1992 SC vs 1992 SHO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well,
From what I have seen, read, whatever..... It all comes down to driver skill with the SHO's. Most Sho guys will say the SHO will win and most SC guys will favor their cars as well, but from what I have pieced together, it will be somewhat close.
Tranny's will make a difference. Auto vs. Stick. I would guess stick would always win in an auto vs. stick line-up.

Some guys here own Sho's, I would guess they will let you know what they think soon enough.

good luck,
skip

Well..

I kinda know from experience. I have a cousin with a 93 ATX SHO, a friend with a 95 ATX SHO, another friend who had a 94 ATX SHO and now has a 91 MTX SHO (plus). Of course I have a 91 SC auto, along with a couple of friends with a 91 auto, and a 91 manual. the 93 ATX ran a 15.6 at the track stock, the 95 ran a 15.7 at the track stock and the 91 MTX ran but couldn't hook up. His best was a 15.7 @ 91mph. The 91 MTX could beat the 91 auto SC half the time (which was my friends whose was completley stock), but if he got a bad launch it the SC would win. When he did hook up, he won by about a carlength. With my mods I could pretty much kill the MTX SHO from a stop no matter what his launch was. I didn't run my car stock, but my friends red 91 auto ran a 15.4. So pretty much it comes down the the driver. My friend with teh 93 SHO now has a Ted B. LPM, K an N filter, and a 94/95 computer. His car runs a best of 15.3 now.

Both are quick cars. Remember the auto has 215 ft/lbs of torque to try to make up the difference for the auto trannys. Its all going to be in the launch, and condition of the cars.

Last edited:
dont deny it. You know a sho would kill a SC :)

But modded all the way a SHO would lose horribly. Only because of front wheel drive

To all those true-blue SC lovers out there...Does it realy matter? When I went shopping for my first SC, the salesmen tried talking me into the SHO "tore ***". What it all came down to was... "you want me to drive that but ugly Taurus"? Needless to say I chose the ONLY 2 year old "Arrest-me-red" SC 5-speed on the lot, and never looked back... that is unless I'm checking my rear views for tore asses, people who drive them seem to drive them like they're Sunday church goers? Probably cause deep down, they know they're only in a tore ***! Nothing personal people.

DRIVE THE SC...
KNOW THE SC...
LOVE THE SC...

a SHO looks way more sporty then a Tbird sorry.. but of course this is a tbird forum. And every SHO around here would rape any Tbird around here also. Ya some people get shos and just drive them around because they get way better gas millage then regular taurus's. Overall at any speed from a dead stop from a roll any speed a taurus sho will eat a supercoupe weather its a 5 speed or not. You might be a few inches in front of a sho for a sec but after 2nd gear its all over. There just too heavy man. What is the top speed of a Thunderbird anyway 120 or something wow the sho smokes it there too. And the motor looks way better to boot :p

Last edited:
Well i gotta step in. I own a 94 sho and a 90 sc. I would say my supercoupe would smoke the hell out of the sho off the line but the sho really kicks in at the higher rpms unlike the SC. The sho would put up a good fight but my SC would just be to far ahead out of the hole for the sho to catch up. i mean it has 100 more ft/lbs of torque and the sho's dont really impress me off the line. They do impress me when they get into the higher rpm's but i would say my SC is gonna blow my sho away. I would like to figure a way to race them though. The cool thing about the sho is that it is a TOTAL sleeper. and that sometimes is better cause u can really turn some heads.

Matt

a SHO looks way more sporty then a Tbird sorry
Matter of opinion! I haven't heard of to many 4 door cars with FWD considered, "SPORTY". I guess that's just my opinion, but the 2 terms together in the same sentence seem like an oxymoron. I will say,,,the new RX8 is sporty for a 4 door,,,if it can be considered that.
but of course this is a tbird forum
I couldn't tell!
And every SHO around here would rape any Tbird around here also.
Elaborate on, "HERE" cause last time I was hanging around the SHO forums there were no where near as many SHO's running consistent 12's as there ar SC's.

