A Question Regarding Steering Wheel Feedback

SC-71 TBIRD

I have been driving my SC for a week now and notice that the steering inputs are awfully light or "loose" is the perfect word and no road feel. I do not remember clearly but when the SC was first released one of the reviewers complaint was that the steering lacked "feel" from the road. I generally like a fair amount of feedback from the steering wheel while driving, especially at high speeds. I am afraid to drive the car hard around a bend thinking I will lose control of the car. My question is what can I do to make the steering alittle more heavier and have more road feel.

The steering on SC's is speed sensitive.
The slower the car is moving, the "easier" it feels to steer. As speed increases the steering will feel "heavier".

My story has a point

Out here in chicago, on I94 going northbound, there is a spot commonly refered to dead mans curve. Being in winter time, or in rainy weather, there's usually a daily accident. It curves roughly 75 degrees right, left, then right, and has about 6 overpasses above you. I hooked through there hittin 115mph and staying in the lines. On the offramps, I've hit a best of 70, w/no squealing. And on the regular, less crowded I80, i pulled 130 through the turns w/no problems. My point, If you can drive, and handle the car, you'll be fine. The steering does feel different at different speeds, you just need to adapt to it. Also, if you drive fast, try with both the firm ride on and off. You will notice a difference between the two. It is kinda strange having a big car handle like a bimmer, and it's even funner contending against them at high speeds. They just have that stunned look in their eyes.

There are several scenarios surrounding your complaints.

First of all, there are problems with the steering in some SC's "pulsing" during sustained cornering loads. The root cause of this is unknown but some SC's have very mild symptoms while some are downright dangerous. I suspect it has to do with the torsion rods in the power steering rack. I suspect that worn racks may cause the bulk of this problem. It could also be caused by worn rack bushings or some other quirk in the system.

Normally the SC has pretty decent steering manners which invoke confidence. Yes, there is always a lack of road feel. Replacement of all bushings with poly and replacing the rag joint with a U-joint would likely rectify a lot of the lack of road feel.

If your SC has abnormally light steering wheel "feel" at highway speeds, then it is very possible that the variable assist is not even working. If the system doesn't recieve the signals it needs from the sensors it defaults to full assist.

so, are all the variable assist features in the rack?
When we did the install of the new motor in the 92 we replaced the rack.
It had some pulsation before, and it stll does.
Does this mean I need to replace other parts?

The pulsation I'm refering to is not severe but more noticeable as speeds increase when cornering...I also notice a slight pulse when driving in a straight line...very slight, steering wheel shake

I believe that is what's happening with my steering XR7 Dave, the steering is always in full assist. Now the question is how to diagnos, and the equipment that is needed to rectify the problem. I have notice (sometimes) the steering makes a loud "whining" noise even when the car is at idle and the wheels are straight.:confused:

Oh by the way Dave, how good is that AOD Lentech? I am considering qetting that trans in the future. Not in the near future I am sorry to say but the future never or less.;)

2 Hot 2 Handle said:
so, are all the variable assist features in the rack?
When we did the install of the new motor in the 92 we replaced the rack.

The racks for 89 - 97 MN-12 cars are all the same. The variable assist is done with a valve in the P/S pump, and controlled by an electronic module.

cheers
Ed N.

when my speed sensor in the tranny was bad mine had full assist at highway speeds and it seemed dangerous to me it was to touchy

SC-71 TBIRD said:
Oh by the way Dave, how good is that AOD Lentech? I am considering qetting that trans in the future. Not in the near future I am sorry to say but the future never or less.

I don't believe Dave has a lentech AOD, We do and its very nice, only drw back is no WOT shifts to OD, it will jump back into 3rd and rev to the moon...scary....we can still go fast in OD just not WOT....I used to have a trans-go shift kit in the the Old tranny & it would alow WOT shifts into OD, but the bands will not last as you prolly know.

Last edited:
Sorry about that 2 hot 2 handle,:eek: stupid me a got the names mixed up. In my speedo post I mentioned that I believe the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) are causing my speedo gauge not to work and this also causing the steering to be in full assist all the time. Listening to everyone's post in diagnosing the problems are helping me alot and I thank everyone for there input. You guys are good.:D

Last edited:
BTW...

The electronic module that Ed is referring to that controls the EVO (Electronic Valve Orifrice) pump is the ARC (Automatic Ride control) module.

interesting

Is there also not ...a variable ratio in the.. rack/pump [turns tighter at low speeds ] not just feel ...mine don't work either ..did in my 89 xr7 ..so know what it feels like when it works .. mine seems to turn tighter the faster I go...to the point where ...I have to almost counter steer it ..it is so sensitive..very little streering wheel input ..and the front end is straight ...dave

question for deep6

Deep6, please shed a little light.

I recently changed from the stock shocks to Bilsteins w/out "adjustable ride control" feature. Is there something I should have done to ensure that my power steering isn't "messed-up" b/c there is no input from the shocks? thanks.

To the best of my knowledge....

Please correct me if I am wrong:

The Steering uses a "Variable Assist" set up not a "variable Ratio" one seen on newer cars. There is a EVO valve in the power steering pump that will gradually restrict fluid flow for spirited driving.

During low speed (parking lot) operation, the valve is in full open position and therefore full steering boost is felt. On the highway, the valve closes down to restrict flow so that way the steering feels more on center and doesn't get too light feeling on the highway. Many folks who have driven cars with manual steering have relished in the joys of the increased steering feedback that a manual rack provides, but they lament the lack of power assist at parking lot speeds when they must provide all of the muscle. Ford's EVO system was supposed to be able to provide the best of both worlds.

I've been told that that EVO valve is controlled via the ARC computer. Think of the EVO valve as a "5th" shock actuator. When the ARC computer "decides" to engage the Firm ride setting, the EVO valve is actuated too. But this doesn't occur at low speed otherwise you'd be able to tell.

In theory if you were to select "firm ride" it should work, but again doesn't. The ARC's control over the EVO seems independent of the ride control selction.

SO, since you have disconnected your ARC actuators and placed the switch in "FIRM", you haven't noticed any adverse affects. The computer "thinks" that you have manually overridden it's ride control feature, but still continues to provide input for the EVO.

Guys who are experiencing a Full open EVO, may need to flush their powersteering system, or replace the valve. If there was a circuit problem, then the ARC computer would throw a trouble code.

I have just changed the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS), and my light steering problem is gone.:D Now I can drive at high speeds with little worry. Thanks again for all of your inputs guys.;)

Back