We have had two new Dis mudules that were bad in s

victor malvar

We have had two new Dis modules that were bad!

I have been working on my son's SC for about 2 years. I have bought 3 dis modules. I paid $275.00 when they started making them after the DIS drought.The new ones were not working very well. The engine would start on the second or third crank.(It was an aftermarket DIS) I checked the starter to make sure that wasn't the problem. I was pulling my hair trying to find out what the problem was.About a year and a half later, after lots of testing and checking many possibilities. I decided to put the old Motorcraft DIS back on the car. "check engine " codes. It was the EGR problem again... If you are having these DIS problems,try your DIS on another SC or have yours tested. If it dosent work right, get a refund or get them to send you another one. There are lots on ebay selling for peanuts. I have to retun another one to my supplier. Hope I was of help for anyone having similar problems. We now carry the Motorcraft DIS modules if anyone should need one. The Motorcraft has increased in price....outrageously! For all affected by Hurricane Frances, your in our thoughts and make sure you PREPARE!! We may also be affected ....God only knows where this monster is going. God Bless you ALL!
Victor and Diane
www.spinningwheels-sc.com

Last edited:
Bad dis

Vic, did you put heat sink on the bottom of the module, did you have the dealership or the parts store test the module to see if it was defective?
That silicone thing might not be wise, these modules do generate
heat and the engine bay gets very hot.
I'll assume that you checked coil pack,cam sensor and crank sensor.
Hope this helps.

BTW I also purchased my dis module from a dealership following the drought and its working fine.

Last edited:
lots of things can cause the dis to go bad. not being grounded properly, not using heat sink, bad plug wires (too much resistance) are three that come to mind and i'm sure there are other things as well. The tach not working sounds like Cam sensor, not DIS module. i dont know if a bad cam sensor can take out a DIS module but that's another possibility. Also buy a decent quality module, like Echlin, Neihoff, Borg Warner, etc.......dont' buy Wells or some other cheap crap like that.

Back