Ya some people get shos and just drive them around because they get way better gas millage then regular taurus's.
YEAH....RIGHT! I am sure having a little power underneath you when you go down the road has nothing to do with it. I would figure for the most part people would buy a SHO because they like/need FWD and like/need 4 doors. How much fuel are we saving by buying a SHO anyway? 1 MPG? is that if you don't ever get on it.....that's to say if you do even get better economy.

Overall at any speed from a dead stop from a roll any speed a taurus sho will eat a supercoupe weather its a 5 speed or not.
Smoke another one. Most, "non-biased SHO owners" will admit that their cars don't perform to well off the line in comparison to an SC. We have quite a large torque advantage. Now, if you want to talk from a roll,,,,we are in a different ballgame. The SHO can pull waaay hard.
You might be a few inches in front of a sho for a sec but after 2nd gear its all over. There just too heavy man
Don't you mean a few car lengths? yes we are heavy, but we have over 100 ft. lbs advantage.
What is the top speed of a Thunderbird anyway 120 or something wow the sho smokes it there too. And the motor looks way better to boot
I am sure someone could have exact numbers, but we are more like mid to upper 140's depending on year and transmission. The motor looks way better? looks like any other RICE powered car to me.

Now before you want to jump on me, I'll have you know that next to the SC the SHO is one of my favorites. The information you have given is based on opinion and opinion only. I would suggest having a more "OPEN" mind when talking about your favorite car. Because you have a preference doesn't mean they are the car to own for everyone.

Good day!
Skip

hmm..

You wanna know whats funny? Every SHO owner I race and beat..they always want to go from a roll. Everything is about a roll to them. "Well if I was on a highway i would smoke you". I would just like to see a 1/4 mile track that goes from a roll. :rolleyes: I like SHO's to, but considering the motor is so high strung as it is, mods blow a fat one.

Course this guy is a troll and Im just feeding into it. But oh well, im bored. :D

Well first off the taurus sho is not my favorite car at all lol. I was just saying that it was faster then a supercoupe " stock" and yes fast SHOs are more rare then fast supercoupes. One big reason is because they are so expensive to make fast and two to get traction in them costs alot of money also. The reason I say sporty who ever said they arnt considerd sporty made an absolute idiotic lie because they are what is called a SPORTS SEDAN. And yes a taurus SHO was one of the 1st real sports sedans. No rice rocket motor has ever looked like the SHO motor. If you know cars this motor resembles more of an exotic cars engine not a ricer although it was designd by Yamaha
And oh yea I know someone that has a SHO that runs better then a 14.8 so the ones you raced were probly very much stock and people who couldnt drive. SHOs were common to dip into the high 14s stock with a good driver. Just like my friends did when he bought it with 50,000 miles. Either way a Taurus SHO isnt a drag car. If you buy a SHO to drag you are a dumb ****.

Last edited:
superchargedv6 said:
Well first off the taurus sho is not my favorite car at all lol. I was just saying that it was faster then a supercoupe " stock" and yes fast SHOs are more rare then fast supercoupes. One big reason is because they are so expensive to make fast and two to get traction in them costs alot of money also. The reason I say sporty who ever said they arnt considerd sporty made an absolute idiotic lie because they are what is called a SPORTS SEDAN. And yes a taurus SHO was one of the 1st real sports sedans. No rice rocket motor has ever looked like the SHO motor. If you know cars this motor resembles more of an exotic cars engine not a ricer although it was designd by Yamaha
And oh yea I know someone that has a SHO that runs better then a 14.8 so the ones you raced were probly very much stock and people who couldnt drive. SHOs were common to dip into the high 14s stock with a good driver. Just like my friends did when he bought it with 50,000 miles. Either way a Taurus SHO isnt a drag car. If you buy a SHO to drag you are a dumb ****.

