how long does it take to do the HG's

As being the King of weird....

I got $$ to watch a 45 imnute swap even in a garage.... I have been doing this for a lot longer than I like to remember and unless we are talking a top fuel rail here, it is going to take longer than one hour.... Those that watched me change that water pump at last years MN12 nats. know that I can turn a wrench, but that is not enought time to clean and check anything, much less do the job right...
On a 302 stang there are at least 30 bolts that must be torqued and that 20 of them have to be done in three steps....I am not saying "BULL SH$T" rather I want to watch this magic act. Better yet, take it to Vegas and go on stage, you will make a killing...
By the way, how long did that repair last???? I have said it now so lets hear it......Rich

it is not really a magic act but however i do not do the three step per bolt thing because a stock motor does not produce enough power to worry about that and i knew that the head gaskets would be blown quik anyway because it is my uncles and he cannot drive for crap but i am just a (shade tree machanic)lol :D

Ahhhhh......Thats what I thought, youre skiping alot of stuff to do it that fast. Not following the torque procedure on the heads like that is going to give you lots of practice because there gonna blow again real soon.
I really would like to see this.
Theres no way in hell youve changed HG's in 45 minutes on ANY car period!:rolleyes:

i can and have done it on my uncles mustang 5.0 but only that car that fast i live in west texas where we have no rain no rust the only reason i do not follow proper procedure on his car is that it would be a waste of time because he does not know how to take care of his car and blows head gaskets all the time and i am talking about 1-2 times a month i don't mean to come off like i am the best because i will be the first to say i am not but i have had some practice:cool:

Well lets fix it once RIGHT and be done...

If you like doing this job,or he likes paying for parts is up to you guys. For my money, I would do it right once and be done with it.
Take the heads and get them cut, add NEW head bolts, and cross your fingers that the block is not out of true... You should really check that also... being that he has done this sooooooooooooooo many times....[ no wonder he is so fast at it, there are zippers on this engine] and you have repaired it as many times....
Do both of you a favor, take your time and to it right, unless you got a thing for the local parts guy, in which case, don't tell us...
We always have time to do the job more than once, but never have the time to do it right the first time....Boy I wish I had a dollor for every time I have ran into that story......Rich

i do not follow proper procedure on his car is that it would be a waste of time because he does not know how to take care of his car and blows head gaskets all the time and i am talking about 1-2 times a month

I can see why they blow 1-2 times a month. Your uncle needs a new mechanic! No I'm sorry your uncle needs a real mechanic, big difference there.

ok i guess you guys did not understand the part where i said he cannot drive so it is not my fault i prefer doing things right and do them right on my car but it seems that all yall can do is rag on me i am a real mechanic but the first rule of any buisness is that the customer is always right so if that is how my uncle wants it done then that is how i will do it but if it makes yall feel good about yourself rag on a little more go on with your lives also i don't have a thing for the local parts guy it is just that i can get parts at factory cost so it doesn't cost a whole lot and it is not my money any way:cool:

I need some advice on this. I coincidentally started this job today on my 1990 SC with 90,000 miles. I'm thinking this will take me a couple months because I am still trying to figure out how to take everything apart (that's one heckuva cramped engine compartment) I know I want to take it slow and maybe have the IC cleaned since everything is apart. I plan on sending the heads out to the machine shop. Would you advice taking the SC apart and inspecting it? How about the order of taking things apart to get down to those buried heads?

i no mechanic or anything(lol) but first of course disconnect the battery then i would remove the intake tube,remove the front accesories,take off the upper ic tube,take off the lower ic tube,then at the same time take off the supercharger and inlet that the t-body is attached to,then take off the exhaust manifolds,then the return plenum and lower intake,then the valve covers,then the heads,also i would recomend having the radiator cleaned,new radiator cap,and new thermostat,and of course new bolts all around,
but probably knew that i just thought i would mention it.i may have forgot a few things but it has been awhile since i have worked on my sc good luck

Thanks, I/m pretty confident with all that stuff, I/m just worried about the mountain of wire harness, A/c compressor, coil, dis and others (looks like it all needs to come of to get access. Would you leave the super charger intact or take it apart (like take the top off then the bottom. Is it possible to get it off as a complet unit?

nastybird93sc said:
ok i guess you guys did not understand the part where i said he cannot drive so it is not my fault i prefer doing things right and do them right on my car but it seems that all yall can do is rag on me i am a real mechanic but the first rule of any buisness is that the customer is always right so if that is how my uncle wants it done then that is how i will do it but if it makes yall feel good about yourself rag on a little more go on with your lives also i don't have a thing for the local parts guy it is just that i can get parts at factory cost so it doesn't cost a whole lot and it is not my money any way:cool:

Yeah I understood that. Could you tell me what it is in his driving skills or lack of as you put it that would blow HG's 1-2 times a month? That ones really causing confusion.

