HELP 94 sc, about to set it on fire....

wickedwindsor86

I have a 94 sc auto, problem is it runs very poor. It has no power at all. I have ran codes and nothing comes up. Car has good fuel pressure, pulls good vaccum, and shows boost. I put a fresh set of plugs in it, old plugs looked ok, a little on the rich side. blows no smoke and idles fairly well. Coolant is clean, oil not contaminated. also has new wires and fuel filter. fireing order is correct. Do the 94-95 have an ignition module? is that the black box on the right fener apron? could that be weak? I am lost on this one. I welcome any thoughts. The car used to run very well, strong.

Keep in mind....

That some of the manuals are WRONG in the plug firing order from the coil pack...And the wires could be what are failing you if one is not conected well...Also there was a ration of people realizing that they had broken a plug during instalation and went unnoticed...So there are a few things to rule out and ponder...

Good luck...Also you may wanna check your MAF wires for cleanliness...Belt slippage....Plugged cats can make a car seem boggey as well...

Brad

Does the car miss out or anything? From you description it sounds like youre saying it runs and acts fine but it just does'nt have any power, Is that correct?

I have put two sets of plugs in it, firing order is correct. It struggles to build rpm, If you floor it, it takes for ever to pass 3 or 4 grand. Then it seems with all that boost and nothing to do with it it heats up rapidly. I keep coming back to a weak spark. plugs are rich. black and sooty. so it has plenty of fuel. Do the 94-95 cars have something like the dis on 89-93 cars?

Yes....

THe 94-95 SC's have the DIS in a better location protected from the eng. temps...DIS failure is alot less common. Although still a possability I suppose...More than likely you would have gotten a lite with a DIS Glitch but ya just never know...

I tend to try and keep it simple at first though...For instance if you have plenty of boost and it is sluggish I would suspect the Cateletic converters to be plugged...Usually your boost will peg MUCH quicker in this case and will really slow the car BAD....So I would be checking that first...Run codes as well, even if you don't have a Check eng. lite on there can still be codes. Plugs and wires would not do what you are describing IMO....Much better explanation of what is going on this time...

Good luck

Brad

Cats?

Check the boost guage under moderate acceleration, if you have excess boost, 14 lbs or more, it is usually caused by a restriction in the exhaust. 99% of the time it is due to plugged up cats. Same thing happened to my car. This is not good, to much pressure results in a failed head gasket.

When my cats were clogged up the symptom was nasty bucking under boost once the car got up to temp.

Does any of you remember a similar story that turned out to be a balancer going bad throwing the timing WAY off via the crank signal? For some reason that is sticking in my head.....

The CATS are clogged

The symtoms you described are perfect for clogged cats. Very common on a blown head gasket job and the coolant tends to screw them up. I would actually go to an exhaust shop, have them loosen the pipe to the manifold and see if the back pressure is bad. Usually you can tell this by listening to the exhaust and It sounds like a hissing rather than exhaust. Sometimes you can feel it too. The heating up fast is a big tell tale sign.

OR....Timing WAY OFF!!!!!!! Timing retarded will do this also.

Just my .02

Don

Back