Actually thats the problem. All sho owners think there cars are 14 second cars. There not. There mid 15 second cars and maybe low 15's at best for a manual. One out of many dip into the 14's, and so do some SC's. Matter a fact, I see people on shoforum comparing all there cars to the new 280 hp LS's and the new maxima's and even comparing there performance with the new mustang GT's. Im sorry but get real.
Considering on my run for a 14.8 all i had was my resonator cut off and an OD pully, I think thats pretty dang good considering a early model auto was the slowest of all supercoupes. I would like to see an automatic SHO run that with 90 dollars in mods.
:rolleyes: Let alone an MTX SHO. I have race various other SHO's besides the ones I listed among one guy on the SHO forum..maybe SHO speed? in his early model SHO that said he would toast me. :rolleyes: That didn't happen.

You know someone that runs better? Thats great. Makes my whole point. 1 person on outta everyone...you know ONE SHO that runs that. I have seen a many SC's pass my time stock. Mine isnt' exactly a freak. I didn't say a SHO couldn't beat my, but everyone I have ran into I have. And its been more than one run. We do "comparative" driving queit often with the same outcomes.

And you gotta remember, they bumped up the 94/95 SC to 230 hp and 330 ft/lbs of torque. Manual vs manual I would put my money on the SC but thats just me.

How many SHO's were produced?
SC's were produced from 89 to 95. It's not like there were an incredible amount produced.
With that in mind, think about how many aftermarket companies there are supplying parts to our cars. I would assume you don't know,,,,but not many.
You acknowledge our cars are heavy,,,, how easy do you think it is to make 4000lb car with a 6 go fast in which production was ended nealry 10 years ago????

Last not Forget to add the Mustang which took any wind out of the SC sails. Talk about killing an unseen market.

Skip

well i dont think manual transmission win all the time ;)

on sunday night

i raced an INTEGRA GSR and burned him by 2 cars
after that i burned another INTEGRA RS by 6 cars

to make them feel stupid my 91 is a AOD

the only mod i have in it is my home made INTAKE.

This SHO ive seen looks like my grandpas car. His old DODGE 600.

I prefer the SUPER COUPE over a TAURUS anyday.
Dont care about its engine. You gotta have that bad *** one of a kind look.

SHO vs. SC

What is the horsepower rating on the SHO anyway? Did it vary during the years they were produced. I have a 91 SC with the aod that is stock, but for the flowmaster muffs. I used to have a 88 Mustang GT 5 speed and I thought it ran like a scolded dog. Those cars were rated at 225 horsepower and I believe my SC would take it. The SHO is a high performance sport sedan, but it is not a drag car, so get an SC or go home.

Super91coupe

The sho's were something like 220. when they went to an 8 they jumped to 230-240.....I can't recall. Not my specialty, but I would suppose our new friend would know.

I believe performance did vary with the SHO's, I gather from what I have read that the earlier ones are faster.

Mustangs really only had something like 205 hp. You can thank FORD for typically overrating their stuff. Hopefully someone who knows better can elaborate more as this is only stuff I have read. I don't know the exact details.

The SC's far from a drag car too dude. You were better off with the Stang for that. Ideally I would love to have all three in my garage at some point!

Skip:D

they are all fords

I know the Sc is not a drag car. I just meant it has more accelleration than the GT did and I thought it would s*** and git.

The SHO would be nice to have I guess as more of a family type car and I wish I had the GT still as a daily driver and save the SC for special occasions.

They are all Fords though and we all know the chevy guys are envious.

super91coupe

Well, my only data point here is Memorial Day 1994 when I went out looking for a new car. I was interested in SHOs so tried several 94 5-speeds. Then the salesman pulls out this 93 SC and suggest I take a ride.

I'm sorry, the torque was like night and day. The SC was way more fun driving around town with that torque and the SC whine. It was no contest for me. Also, IMHO, I thought the SHO felt a little dorky to drive - the SC being way cooler! We complain a little about the SC stick being balky but it was smoother than the stick on that new 94 SHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back