timing chain replacement?

Boostman23

How hard is this and what all do I need to do the job correctly?
Also is there any other suggested things to be replaced while I'm in there?

thanks in advance

Well you have to take off the HB, the timing cover and water pump to get to it. Not a fun job.
Why do you need to replace the timing chain?

I am getting a clanking noise from the front of the engine and a machanic friend of mine thinks that the chain is the cause. the engine has about 115K on it and it is the orginal chain. Since I have to remove the HB, harmonic balancer I assume, will I need a new one? If so I guess I need to start saving for a BHJ Balancer.

Any way to check the chain to make sure it is baf for sure? I would hate to do the job if that is not the problem.

Have you pulled all of the belts to see if it is coming from the engine?

If it is internal engine, then you are going to have to pull the timing cover.

Aaron

Belts are off and noise still there. My friend said that it is too fast of a clanking noise to be a rod bearing or something internal, but bet that the timing chain was the problem. He said that maybe there is too much slack in the chain and that is causing the noise since it can only be hard at idle.

Any other thoughts?

Well, even if it isn't in the timing chain, it sounds internal so you will need to pull more than the cover if it isn't the chain.

Can anyone chime in on the tensioners, I thought that hte tensioners were prone to failure?

Aaron

if you mean the belt tensioners, then they have no impact on this sound as my belts are off.

What all needs to be taken off to get to the timing chain? I would say off the top of my water pump, assec barckets, crank pulley, what else?

The timing chain has a tensioner. I haven't pulled my engine yet so I can't really say much about it as far as quality.

Aaron

Well I tore my engine down at 128,000 miles and was very suprised at what I found. Without a doubt the highest wear item was the rocker arms followed by the upper main bearing halfs which were worn into the copper, However they were no more worn than any other engine I've torn down with that much mileage on it.
Compairing my cam chain and sprockets visually they look no different than the brand new ones. The rubbing block on the tensioner looked hardly used, but unlike the gears you could tell it had beeen used.

Back