Buying car stuff....need opinions please. LONG.

lazybird4pt6

Hey all!!! How was Christmas?? I'm sure everyone is safe and well?!?! Turkey and wine and everything's fine?
I'd like to ask everyone's advice/opinion on what I should buy next. A lot of hard work and patience has payed off this year and i'm finally in a position to get LB into serious shape. What i'm looking for is a purchase in the next couple of weeks.
A quick run-down is as follows....i'm FINALLY ordering my TwEECer. I'm quite certain i'll be going with the version that has Real Time Data-logging, something I feel is well worth the extra expense.
My PI heads will be going in sometime around spring, but with a twist. I'm gonna try the whole 'patience' thing and hold out until I can afford to get some serious heads.....something that's ported on the intake and exhaust ports with oversize SS valves and matching camshafts. Proven to be good for about 80 - 100 HP on the motor. Ironically enough this is the second car i've bought that has crappy heads and I don't want to pass up the oportunity to wait and go 'the whole hog'. I'm very certain these 'serious' heads will be going on the car, I just have to decide on which shop to go with.
That being said i'm sure most are thinking exhaust. To be quite honest i'm not (thinking exhaust). Yes, it will definetly help. Kooks is making a mid-length header for us 4.6 guys that I can purchase through Super Coupe Performance for $5xx+ US. Then I need the rest of it. I'd rather wait for the end of the year and just do it all at once (this is why I mention the heads).
This brings me to what I think would be a wise purchase. I'm interested in the G-Tech Pro Competition. I don't have to wait for the dyno (any of them) to become available or wait untill I have time to go to the track. Paul has kinda sold me on the idea (thanks!) and has more than proven it's accuracy. With all the tuning i'll need to be doing it will be cheaper ($400 CAN) than going to the track and/or dyno a bunch of times before I get it 'right', never mind time constraints.
There are a few other 4.6 parts out there, but none that I feel would really 'help' a great deal, especially because i'm getting the TwEECer. Yes, picking up 5HP here and 10 HP there is the idea, but at what cost?
One other thing i'm considering is C&L's new upper plenum. Affordable and worth a decent 'kick-in-the-pants', most of the time. For less than $300 CAN I can pick up between 8-14 RWHP (sound like a MAF upgrade).
Now, don't get me wrong here. I'm still going N2O. With the aforementioned heads, however, i'll be looking at a small shot....50 to 75 MAX. Untill I get the forged bottom end I can't afford more. The rods, and pistons especially, can't take more than that. This is something i'd rather wait for....even if it means not until '05. This is a $3500 (CAN) upgrade that can support 700+ HP. Hmmmmm, daily driver....i'll wait. Too risky and too much unused potential for the time being
Basically, I want to maximize my N/A performance to it's limit. After the TwEECer i've got about $700. The G-Tech and C&L plenum will help both now and after the PI upgrade and fall into this price range. With the C&L I will also have all on my induction-side upgrades complete.
I know it's not an SC, but most of the thoery still applies.
What do you guys think??? (please don't tell me to get a blower or a turbo....it simply won't happen).
Please and thanx in advance.

oki'llshutupnow

oopsnotyet

BTW - i'd like to take a moment to thank everyone for helping me this year. With everyone's help, in one way or another, i've really been able to demonstrate patience and planning, something i've been very un-accustomed to. Thank you, all.

oknowillshutupreally

Holy mackeral, I didn't realize how long that REALLY was untill I posted it! I gotta learn how to be more efficient with my grammar or something. Sorry.

Andrew sounds like you have a plan to get LB to be Fast Bird now looks like I will need to buy some more go fast parts or another SC:). I love it;)

Just to let you know there setting a GP up over on TCCOA for kooks.

see you sideways for sure

Andrew, did you get that link to an eBay auction I sent you, headers for a 4.6 Bird at around $200 US ?? No idea what the quality is like on them though.

cheers
Ed N.

Yes, I did, Ed. Thank you. A few guys that frequent E-Bay have sent me that same link. Seems as though SS Auto Chrome has these available every couple of months. I agree with your thought on quality. I've never heard of these guys and I wonder if they're stainless. Very tempting, indeed and definetly something to consider.

I'd think the Kooks would be better for the application, though.....and they look sooooooooo sweet.

Jason, thanks for the find, i'll check it out. {edit} Seems as though the Kooks group buy is a bust...only two or three guys interested and 'only' $40 US off regular price. Oh, well.

Last edited:
check out e-bay for the g-tech pro. I picked one up on e-bay for around $50 shipped brand new about a month ago.

Back