what kind of gas goes in this darn thing..?

i think it depends on what sea level your at which one works the best but i only use and recomend the highest grade you can get at the pump:D

I use 92.

But have also used 89 with ethanol. Didn't make any difference performance wise lets say like putting in cam 3 would . So before the SC nazis jump in here and freak . You should use premium fuel 91 or better.

you dont want any possibility of detonation under boost......that's why they requiere premium. I've run mine on mid grade in a pinch but didn't push it hard........it won't hurt to run cheap stuff on occasion if you have to , just dont run it hard.

DUH OPPS GEORGE WHICH WAY DID HE GO WHICH WAY DID HE GO?

i have driven the car a total of like umm 45 minutes... never noticed whats on the tach.. just keepin out of the red... chuckle chuckle i think i bought the wrong car.."premium only" gas is like ouch ... right now its not that bad.. 1.57 per gal thanks fellas

Personally i only run Sunoco 94 in my 94 SC. Its the highest rated fuel you can get b4 race. Used Mobile Premium for about 6 months when i got it and tried 94 Sunoco and never went back to anything else.

Jay

P.s. Yea i think you honestly did buy the wrong car. If your worried about $1.57 for gas. i pay $1.73 for my gas

Sunoco Ultra 94 is all my SC ever sees!

...And you guys can stop complaining about fuel prices right now!!! ...Have you seen the price of Ultra 94 up in Canada?! I've paid as much as $0.98 CDNPER LITRE!!!

Originally posted by SCBiscuit:

i think i bought the wrong car.."premium only" gas is like ouch

...Yes. If you're worried about the cost of fuel in that car, then you're definitely driving the wrong car.

Regards,

Sean

Well at least i know im not the only one payin for the most expensive gas u can get :D P.S. i could care less how much gas is as long as i have the money to get it hehe

Jay

I hope you have mechanical skills because you are going to need all of them and then some. The SC is about as unreliable as they come. You should take a look through the board and check out what the common problems are. This car is very expensive to work on and not very mechanic friendly. Just take a look at where your sparkplugs are.

Good luck

Jeff

Ultra 94 and 100 Octane

I have the pleasure of going to my Sunoco.

They sell Cam 2 100 octane "Thelma" gets her 4gal/100octane & Ultra 94 once a month fill up.

I always treat the lady right.

NJTBIRD89

Don't forget to tell the wife!

I let my wife drive my car a couple of times and once she did me a favor by putting gas in it. I noticed a short time later my car was running like crap; car was stalling at times and noticeable drop in performance level I asked my wife if she had any problems with it and she said no. Finally it dawned on me to ask her about the gas and DOH! She didn't know any better cause she rarely drives it w/out me in it. Forunately, she hadn't put much in it and I hadn't driven it hard.

Haha the guy I bought mine from had had no idea, he had filled it up with regular too! On one hand, he hadn't driven it hardly at all with the reg in there (good), on the other hand, that's because it had been sitting for 6 months (not so good).

Matt

It's kind of amusing to read these threads sometimes......I have always driven V8 powered american Iron gas hogs, so to me , the SC is very fuel efficient! I mean my bronco and my GMC both get about 10 mpg so the SC is an economy car by comparison--so i dont have a problem putting premium in her. As for the SC being unreliable, i have definitely not found that to be the case at all (but it is a pain in the neck to work on that's for sure! ) I think the 'unreliable' reputation comes from 2 sources.....Number one, the newest SC is now approaching 8 years old and the oldest ones are 15 years old....they are getting some MILES on them!.......Number 2, I'd wager that the average SC gets driven a lot harder than your average Taurus or Cavalier...... you can break any car if you beat on it hard enough! I guess i just have a different perspective on it all but i remember the days when a car that went 100,000 miles was considered a big deal!

I see your point, but since I also own American Gas hoggs as well I can tell you that I have had much less problems with other cars than this one. In fact my 300K mile 11 years owned, El Camino has given me less problems than my 136K SC that I have owned for less than 4 years. Granted I have had to work on both cars a lot, but which one is more reliable? The GM hands down. I don’t discriminate as I beat on all cars equally. I drove the Chevy for more than 6 years without so much as a problem, with 200K on it. It did have a “new” engine (installed in the late 80’s). Maybe you ford guys are used to crap but I am not.

Jeff

I highly reccommend nothing but 91-94 octane for your SC
and i found out the hard way !!
Driving along with 87octane in the tank and hmm ill use some
boost on the highway, did that, then cruisin off the off ramp
CRACCKKKKK , i cracked a piston from detonation and blew
the head gaskets with it. A rebuild and
a few thousand dollars later she is back on the road but never see's anything less then Sunoco 94 !! ehehhehe

Nick

(PS and this was on a stock car too, with mods please use 94!!)

I think this is the first question anyone has ever asked on the technical forum where the answer is actually WRITTEN inside the car in plain text view of the driver.

No offense.....of course. ;)

Back