92 sc break problems in the car im buying

The Big D

This guy who lives across the street from my mom is selling his 92 tbird sc, and i really like how well of condition its in, thing is perrrfect, anyway he was asking for 2500 for it... then he came back to me and said the brake light went on, i had it checked out, and his mechanic said it was a brake motor or something like that. the guy said he wasnt going to fix it and that he would sell it for 1000 as is, i am really thinking about buying it, cause you think that this brake problem could really cost more then 1500?

im jsut curious what in the brake system could be that major to lower the cost that much,and would it be worth it to rip it out of my current 92 sc which is falling apart badly (but has good brakes)

Well, mechanics tend to just say forget it and just want to replace everything. He is probably saying the whole master cylinder, motor, accumulator need to be replaced. Normally this would cost about $2000 at Ford. You can buy the car and remove the unit and have it rebuilt for about $500 if I remember correctly at www.priorreman.com . Could be a cheap thing for you. Could also be cheaper and only need to have accumulator replaced but count on it needing the whole thing done and figure that in with cost. Duffy is the man to talk to about specifics with brakes though.

another reason why i love these forums, you guys are so helpful all in one response too...

im looking into this now, thanks vm aaron

Could also be a relay

Well, this is long shot but. I could also be a bad relay. Located on the pass. side against the fire wall (under the hood). Can't remember which one, it's either the grey or brown one (one is for the Anti-lock, the other is for the power brake assist). Mine, and a few others I know of had this same problem.

Rino

Back