Making a custom lower intake

whats up Wynn ya gonna mount a 8/71 to a 3.8 i mean everything is bigger in texas.

I am working on a m112 inverted on a all manny made lower intake all sheet alluminum as soon as I get my welder back I played with her knobs to much and had to send her out to have her knobs done.

also my die grinder died. so time to get a new one everything is going out at the same time for me damn harbor freight!! lol

home of disposable tools like the bic lighters of tools.

but I do now have a splitport 3.8 to do a mockup on got it free 30k on it

looks like I can make the sc and split ports out of the same basic flange just cut ports in diff places and bolt holes other than that i can use a manifold flange for the split port on both its just taller .

I should have a mockup done if a few weeks . I dont however see a way to fit a water to air ic in manifold valley.

I still think I will do the water to air. If it has to be water cooled, I would plumb it into the intercooler as it sits in the stock location.

Chris

the problem I had was the 3.8 is small and the ic units i found are all to long or to wide to fit some are tall so I made mine from a heater core works great so far, see my webshots inverted blower. with this ive seen air temps in the ambeint temps on a 104 day with water and small radiator to cool it with ice in tank ive seen manifold air temps in the 40 deg f range.at 15 lbs boost on a 104 deg f day.

The pictures on your links (above) are worth a 1000 words… thanks Manny!
I'm ready to start fabricating the intake and TB-to-Blower inlet on the inverted blower for my 3.8 Mustang. Because of the split-port heads, I have a slightly different lower intake to create, but I plan on mimicking much of what you have done.

Did you delete the EGR?
Does opening up the rear inlet of the blower make a noticeable improvement?
How’s the heater core holding up? (I’m afraid of leaks and was thinking of making one from scratch out of copper using stronger copper – your thoughts?)

Im not using the inverted setup right now but the heater core worked great its used to 16 lbs of hot water in my application it only see's 15-16 lbs of boost and the water is cold .

it does see 18-inches vac and 15 lbs boost within a few seconds but it seems to work great my sc does not have egr 92's did not have it .

the D port has made a big difference I see 11 lbs of boost at 2500 rpms and 14 lbs at 4500 rpms with a ported factory inlet plenum and a 70 mm tb

on the inverted I saw 15 lbs at 4000 rpms and with my lower pulley I seen 16 lbs but be warned inverted the blower makes boost faster and a tune is in order, i saw lower intake temps of 45 deg using iced water in water to air ic .

I made the inlet by cutting wedges out of 3" alluminum pipe and welding them together to make turns weld grind clean then do next then next then i ran a dingle berry hone thru it to smooth it all out . lol dingle berry hone :D

This is great information. I studied your pictures pretty closely and saw much of the detail you did. Great job! Why did you switch back from being inverted?

I had to smog my car so I put stock setup on .

I used a motor home rotory water pump it has a built in pressure reg but dont need it as water flows freely . I used a can I made that I mounted a tbird air cond under dash rad in and put ice in it and water it cools the water in the radiator down to ice temp . then back to ic unit. then back to tank .

I tried to make my own ic unit in the picture of lower manifold and ic unit but it had leaking problems .

the heater core worked best flows air better than the spearco unit I had .

I also had a small motorcycle radiator with fans on it that is hooked in with a bypass switch so i can run air temp water when not at track.

ill send you a drawing of how i had it set up.

In the pic it showed the front of the IC to be the inlet/outlet. Is that correct? Do you have pix of how you made the bends for the IC?

Also, have you ever thought about adding material to the deck of the heads? I know it would take about two days to weld up one head but I think that would be beneficial if you only added .08-.5" of material. Of course you would have to increase the intake length, but you appear to have a good Idea on how to do this.

Chris

yes inlet and out let are in front I used 1 inch rubber hose to connect and 3/4 inch pipe to route water I bended it in a tubing bender from harbor freight a $5 ITEM

Started milling the split-port lower intake this past weekend.
This picture shows it's progress and intended plan for the intercooler box to be welded on top.

Attachments

• intake-front-plan-sm.jpg
    intake-front-plan-sm.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 218
Back