Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how long does it take to do the HG's

how long does it take to do the HG's

how long does it take to replace the headgaskets. im trying to go for a 1 day project. any ideas?

If your gonna do it in one day, I'd suggest to start REALLY early and expect to get finished REALLY late. I would say a weekend would be more realistic, especially if you've never done it before.

I am getting finished w/ my blown head gasket, but that's a different story all together. I went from simply changing out a blown HG to getting my heads stage 2 port and polish, a balance and blueprinted block and completely cleaning and painting my engine and components and a whole lot more...2 months later

Just be aware of what you have to take off to get to your heads. It's a lot. And are your aluminum heads cracked or stressed at all?..rhetorical.

If you have any specific questions let me know. Like I said, I just finish this job.

Good luck,
    Metalman

well... hmmm... i have all the tools necessery. i think i am going to do them myself because im not talking to my dad at the moment and hes the mechanic. i have the instructions on how to take them off. but im just wondering how long it would take because this is my only means of transportation. any other thoughts?

Are you sure your HG's are blown?

well after reading about air bubbles in the coolant overflow thingy. and how my coolant keeps dissappearing. and reading several articles about 1991 SC's having weak stock HG's im leaning on doing them. then again my car does have 170,000 miles ok it. i think i owe it to my car to replace its HG's. what do u think...

170,000 miles!!!!! I think you owe it a complete rebuild.

i done mine in about 6 hours and that is having never done them before now i can do it in about 2-3 hours but i suggest having the heads checked just in case and that could take awhile longer so what i would do is contact a machine shop and set an appointment to have yours checked so you won't have to wait because they are swamped just my opinion

2-3 hrs? Are you lookin for a job? I can hook you up if youre that good!

i am always looking for a job working on cars i grew up with a mechanic of 25 years as a step father so i love it i also love sc's or tbirds in general when i got mine i went through and learned everything i could i am in the process of making a 9 sec bird so i know what it is to chang head gaskets

My roommate holds the record for weirdest place. He did it in 6 hours in our college parking lot. 'Course, it was a Stang, but it's all the same.

It didn't take me long at all to changes my head gaskets.
    Just a little over 2 months.

Mike do you think you could find me a job.

But I did do a couple extra things while I had it down.

randy

Took me three months, but that was working on it in my few free hours each week... But most of that time was doing other stuff - the actual tear down took the better part of a day, and once everything was ready to replace, it was only a couple days work. But I like to take my time. And there were some delays getting parts, deciding on parts, etc...

LOL!!!! Randy I'm having a problem finding me a job! LOL!!!
    I was just funin with him, but if he can change SC HG's in 2-3 hours thats AMAZING!!!! I bet he's just a blur moving around so fast. LOL!!!

YUP NEED TO CHANGE HIS NAME, FastNnastyblur.
    Last edited by Randy N Connie; 11-07-2003 at 01:35 PM.

the weirdest place i have ever changed head gaskets was in a grocery store parking lot and it only to 45 minutes but it was not my bird it was my uncles 5.0 stang and those are easy the only reason we did it there was because we were out of town otherwise we would have towed it to my house