Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Supercoupe 1992

I gave a call to my local ford dealer and ask him more info about that upper table thing. It is indeed what I thought it was: its what "hold" the uper part of the suspension (I've been told that its like in racing car). But it almost never "break" and prolly mean that the car either was involved in a "crash" or was rought driven or it may also be only about bad luck.
    The piece cost 150 $

I've also seen another SC 92 a black one.
    Description there : http://babelfish.altavista.com/babel...p=fr_en&tt=url
    It being traduced by altavista translator so expect some mistake!

Seems a better deal to me even if the price is higher.

plz Tell me what you Think !

xizor

that one doesnt look too bad either. I wouldnt be too quick to believe the ford dealers personally, a second opinion may be a good idea. This one seems like it'd be worth the price though. Either way sounds like a decent deal.

Is he talking about a broken control arm, or worn balljoint or something like that?

JH

yeah its a balljoint. But that an easy fix

I also have another option
    for 4500
    a 92 sc same as the 1st one
    with some mod 245hp/345lt
    and cosmetic mod too

shoowroom condition (that what the guy claims)

gotta consider thsi one too

since its not the price that matter the most.

balljoint failures are very common problems in these cars. I have replaced balljoints on every tbird i've had.

Very easy, just buy a new control arm and bolt it on in your driveway.

I wouldn't buy a modified sc in most cases they are beat on. The only exception would be a very clean car with everything done right.

JH

yeah i thought about that. but seems like a really clean car.
    anyway I gotta see it ...
    hate my job for my 9am to 9pm work hours !

Oky now I've seen them all 3. 2 of them are eliminated and I'm questionning mysefl on the last one.

The 1st one I spoke of here was a white SC 92 for 2000(can). This one was bad on the body there was no big rust spot but there was A LOT of small one and moreover needed a blower and the upper suspension table. I won't buy this one.

Second on was a black SC 92 for 3000(can) (with a link to a web page)
    This one was really nice untill I looked under the car !! the passenger floor was really rusty and the seat was not stable.

Third one : a 92 SC for 4500$ (can) Never seen snow NO RUST AT ALL Really clean car. The only thing that botter me was about the mod of the car. Dont remember exactly what is modded (I remember about cam but there was smth else too) so the car now has 245hp and 345 of torque. But the car was stopped from running about a month ago and the engine was not running good ... I wonder if it can only be because it has not worked for a month of if there's something esle ...
    Other then that the car IS REALLY CLEAN and in nice shape !

What do you guys think about that 3rd one ??!

Hello; and welcome to the SCCOA!

It seems the cars you have picked so far have good and bad things about them.

There are some main issues which you should watch for when buying a Supercoupe.

1st, if you see any rust, look very close. Prime areas for these cars to rust are under the side ground effects (body plastic), and under the rear quarter panels. Both areas are hard to see, and unfortunately often go undeteced.

2nd, the headgaskets on these cars can go bad if the coolant system is not maintained. Look for air bubbles in the (underhood) overflow tank, overheating when driving down a road at speed, very rough idle or hard starting, milky coffee like oil (coolant in oil), and oil in coolant.

A 3rd issue, Motor Mounts. These are not a big deal if the car is not driven a lot with bad mounts. Check for slightly rough or low idle, oil-pan sitting near or on crossmember, engine movement while running. The stock motor mounts are fluid in a rubber shell, and break after a while. Many places sell new & improved ones for the Supercoupe community.

Number 4, on pre-1992 cars, look for brake system warning lights. Either the orange ABS light or the red brake light. If these are glowing, there may be a relatively expensive problem.. perhaps involving the accumulator.

Finally for now, if it has a manual transmission (M5R2). Check for smooth shifting, smooth going into gear, and no grinding. The synchros in the manual trans can wear out if abused.

In my own and others' experience these cars can be very reliable if maintained well. There really are no more issues than with a regular car, but it is better to look longer and spend more when you buy than to get a cheap price and try to fix it. Buying cheap and fixing can cost you more later.

As for gas mileage, I think this car would equal or beat your Nissan when driven normally. I can not give you useful mileage figures in Canadian, but it usually gets 400 miles to a tank on the highway and 250 to 300 miles in the city. Highway economy is excellent.

Lastly, about the car you mentioned for 4500 dollars, it sounds nice. Check for the things I mentioned, and try to figure out why it is running rough. It could simply be a Vaccuum leak, or it could be the start of a head gasket. Many of these cars are sold at good prices because of small issues that seem bigger than they are.

In any case, I hope that helps a little, Goodluck in your search! If you have more Questions, just ask!

For the 3rd one it as modofed camshaft and a chip (on computer) (dont know how to say it in english). I've read that cam can make your engine run a 'lil unstable wich was quite the case of this one. And I need to say that when I saw the car it had not worked for a month and it was rainning HARD!. But now, I called the guy back, and he told me that his other car was broke, and that he use is SC so I will see if its better now.
    There NO RUST at all on his car ! wich is really important to me.

I want to choose a car not a price.

Even thought the guy from the black SC (floor problem one) emailed me back and offered me his car for 2000$ I dont want trouble !

more info later I gotta go to work now !

Some camshafts can make a car run less smoothly at idle, sometimes by a fair amount. However, sometimes people take advantage of this by saying its a cam when there might really be a problem. In this case it is hard to tell.. others know more about how a cam affects this engine than I.

I suggest you go and test drive the car, report anything unusual that you notice. Include how it idles, how engine feels when accelerating (any misfiring?), any odd smells, check fluids and say how they look, check exhaust for smoke, ect. See if he will pull one of the spark plugs for you to investigate if you really want to know.

It is possible there is nothing wrong with the car.

If he has maintainance records, I would ask to see those.

As for that chip, ask what kind it is. Many "off-the-shelf" or "store bought" chips for this car are not the correct program, and cause negative symptoms. There are chips custom made for this car which are proven to work well.

In all, I think you have found a good deal. Some mechanical problems can also be overlooked for a car with good body at the right price .

Let us know!

I haven't seen the maintenance record yet but he clain to have them. He have the bill for the rebuilt of the engine by ford and some other bill like the change of all teh oil of the tranny.
    Anyway I'll be seeing the car and guy tomorow.

If the engine was rebuilt by Ford I would go into the main technical forum and ask for the opinions of others who are experienced with Ford rebuilt engines. It seems some have been unsatisfied with rebuilds from Ford.