly especially at the bolt openings, leaks will occur for sure. I pulled mine last month and tossed them straight in the dumpster due to the warpage at the boltholes.
    A trip to the Pick a Part and back in business with a nifty used pair of perfectly flat-planed valve covers and no more leaks and reused the old gaskets with two of the metal inserts gone( from over tightening trying to stop the leakage). GL!