View Poll Results: How many could realistically afford a turbo?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • I could afford one and would buy one if possible

11 18.03%
  • Could afford one but don't want to go that route

26 42.62%
  • Can't afford but would buy one if I could

15 24.59%
  • Can't afford but wouldn't buy one anyway

9 14.75%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many of us could realistically afford a turbo

How many of us could realistically afford a turbo

There has been a debate about turbos vs. superchargers, which one is better, which one offers more bang for the buck. The debate is also on about which route would lead to the 11's, for example, cheapest. Well the way I see it, our cars come with the M90. So to go with the turbo that puts any owner in a 4,600.00 hole right at the start. Now, granted the turbo setup comes with a fuel pump, bigger injectors, and other things, so we'll just call it a 4,000.00 hole. Now, if you took a stock SC, and put on a turbo setup how fast would it be(estimation)? What about if you put 4,000.00 into a stock SC and kept the M90, how fast would that be?

BTW, I have to agree with MannySC, I frown on the whole turbo movement, the supercharged 3.8 is what makes an SC an SC. Not some ground effects and suspension, although those are a small part. The standard t-birds had IRS also so that's not a factor. Anyway, to each his own.

Shi-ka-ka...cant afford one, but would buy one if i could....

You know if you had fab skills you could cut that $4,000 kit down to about $1,000 to have a turbo on your SC. I really dont understand all the reluctance to use a turbo. I've in the past owned several turbo cars and was very pleased with them. A turbo is no more expensive to run than a blower.
    I still to this day have 2 turbo cars and the SC and I like both.

Mike is right, you could fab a turbo setup for about $1000-1500 counting in a good intercooler. The main kicker on our SC/XR7's is figuring out where to put the turbo and route all the piping, both intake and exhaust. I already said plenty of times, if my bottom end doesn't like this setup, and decides to spin a bearing, or somethin else requiring me to do an overhaul, then turbo I go.

Talking I have been toying with this...

This is something that I have been playing with for some time now.. On one of my big blocks it would make it a lot harder to see something has been done to the car... We have been talking about doing this on the 6?? inch car, but it will have to be a twin to feed that bad boy....
    Now as far as doing a 3.8, keep in mind that ALL the inercoolling tubes will be moved to the front of the car. This will open up a LOT of room to do a tubro.... Those of us that saw the twin tubro 03 Cobra at the shoot out will remember how much space was left on that car... I see no trouble mounting it on a 3.8 and still keeping all the goodies, like air and such...
    Doing it on something other than a 3.8 should not be too much trouble either... There is a lot of room in these engine bays to play around....Just my $0.02 worth here.....Rich
    Too many cars,too little time to drive them. Anything less than 500 cubes is a small block. If you slow down in life you will get run over..

Well, in a nutshell, here's a go on my visionary turbo setup. Use a set up tbird88's ported and opened manifolds. Reverse them so they exit via the front. Make some custom downtubes that flow around to the front of the engine. Mount the turbo in the front of the crank pulley, shoot the ic tubes around the front to a fmic, and back and up to the MP throttle body, mounted via a custom elbow for the lowrise manifold. Route the 3in exhaust down the pass side, and split it into dual 2.5 in all the way out. Throw in a BOV, and a boost controller, and voila, turbo coupe via mn12. It does sound easier in writing than it would in real life.

If I was going to blow four grand on the car, it wouldn't be for a turbo. If I'm going to junk the M-90 and make it a "non factory engined" type car, forget the turbo, I'm getting 8 cylinders. For four grand you could get a blown 5.0, or a 383 stroker, or a big block, there are many options...

Oh I agree with you Rob. I think Pro Street Rich has the right idea, twin turbo'ed Big Block!

My turbo cost me around 1800 alone....SO I figure a smaller used turbo and used IC and self fabbed pipes..Yah you might be able to hit 1500..Then when you realize there is no way in hell your stock EEC is going to handle it..You drop a few more K on a stand alone DFI setup..And hope you can get it running right...You guys can do this project
    They don't call me "SLOWPOKE" for nothin!
    http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage_v...vehicle&id=110
    Quote Originally Posted by ricardoa1 View Post
    I love the filter. Its pimp. paper element and 10Mircron filtration, 12" long cause size matters.

I could not afford a turbo kit.But I would not have any problem in fabing
    a system up.I allready have all the parts to do this but some rubber hose
    to connect the IC tubing.It can be done for less than $500.00 if you have
    the turbo or turbos.I have two turbos.But before I would try one or two
    turbo set up.I would try a turbo to boost the supercharger first.With about
    6 or 7 pounds of boost.

You donot need to go out and buy new turbos,ones from the junk yard
    would be just fine.Bearings are not that costly to just rebuild a turbo $10.00.

randy

I guess this $4000 number is assuming you already have $7000 in your ling block to handle the power? I am with Damon on the additional $2-3K plus on a DFI or other stlye piggyback computer.
    Buying one and fabing it up is only 20% of the work and cost involved.

V6 mustangs buy ALL the parts they need from me to put a SC on there cars fro $600. Do you think that is all it is going to cost?

The SC engine is already built for forced induction. You dont have to do anything to the block or engine for it to safely use a turbo.
    Anything that is presently being done to SC motors for use with the blower are the same things that are done for using a turbo.
    The latest threads about turbocharging prove the lack of understanding at this site about turbo's.
    Alot of the info I've read in these threads is very old info about turbo's and not true of the turbo's from the last 5-10 years.

Anything that is presently being done to SC motors for use with the blower are the same things that are done for using a turbo
    And that is spending $7000 on a long block! Even the few that are getting Big HP #'s with the shock short block have $3000 in heads and cam.

Mike are you saying you can take a stock SC and put twin turbos on it and run 11's with out anything else? If so I have one that I would like to have done.
    Why are we having this conversation on 10 different threads?

Talking Gary I have a confession to make....

Originally posted by kuhnga
    Why are we having this conversation on 10 different threads?

It's my fault Dude! I am a guilty, red, dirty-bird!

Frank

After owning other turbo charged Fords.A nd working on them.
    They are set up much the same as far as sensors and ect.

AND MIKE IS RIGHT AS HE USUALLY IS.

RANDY