You say youre a real mechanic yet you allow the customer to tell you how to fasten bolts? I'm sorry but I know alot of pro mechanics and no customer is going to tell them how to do there job, if the damn customer knows so much about it then why the hell are they hiring someone to work on it for them. BS!!!

I'm not trying to just rag on you, but YOU came here talking BS about how you can change SC HG's in 2-3 hours. My contention is you cant do it right in that time frame and you finaly admitted that several posts into your meraculious claim.
Furthermore I'll go on record saying your full of BS about changing stang HG's in parking lot in 45 minutes. YOU didnt do it!!!!
As for that lame excuse not to do the job correct of "The customer told me to do it that way" I geuss you would put spark plugs in the wheels for lugnuts and lugnuts in the heads for sparkplugs if the customer told you to do that way then...huh?

Now for the parts pricing: Whats factory price? What does that mean? I've been working on cars for over 25 years and I've known about all kinds of pricing structures but I've never heard of factory price. Would you please explain that one to me?:rolleyes:

You sir are NO mechanic, your very own stories prove this.:rolleyes:

not sure what you mean take the sc apart you shouldn't have to i also did not know that there was a bottom unless you are talking about the lower intake but if you want you can take off the top i also would rebuild the sc while it is off i am not sure how to do that because i havn't rebuilt one although i have just replaced one on my other supercoupe:cool:

I just meant everthing under the top (body). I think I might just change the oil in it and maybe new nose bearings because the car has only 90,000 miles on it. Also did the a/c compressor get in your way because I removed the 4 bolts holding it and it does not really move much due to the a/c lines still attached.

well what i mean by the customer is right is that if they want a half *** job done so that it gets done quik then that is what i will do i don't let them tell me exactly how do do it and as far as his driving skills he does not know when to let off untill something breaks also you say my stories are bs i would like to invite you to come watch me if you want i also need to apologise to darkstar one for all of the crap talking that has tokk over his post and this will be my last post on it so he can have his thread back from now on i want to call a truce i won't say anything about you and you please don't saying about me you do it your way and i will do it mine have a nice day:D

Fair enough.....This is my last words on it as well. But youre the one that came here and made the claim not me.
Tell you what...You put a video up of this feat and I'll get on here making a new thread apologising to you and I'll eat all the crow that comes my way.
I'm really not trying to rag you man but myself and several others here have done this job and several of us have done it many times. I just dont beleive what your saying, but prove me wrong with that video and I'll do everything I listed above.:D

i just replaced the oil in mine to and as far as the ac i was able to move it far enough over to the fender that it did not get in the way:)

which do you want to see the t-bird hg's changed or the mustang hg's changed cause i have to rebuild my whole motor in the bird so i cannot do that one:)

There are a lot of guys in Texas...& 35th bird

Maybe we can set up a show for you to do your magic show for someone who can report back to us, you know, to clear the air and such.... What do you think of that idea???

Now on a better note, 35th t-bird, you should be ok on that blower, change the oil and leave the rest of it alone. Unless it is making noise, or leaking oil it should be good to go. You also asked about all the wiring, well most of it will unplug and only goes one way, so it is a bit hard to goof up.
Like I said before take a bunch of pic's and label everything and this job is not too bad.. Yes some of it is a pain in the a$$ but take your time and mark everything and it will go ok.
Something else to do is put the bolts for each part with that part. This will make it a lot better when you go to put it back together... Use some tape or zip ties to keep things together... Good luck on your job and keep us informed. If you run into a bind, give myself or one of the other "sharper" guys a hit and we will be more than glad to help you.......Rich

Thats fine, The 45 minute mustang HG change in a parking lot of Kroger, Piggly wiggly, A&P or whatever you guys have is fine.
45 minutes to lift the hood and get started with nothing removed prior to the job, No fluids removed, change the HG's reassymble everything and start the motor.
Yep that will be fine.

Back