mean man at firestone wouldnt sell me tires

94thundachicken

I was so pissed leaving Firestone today. I went there looking for a snow tire, and got nothing but an earful about how my car needs to be changed. The guy was insistant bc he worked for Ford that he knows everything about a SC. First he's agrueing with me about the damn tire size, telling me that I need to put the OEM rims back on the car b4 they'll sell me tires. I HAVE OEM SC RIMS. But according to this guy Ford didn't make a 16 inch rim for the thunderbird, and especially not an SC bc its BIGGER than an LX. I wanted to choke this guy. Than he gets into how I need to spend $1100 on putting the car back to a OEM suspension b/c it slowered an inch. B/C he worked at Ford he knows that these cars can't be lowered b/c they come stock lowered and they dont function right if you do (ie. the car will never have a correct alignment, it will kill every set of tires I'll ever put on). So I'm like **** this and talk to some one else. So the guy comes over as I'm talking to another salesman and tells him that I return with the OEM rim (at 15 inches acording to him) and until then they won't sell me a ****** tire. So now im really getting pissed, and I just want to know how much a set of tires will cost. So again I'm talking to the other salesman and he asks me the size tire I'm looking for. I tell him 225 60 16. So the other ***** comes back and says "no you can put that on the car. If you are gunna insist on using the NON OEM 16 inch rims (bc a gain Ford didnt k=make a OEM 16 inch rim for the SC), you have to use 255 55 16, it mush smaller than the 225 60 16." I tell him I have that size on right now and it rubs. So he's like, "well like I said b4, if you want new tires you are gunna have to get the suspension changed." I just walked out at that point wanting to kill this ****** guy. But I thought I'd let all of you know that we have all been scammed. Our 16 inch SC rims are NOT OEM and no one has an original car. Because this guy knows what he's talking about bc he USED to work for Ford. Well now I know why he went from a Ford mechanic to a tire salesman at Firestone.

LMAO!
What a moron! You run into people like that all the time. They think that because they sell tires, aut parts, change oil or whatever that they automatically know everything about every car evey made. (Not all are like that, I know we have some here that are knowledgeable) That guy is obviously a dumb a$$. Doesn't the stock tire size show on the sticker? Should have pointed that out to him, or shown him the manual.

I'm tellin you guys, no one knows WTF a Supercoupe is. You should pop the hood and say Holy crap! Someone stole my V8 and dropped in a V6 with a paper shredder on top! Please say what the shop is so we can look up an email address. :D

Methinks it's time for a letter writing campaign. Just inundate the place with letters and tech materials about the SC.

I absolutely hate firestone myself-the last time visited one they hoisted my car with the hoist pads under the pinchwelds at the rocker, rather than the points at the subframe. Ended up punching holes through the rockers, then tried to give exciuses like-"we used the proper jack points", "the car was rusted and would have punched through anyway", blah, blah, blah.

At the hearing, the tech and the inspector from Firestone showed the court that they "used the proper jacking points", i.e. the points where you place the emergency jack to change a tire-only problem was that the inspector's pictures, and the pictures I took during a visit three days later to the local Ford body shop show the holes being locate 4" to the front and rear of the proper emergency jack points. I then took my turn, and produced a diagram from Ford-showing the proper hoist points for the Thunderbird/Cougar/Lincoln.

The verdict? The judge ruled in my favor-and added another $5,000 to the original repair estimate because "In my opinion, you have done a great disservice to this car owner by damaging his car and then covering it up by stating that you used proper techniques to lift the vehicle. For a company that prides itself on a long association with Ford Motor Company, you have a woeful lack of knowledge about Ford Products."

I received a check from Firestone in the amount of $11,543.66-the Store manager and the tech that worked on my car are no longer employed by Firestone.

Last edited:
yea birdman that is an excellent story, hey 94thunderchicken, did you ever get tires, i really dont see why he couldnt sell them to you, what a dick.

Funny. I own a '90 SC that was a Ford factory presentation to Nick Firestone. It has 16" wheels as well. I wonder if he knew that Ford gave him a "Modified" car?

I would have been asking for the manager at that point... I never really dealt with Firestone but from what I've heard from a friend, his aunt got suckered like that, went in for some sort of brake job and ended up with another 400$ of parts she didnt even need.

I either deal with the local tire store (where they know my name) or walmart (where they dont "know" better).

I'm wondering who makes those aftermarket 16" with a thunderbird emblem on em.... I just don't know about some people....

