Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacement Radiators

Replacement Radiators

I'm looking at the auto parts store style, not one of the fancy griffin style radiators. Can't afford to put a ton into the car this close to christmas.

My SC has a leak somewhere, and I'm pulling it and plan to take it to be tested tomorrow. Can't determine whether it's the lower plastic tank, or a core, or what. It's leaking in the lower passenger area, but it's not the petc*ck. If it's the core or somewhere they can repair, I'll repair it and maybe hold off for one of the higher dollar solutions later.

The local auto parts stores show 2 possible radiators, and the only differentiation is with or without bracket, and the stores don't know what the bracket is or does. I don't know if maybe it's because the earlier years mounted straight to the core support, and the 94 and up have the rubber "floaters" the whole radiator rides in, or something else..

The one without bracket is in the $175 range, with bracket is $275 at AutoZone, $215 at Advance Auto parts.

Any idea what the bracket does, and if I need it? I own a 95 SC Auto.

Thanks!

--john

The bracket they are reffering to is for the rubber IC boot and is the SC radiator. The one they are showing without the bracket is for the reg NA 3.8 TBirds and will not work on the SC.
    Hope this helps you.

Thanks Mike. It appears to be rather straightforward to pull the radiator out of this thing with just hand tools, anything to watch out for when I remove it?

Also, both places are selling the same radiators, and I was mistaken, it's a radiator for the lower price, and then listed as "without bracket" for about 50 bucks more

With the bracket is P/N 432400, which is the same P/N as a regular v6 T-bird, the one listed as "without bracket" is P/N 432613, and that # doesn't appear when you search for a regular V6 bird radiator, which leads me to believe the 432613 is the correct SC radiator.. autozone and advance swear that both radiators will fit the car and work correctly....

No not really, its one of the easier jobs to do on this car.
    Just remove the 2 bolts on top of the IC that holds it to the rubber boot, then push the boot straight down to disengage the bottom clips from the IC. Drain your coolant remove the 2 tranny lines from the bottom tank if your car is an automatic and the 2 rad hoses. Now remove the 2 bolts that hold the rad to the rad support and lift it out. Be carefull as you lift it out and make sure the rubber IC boot does'nt hang up on things while coming out.
    Make sure they get you a rad for an auto tranny if thats what yours is because theres a tranny cooler built into the lower tank that is not on the 5 speed model.

Appreciate all the advice. I'm finding all kinds of conflicting stuff on the WWW re: this. Some are saying $400 is the correct price for the radiator for the SC, while the local auto parts stores are quoting in the $200 range. Does $215 sound too low?

Originally posted by johnwartjr
    Also, both places are selling the same radiators, and I was mistaken, it's a radiator for the lower price, and then listed as "without bracket" for about 50 bucks more

With the bracket is P/N 432400, which is the same P/N as a regular v6 T-bird, the one listed as "without bracket" is P/N 432613, and that # doesn't appear when you search for a regular V6 bird radiator, which leads me to believe the 432613 is the correct SC radiator.. autozone and advance swear that both radiators will fit the car and work correctly....
    Yeah theres something screwy with there book. All of the thin stock replacement rads I've seen for the SC cost right around $300. Theres really only 2 different rads for the SC. One for auto tranny and one for 5 speed. I dont know of any that are offered without the bracket for the SC and I've done a mountain of research on the subject. I build custom rads for the SC.

Originally posted by johnwartjr
    Appreciate all the advice. I'm finding all kinds of conflicting stuff on the WWW re: this. Some are saying $400 is the correct price for the radiator for the SC, while the local auto parts stores are quoting in the $200 range. Does $215 sound too low?
    Yes that's too low, I bet thats a NA TBird rad. Since you dont want to pop for an Aluminum rad try www.radiatorexpress.com
    some of the guy's have bought there rads from them and have been very happy with them.

Well John I just went to there site and even they are listing it without the brackets now for $169.00. Maybe you can remove the bracket from the 95 model and install them on the new rad core, I dont know thats a new one on me.
    I know just a month ago they were listing it for $279.00 with the brackets and there was no option to get it without them.
    Now you have my curiosity up.

well, my biggest hope is this is something the rad shop can patch to get me through the holidays, as I'd like to have one of the aluminum radiators, but don't have the $$ to buy one so close to the holidays.

If I have to buy one, the $169 where you move the bracket doesn't sound too bad, but I'm prepared to spend a bit more if I have to.

I'll post back with more information as soon as I have some

Good luck John. I hope you get things worked out.

A couple years ago I was searching for a new radiator and came across what was to me at the time a fairly suprising solution. I simply went to the local radiator shop and had them look up the car. The peticular one I went to found a radiator by CSF, cooling systems & flexibles. It had metal tanks & a lifetime warranty, for about 150 dollars. It did not include the bracket to support your intercooler boot, but you have that already.

They have a website, but it is not consumer oriented. Check out your local radiator shop & see what they can come up with! Much better than buying another plastic one from Ford for $400.00.

Good luck

Originally posted by cougarsc
    Here are a couple new ones on Ebay $139

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2445016531

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2445433068

Thanks, will 89-93 fit my 95?

Maybe the best thing to do would be call Radiator Express and ask them about the rad because at that price it has to be the one without the frame.
    The only difference I've run into between the 89-93 and the 94-95 is the drivers side mounting hole is 3/4" closer to the drivers side fender than on the 89-93.
    The other difference is the overflow nipple on the fillerneck is pointed towards the driver side fender on the 94-95 and its pointed to the pass fender on the 89-93 model.
    If you can reuse your bracket it should work.
    I make the brackets to fit all years on my rads so you can put them in any model SC.