Supercoupe 1992

xizor

Hi all
Firts thing I'm going to say is that I'm from Quebec, Canada and that english is not my primary language.

I need to know what you guys think about that 1992 T-bird SC
first of all I would like to know how much MPG This car can do(assusming its in condition) ??
Currently I'm driving a nissan 240 sx 1989 wich give's me really poor MPG average. Say I fill the tank and it cost me 40$ (CAN) I can be sure I wont make 500 kilometers (in Canada we dont use miles ;) ) I would really like the car to do at least the same then my nissan.

Second I would like to know what you guys think of this offer
I'll put the original ad (french) and will traduce it right after :

Ford Thunderbird SC 1992, modèle rare, tout équipé, 6 cyl. SuperCharge 3.8 litres, 220 ch, RWD, mags 16", 190 000 km, ext blanc, int noir bancs en cuir noir elec, vitres élec, portes élec, miroir élec, toit ouvrant élec, antenne élec, controle électronique de la température, miroir auto-tint, auto-lamp, cruise control, tilt, suspension adjustable, A/C, systeme de son premium, roule parfait, beau modèle, un peu de rouille de surface, mec AA-1, intérieur mint, tout original.

Ford T-bird SC 1992, rare, all equiped, SC 3.8 liters, 220HP (is that true ??), 16" mags, 190 000 kilometers, white with leather black interior, power seat, power mirror, power window, power antenna, automatic temperature control, auto-tint miroir, auto-lamp, cruise control, power moonroof, tilt (anyone know what does that mean ?), C/A, premium sound system (is that the great sound system with 2 9" woofer??), perfect mecanic, interior mint, adjustable "suspension" (is that the word ?), a 'lil surface rust

The guy is asking 2000$ (CAN) and say he could sell another for parts for 900$.

I'm really interested in that car mainly because the car I liked the most was a 1989 Ford T-bird TURBOCOUPE wich was really well equiped too and moreover was with a std tranny! Hope this one is std too ... but prolly not.

that 1989 TC T-bird was about the same as my 240sx in mpg maybe even a 'lil better but it was only a 2.3l turbo 4 cyl engine not a 3.8 SC !

Btw can any of you tell me what too look for before buying this one ? like something that can break often.

And again ... I'm sorry for my bad english !

Last edited:
Stock ratings for that are:

210 Hp
315 ft-lbs of Torque
17-24 Mpg

Tilt refers to the a tiltable steering wheel. Premium sound might include the subwoofer, from what I understand its not a bad sounding setup (mine had been gutted long before I got the car).

2000 can$ is about 1500US and I've heard of worse sounding cars going for that. Doesnt sound too bad if it runs good and isnt bad on the rust.

Thanks !
for gas its seams ok for me ...
I did some math and it leaks me to (always with my actual price for gas) :
20$ --> 295 km highway 25mpg
20$ --> 225 Km city 19mpg
19-25 where found in the faq section.

I saw 2 pic of the car and i could not see any rust on it so it can't be a lot ! well hope so !

It's been about a month that the car was for sell with a price of 3000$ CAN but today i just saw it at 2000$ !
I think its a great deal.

Now lets just hope that it'll be a std tranny ! otherwise that don't really bother me but ...

Attachments

• pac1767455.jpg
    pac1767455.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 361
since I dont think we can attach more the one pic at the time, here is the second one :

Attachments

• pac1575205.jpg
    pac1575205.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 377
More than likely it'd be an auto (only like 1200 manuals made for 92) If your pretty mechanically inclined swapping trans is doable... might have to see if that parts car has a manual trans ;).
I had to have a manual too, now if only I could get my 35th together and drive it hehe, work in progress...

Looks clean on the outside and thats the only thing the ad mentioned (a little rust...). Looks like a solid car and a decent price.

I've read something about running SC car with (dont remember how to say that) gas with more octane then "ordinary gas" is that a must ? or is it just for performance ?
I mean can it "harm" or break something on the long run ?

Well what is sure is that I'll be going to see the car soon !
And I don't really care for the tranny ! even thought I Know I'm able to swap it if needed but I would surelly keep it like it is !
Well you got that much power you dont realy need a std tranny ! not like if you drive a low hp 4 cyl car !

