Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Turbo Vendor finally! WE STRUCK A DEAL FOR THE SC

Thumbs up Turbo Vendor finally! WE STRUCK A DEAL FOR THE SC

Guys!
    I know that the masses of you are sick of all the turbo treads, but believe me this one is different. I finally got a one hour telephone call from Mr. Tom Berry from Turbocharged power in Roswell New Mexico.
    I have officially agreed to ship my Supercoupe to New Mexico to have a turbo kit fabricated for our cars. My car will be the "test-mule" and I will finance this project. (4-5K) I will sacrifice paying this amount of money being that this will result in the "turbo option" for all of us that are interested in a tested and proven system.
    The entire kit will be made at the factory and will be available to you guys by next summer. The kit will include everything from A thru Z.
    There will also be a entire new computer in the works to deal with the new setup. The baseline kit will be based on a "stock" SC engine so that all can benifit. He also mentioned that there will be upgrades available to those with beefed up short blocks with better heads and cam that will provide upwards of 600HP.

A new intake manifold is likely, but we discussed the possibilities of using an intake from a non-supercharged 3.8.
    HP figures will be targeted at all the stock SC can handle. I told Tim about our forged crank, but I also admitted that head gaskets are a definate issue for stock engines too. I checked out their website and it is AWESOME http://www.turbochargedpower.com/

They have kits for many cars including, Corvette, 03Cobra's, Grand Am, Firebirds, ect, ect....

Tom says that his son actually owned a Supercoupe years ago, and this was especially interesting to them now that they are in the Turbo business. I will be calling him back on Tuesday to discuss the shipment of my Supercoupe. The turnaround time on the car should be three months or so. They cannot start on this project until the end of February.

Tom has asked me to see how many of you guys would be interested in the kit?
    Last edited by dirtybird91; 12-14-2003 at 11:38 PM.

Dirtybird91

I don't mean to be such a negative creep. WHY? would you want a turbo. Just get a bigger superchager. The best part of the SC is the low end torque that is provided by the eaton M-90. A turbo charger will help your high end hence a higher top speed. Honestly nobody needs to go 200mph on the street , you are going to be way past the 1/8 mile and through the 1/4 before you will even feel the effects of the turbo. Lots of imports use tubro to achieve a faster top speed. SO WHAT you have got a car with a turbo that on a dyno produces 500 hp but only 120 pounds of torque . I would rather have less hp and more torque. Leave the the turbos for the misinformed import crowd and the semi tractor trailors. Speaking from experience I will take a supercharger over turbo anyday. Sure turbos look cool but they just arn't that effective unless you are rolling down the autobahn doing 150 + MPH. The top speed for the super coupe is 140 mph .

Re: Turbo Vendor finally! WE STRUCK A DEAL FOR THE SC

Originally posted by dirtybird91
    Guys!
    A new intake manifold is likely, but we discussed the possibilities of using an intake from a non-supercharged 3.8.
    what, you mean no SC and turbo at the same time?

excellent!!!

btw stocker89:

no turbo arent for top speed , and no they dont work with speeds they work whit RPM's you know that thing your engine does when its running.

Thats good news Frank! Something good did come out of that 9 page malay then did'nt it?
    You will be in good hands with those fella's.
    Good luck to you and keep it between the lines!

Re: Dirtybird91

Originally posted by stocker 89
    I would rather have less hp and more torque. Leave the the turbos for the misinformed import crowd and the semi tractor
    Uhhh. Thats actually the misinformation my friend. Forced induction is a good thing no matter what and turbos are not gonna give you horrible torque, that makes no sense. psi is psi the main variable is adiabatic heat and velocity. And anyone who KNOWS about forced induction will tell you the adiabatic heat on a supercharger (especially our heat pump blowers!) is MUCH higher than most well tuned turbo setups, and as we all know high charge temps rob horse power...oh yeah and torque! your right a turbo wont give you that off the line jolt that a SC gives but it will give you a better temp to your charge and it parasites only about 40 hp less. Well maybe Im wrong but hey I had a 330hp rx-7 (1.3 ltr) and thats an import .

What turbospeed

I think you better check into the facts. You have to be going 40 mph before they even start to work. A N/A big block will kick a turbos *** of the line and in the 1/8 and the 1/4 mile. A turbo does work with RPMs high rpms that is they are best served from the 80+ mph range to achieve fast top speed the more hp you have the faster top speed you will have.... hey believe whatever you want to believe.

