Codes and Modules

notsofine89

Can't get whatever codes it's giving...car is presently in Stockton, I'm in San Francisco (90 minute drive). Ford dealer out separates the mechanic from the customer with a guy called a "service advisor". Getting ahold of your serivce advisor at this dealership isn't easy...usually one of the receptionists has to take a message....then once you do get ahold of him, he has to go back and check with the mechanic and call you back.

Don't know what a DIS module is, but it probably hasn't been replaced. What has been replaced is the crankshaft sensor thing that works with the Harmonic Balancer. My service advisor says he is sure that this isn't the problem.

My $0.02 (long)

Is it possible for you to get your car away from these people? If you can, do it quickly... Even if you have to push it off their property. Go to WalMart (or some other store that has an auto parts section) and by a basic code reader for about $30.00 (or less). From my experience with the dealership, even if you know absolutely nothing about these cars, you know more than the typical dealer "technician". (There are some exceptions to this so no offense intended to the handful of Ford Service guys out there that do know their stuff.) They will throw parts at the car until they get it running and all the while run you up a tab that will make you want to dump your ride because it is a "money pit". There are very few problems that you can encounter with the birds that haven't been experienced by someone on this BBS already. Research this board, ask questions, and follow (most) of the advise you get here.

If it sounds like I am trying to scare you away from the dealership, I am.....

DIS = Distributorless Ignition System

(Have them check to see if the upshift (amber arrow) indicator on the instrument panel stays on when cranking the car. If it does, the crank sensor is either bad, or not properly installed, or you have a broken balancer resulting in crank sensor failure... regardless of what they tell you.)

Notsofine89

try not to jump threads or you will have to explain yourself over and over.

The violent shaking of you engine is what caused the first balancer to die. The BHJ will survive the shake but the rest of the engine won't.

When the car won't start, does the up-shift light stay on while cranking?

Does the tach jump erratically while cranking on a no start? While running badly?

What plugs are in the engine? How old?
Did you replace the plug wires?

Can anyone in the area help this guy out?

Aaron

Car is a 90minute drive from me at the moment

Sorry about jumping threads....I got the "new thread" and "post reply" buttons mixed up.

Don't remember if the shift up light came on....I do remember that when it died, the "check engine" light lit up and seemed to stay that way till I turned the key off.

I've gotten some good info here, but what I've concluded is:

1). Neither Serramonte Ford nor Big Valley know spit about this car

2). It is unwise to shop for junkyard parts till I get error codes off this thing.

3). It's going to be up to me to get this thing running.

I'll post future responses to this problem on the previous thread titled <I>Processor Control Module? (PCM)</I>

Back