What else

MercXr7-5speed

SCCoA Member
Few weeks back I put a post about a crack in my oil pan. Fixed it temp with some cold weld and now the leak is back. The cause is the obvious crappy mounts. I put an order in for some solid ones from supercoupeperformance.com and have an oil pan on the way. Got a buddy with a shop to do the work for 150 bucks. Don't worry he knows what hes doing. He did the mounts in my 89 2 years back and I never had any problems. Since I am replacing the oil pan as well, is there anything else I should have replaced while he is under there? The car has 169k on it an really runs great. I just don't wanna have to tear this thing up again anytime soon if it can be avoided. Thanks in advance.

Also, does anyone have the stock height soilds from supercoupeperformace.com? How do you like them?

Joe

Are you dropping the subframe or pulling the engine?

Maybe you can change connecting rod bearings, while the oil pan is off. .

Do a compression check to see how your piston rings are.

At 169k, i'd start saving for a rebuild of the engine. My 89 engine lasted 180K.

You could change the rod bearings but you cant change the crank bearings without removing the crankshaft.
I'm with the other fella, its probably not gonna live a whole lot longer. Patch the pan and save up to rebuild the motor.:)

You could change the rod bearings but you cant change the crank bearings without removing the crankshaft.
Yes, you are correct. That is what I meant to say.

Thomas

Rebuild Huh? I read on here recently that the rebuild kit was around $600 bucks? What does this kit include? I am not experienced enough to attempt something like that myself. I have a extra motor still in a car. If I were to bring that motor to a shop with the rebuild kit, what am I looking at as far as cost for them to to it? Anyone know of any good sc mechanics in the philadelphia area. I would really hate to be without this car for an extended period of time. Maybe I should just build the other motor and get it ready for a transplant. Thanks in advance.

PS I would rather drive this thing with a 169k on it then my 99 grand am with only 44k on it.

Joe

Also, does anyone have the stock height soilds from supercoupeperformace.com? How do you like them?

I just put a set in two days ago. They were easy to install and fit fine but my engine still has the heads off so there wasn't much in the way. I was using stock gel filled mounts and a torque strap, but thought since the engine was already apart I might as well upgrade to solid mounts.

They were in fact the same height as the stock mounts, but expect your engine to sit an inch or so higher if your mounts are bad now.

David

Yeah, my mounts are toast. I can't wait to give it gas and not watch the shifter jump to the right. Thanks for you input.

Joe

Back