Re: What turbospeed

Originally posted by stocker 89
    I think you better check into the facts. You have to be going 40 mph before they even start to work. hey believe whatever you want to believe.
    dude have you driven a turbo car cuz thats 40mph turbo lag must be one pie plate sized turbo!!! thats not true just ask my new wrx.

What up lessonintorque.

Yeah I drove turbo cars and I think they are slower than superchargers.... There must be a reason ford only made the Turbo coupe what for two years and it failed .Ford keeps on making supercharged cars to this day.... You think your WRX is great just imagine how much better it could of been with a supercharger.. I geuss it wouldn't been cost effective on a four wheel drive . So last time I checked into turbos I saw that the motor has to be creating exhaust gasses the more exhast that is being produced the faster the turbo spins. Has somthing changed since then? A super charger will produce peak power from the get go.

Thumbs up Re: Re: Turbo Vendor finally! WE STRUCK A DEAL FOR THE SC

Originally posted by 8ate8
    what, you mean no SC and turbo at the same time?
    Hello 8ate8.
    I was discussing the deletion of the SC with the replacement of a turbo. I know it's not going to fly with some unless they see it work out for themselves. Everybody wants to be a part of the problem these days. Ricers have more heart than some of these guys! I appreciate everyone who realizes that I am trying something new in a quest to push our package further.

Frank

I'll be interested in checking out the turbo kit when it is done... on the misinformation bandwagon-

Ford produced the Turbo Coupe from 1983(?) or 1984-1988, the 1987-88 models were intercooled and turbo charged.

Ford also produced the Merkur XR4ti with basically the same 2.3 l turbo setup as the thunderbird.

Ford also produced the Mustang SVO, also with the 2.3l turbo 4 setup in an effort to compete with the "feel" of the European cars... but Americans tend to be fonder of displacement than finesse...

Currently Ford uses a turbocharger in the Volvo 5 cylinder

89stocker

man do you even own a car , you dont have any idea fisrt you were doing non sense comments on the crank posts , then now you come and tell us how turbos dont work until 40mph.

seriously do you have any idea what turbo is? maybe your ricers friend have a t4 in a civic that can be spooled until 7k,

yes youre rigth the engine has to be making exhaust gases wich ALWAYS does , and thats the beauty of the turbo the faster it spins the more exhuast gases you get so it spins faster

also do you think the supercharger spins for free? it takes power from the crank to do so. a good 40-50hp.

ever wonder why f1 and rally uses turbo ,,, maybe because a supercharger is more effective , and they dont want to go too fast

also who said superchargers produce PEAK power from idle.? they must rev like anything else. they do produce power from idle but not PEAK power.

and the turbo coupes ran from 1983 to 1988
    Last edited by turbospeed; 12-14-2003 at 10:14 PM.

Originally posted by plev72
    I'll be interested in checking out the turbo kit when it is done... on the misinformation bandwagon-

Ford produced the Turbo Coupe from 1983(?) or 1984-1988, the 1987-88 models were intercooled and turbo charged.

Ford also produced the Merkur XR4ti with basically the same 2.3 l turbo setup as the thunderbird.

Ford also produced the Mustang SVO, also with the 2.3l turbo 4 setup in an effort to compete with the "feel" of the European cars... but Americans tend to be fonder of displacement than finesse...

Currently Ford uses a turbocharger in the Volvo 5 cylinder
    Not to mention that ford started turbocharging cars back in 1979 when I owned the MUSTANG 4cyl OFFICIAL PACE CAR REPLICA. They were pretty slow, but so was turbo technology back then.

I wonder if the NAY sayers will still be around if there is a damn turbo SC at the top of the list one day?
    I will shut the hell up until then!

Frank

Frank good luck .Now if you could keep the mindless boneheads off this thread.But I see you
    picked one up right off the bat.Any way good luck to ya,hope this project turns out the way you
    want it to.

RANDY
    Last edited by Randy N Connie; 12-14-2003 at 10:17 PM.

Talking LMAO!!!

Originally posted by Randy N Connie
    Frank good luck .Now if you could keep the mindless boneheads off this thread.But I see you
    picked one up right off the bat.

RANDY
    You are certainly right about that Randy! Maybe he will FART AND CLEAR OUT HIS MIND!

Frank