That sounds like the time I went to go get brakes for my SC and the guy at the parts store insisted the i had rear drum brakes, and the reason for him thinking like this, is a line that will forever stay in my mind, which was "Some Mustang GT's don't even have four wheel disc why would they have it on a car that doesn't performe like a Mustang" At that point i just laughed at him and walked out, but i understand your frustration people don't understand SC's are not "Just a Thunderbird"

Easy solution ... open the passenger door, and point out the tire size information label to the misinformed sales rep., that clearly shows 225-60-16 as the correct size for the car.

cheers
Ed N.

fast Ed N said:
Easy solution ... open the passenger door, and point out the tire size information label to the misinformed sales rep., that clearly shows 225-60-16 as the correct size for the car.

cheers
Ed N.

hehe I did that to a tow truck driver... he opened up the door and looked at the wrong side and said that the tire size wasn't stock... So I told the dumbass to come to the other side where I opened the door and pointed to the right sticker. And since it was a slow leak I just told him to fill the tire up and I'll drive it to the nearest store thank you.

had another try and tell me my stock height sc was lowered "but you don't know what the previous owner did to it". hmmm lets see... having owned 3 sc's and been around a ton of others you kinda know when ones lowered and when one isn't. And when I insisted on dolly's he said it'd be extra because it doesn't require them. :mad: I said oh really? And pulled out the owners manual. The parts guys at the dealership I work at are always sending people with sc's to my desk and also a few people that run into people with them that are having problems do too...

it like the stealership here in the springs told me that my cougar never came supercharged. needless to say, i will never go back there again.

[/end]

That's what makes our sc's unique. The unknowing love to argue, and it makes us feel even more powerful when we shove the truth in their face. I often respond to those who say "they never came in stick" or "supercharged?", by offering to take them for a ride of their life, or offer to beat the beefiest looking car within eyesight distance. That usually gets their attention, if not, I walk out, flippin the bird.

almost everyone swear the sc have v8 when i tell them its a v6 they says they have a friend with the v8 sc :S

one i was in a muffler shop and this guy kept telling me a friend had one just like mine but v8 then i told him lets go with your friend , we went and opened the hood and behold a supecharged ford 3.8l V6 :p .

I haven't a clue why it is that some repair/parts store types always want to try and show what it is that they don't know.

Anyway, IMO once a sales type starts with that "I can't sell you..." garbage just turn and leave without a word. It usually means he's about to try and rip you off and arguing about it is like wrestling a pig in the mud.

94Thunderchicken go to www.tirerack.com and order a set of Bridgestone Blizzacks, they are by far the best winter tire I have ever used. They are amazing, put them on all four corners and you will be able to stop and go just like you were on pavement.

haha reminds me of when i finally got the 16' sc rims for my car (the previous dumbass owner traded them for a pair of 15' 96 lx wheels) and went to wallmart and tried to get tires for them, they kept giving me the "we dont put aftermarket wheels on cars" and i had to explain to them that the rims on there right now were base model rims and the wrong size and that the wheels in the backseat were STOCK..... they finally agreed to put them on and just made me sign a paper stating i had put a non stock size wheel and tire on my car :rolleyes:

another good one, not tire related but funny, i was talking with this guy after class one night when i was in college and we got to talking about fords because he had a local dealership jacket on, so i start talkin to him, he's a tech at the dealership that changed my DIS module (the one and only time i ever took my car to ford for anything other than a recall, this was during dis shortage 2000)

anyway this guy asks me what year my car is, i said 1993, he goes "oh so it was supercharged?" im like "yeah, all supercoupes were" and he goes "no they werent, some had turbos"

ok so i figure he just is getting the SC and TC confused, its an honest mistake, BUT......

he goes on to say "yeah in 1989 ford dropped the turbo 4 cylinder for a turbo 6, called it the supercoupe....but the supercoupe didnt actually get a supercharged v6 until 1991"

at this point i decided not to argue with him and just walked away......what a moron:rolleyes:

pdennis93 said:
haha reminds me of when i finally got the 16' sc rims for my car (the previous dumbass owner traded them for a pair of 15' 96 lx wheels) and went to wallmart and tried to get tires for them, they kept giving me the "we dont put aftermarket wheels on cars" and i had to explain to them that the rims on there right now were base model rims and the wrong size and that the wheels in the backseat were STOCK..... they finally agreed to put them on and just made me sign a paper stating i had put a non stock size wheel and tire on my car :rolleyes:

another good one, not tire related but funny, i was talking with this guy after class one night when i was in college and we got to talking about fords because he had a local dealership jacket on, so i start talkin to him, he's a tech at the dealership that changed my DIS module (the one and only time i ever took my car to ford for anything other than a recall, this was during dis shortage 2000)

anyway this guy asks me what year my car is, i said 1993, he goes "oh so it was supercharged?" im like "yeah, all supercoupes were" and he goes "no they werent, some had turbos"

ok so i figure he just is getting the SC and TC confused, its an honest mistake, BUT......

he goes on to say "yeah in 1989 ford dropped the turbo 4 cylinder for a turbo 6, called it the supercoupe....but the supercoupe didnt actually get a supercharged v6 until 1991"

at this point i decided not to argue with him and just walked away......what a moron:rolleyes:

From my understanding what he is confused about it is that the 87 and 88 TC was supposed to be a SC but Ford screwed the motor up so bad, having even worse HG problems then currently with our cars, they decided to just drop the Mustang SVO engine in it.

1BADSC said:
94Thunderchicken go to www.tirerack.com and order a set of Bridgestone Blizzacks, they are by far the best winter tire I have ever used. They are amazing, put them on all four corners and you will be able to stop and go just like you were on pavement.

Thank you for the advise. would you recommend the LM-22 or the
ws-50?

actually i have seen that on coolcats, that ford was planning a 250hp turbo 6 to compete with the GN, but since buick nixed the GN in 87 ford decided not to do it. but the guy specifically said 89-90

Back