no cruise control

hepcat

I just picked up a 94 sc and the Cruise control doesn't work at all. I tried checking fuses but couldn't find any.

What all do i need to check?

Thanks

Electrically you need to check these things;

Brake switch, Do the brake lights work?

Clutch switch, Is it a stick? If not, is the shorting block in place on the clutch switch harness? If it is a stick you need to check the clutch switch (connected between pins 3&4 with the pedal up, open with the pedal down)

The fuse covering the speed control amp is the same one covering the clock (among other things), does that work?

Those are the most likely electrical problems.

Also possible are vacuum problems.

You should have a 3/8" vacuum line running into the drivers fender up nerar the firewall, connected to the vacuum tree below the drivers side wiper blade. That is the vacuum supply.

Another common problem is the mechanical override. There is a vacuum switch (valve) on the brake pedal. This should be adjusted so that when the pedal is up the valve is pushed in. Lok for a 3/8" hose up on the brake pedal arm, and make sure the box on the end of it is pushed all the way up against the brake pedal arm.

It sounds like Andy's response will give you more points to check, but I thought that I would throw in my experience, but it was not in my SC. It was in an 84 GM. What happened was that the electical connector that attached to the cruise control modulator had a wire that was not connected correctly. The wire came out of the electrical connector. So, I lengthened the wire and that fixed it. I don't know where the cruise control modulator is, but it's got to be the same place where the vacuum connections go. I hope that helps.

Mike

sweetq

Thanks guys I will check those things because that sounds like everthing there is to check.

thanks again.

hepcat75

Back