Now if the car is really what it looks like I gota prepare my boss for this ... I'm a car seller for mazda ... :rolleyes: :confused:

Attachments

• mazda.jpg
    mazda.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 346
Yes the sc has to run 91 octane or better fuel, with the supercharger you have a pretty high effective compression ratio, lower octane fuels can cause some problems because of that.

Ford owns part of mazda anyway, they shouldnt have too much to say ;) haha

yeah I've also heard that the 5spd tranny of these SC is made by mazda ...

ford and mazda is almos the same these day anyway ... up to now Focus and protege where running the same egine
and escape and tribute are the same SUV. What say about ranger and b4000 ! under a b4000 hood I think you can count about 30 times the word "motorcraft"
mpv as the same engine then tribute/escape
only mazda 6 and mazda 3 are real mazda car (there is the rx-8 and miata too but we dont sell a lot ;))

Yeah, I think ford only owns like half of mazda but they might as well own the whole company. The trans is a mazda, an M5R2 modified version of the one they used in the 90s F-series trucks (helped a friend change a clutch in a 95 F-150 the case is pretty similar).

well now gas now look like this
20$ --> 266 km highway 25mpg
20$ --> 202 Km city 19mpg
I guess its ok ... since anyway it wont be my only car.
I'll soon have a mazda 3 as demo anyway ...
wich does about and avg of 35-36 mpg ! (44-31)

btw another question assuming it might be a auto tranny will it be mounted on the floor or on the steering ?

glad to hear !!
well think thats all for now ...
Thanks again !
would also like to hear from others (if you got somethin to say !)

I called the guy today. It eneded up to be quite what was written in the ad. But there two small thing that need attention : 1st there is the upper suspension table of one of the front wheel that would need "repair". 2nd the blower of the air control (dont know how to say that) is not blowing, he sais that we can feel the heat or "frost" but the fan does not spin.

For the fan I think it's ok since I can surelly get the one of its spare SC (for pieces) but I'm wondering how much it could cost to "fix" that upper table thing. (or if I could do it myselft)
Any idea if its a cheap fix or not ?
He claim that it is ... but we can't always trust seller ;)

Anyway I'll be going to see the car this weekend ...

btw its an auto tranny ...

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean by suspension table?? The blower motor probably isnt a hard fix, make sure you chek all the fuses (I think theres one under the hood for it. Could also be the resistor coils for the motor, theres a diode in there that could have blown (happened with my car, but we were playing with the wiring trying to figure out my blower motor...). Find out a bit more about what he's talking about and I'll see what I can tell ya about the suspension :p

by what the guy told me I assume that it must have something to do with where the upper part of the suspension are "attached" (did I mention that english is not my primary language ;)) but i dont really see what could be broken up there ...
Perhaps it's possible to weld something to repare it (since i got what it takes). And he told me that it was not urging to repair "that"

Anyway I do work late everyday and I can't go to see it before weekend. So I'll have to wait to see it.

And the blower doesnt really bother me I know its not a hard fix !

I gave a call to my local ford dealer and ask him more info about that upper table thing. It is indeed what I thought it was: its what "hold" the uper part of the suspension (I've been told that its like in racing car). But it almost never "break" and prolly mean that the car either was involved in a "crash" or was rought driven or it may also be only about bad luck.
The piece cost 150 $

I've also seen another SC 92 a black one.
Description there : http://babelfish.altavista.com/babe...p://pages.infinit.net/sphinx/&lp=fr_en&tt=url
It being traduced by altavista translator so expect some mistake!

Seems a better deal to me even if the price is higher.

plz Tell me what you Think !

xizor

that one doesnt look too bad either. I wouldnt be too quick to believe the ford dealers personally, a second opinion may be a good idea. This one seems like it'd be worth the price though. Either way sounds like a decent deal.

yeah its a balljoint. But that an easy fix

I also have another option
for 4500
a 92 sc same as the 1st one
with some mod 245hp/345lt
and cosmetic mod too

shoowroom condition (that what the guy claims)

gotta consider thsi one too

since its not the price that matter the most.

balljoint failures are very common problems in these cars. I have replaced balljoints on every tbird i've had.

Very easy, just buy a new control arm and bolt it on in your driveway.

I wouldn't buy a modified sc in most cases they are beat on. The only exception would be a very clean car with everything done right.

JH

Back