My new Christmas toys...

Gregthespy

Hello everyone,
well, it has been a pretty good Christmas this year and I hope that everyone had a good safe one with their famlies.
I recieved from my sister a infared curing lamp for powdercoat curing and a sandblaster from my brother-in-law so I will now be able to cure large parts that won't fit in a curing oven. I haven't yet gotten a propane tank to run it yet but once I do get some experience with it I'll be coating everything! I also got a sampler kit of diffrent powders which I have been wanting to experiment with and some high temp masking tape that will alow me to mask off areas and still be able to cure it at the 400* F that is reqired.
Here's a picture of the setup I got for Christmas. I will also post a pic of my SC top I coated today.

Attachments

• christmas.jpg
    christmas.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 177
SC Top

Well here's the SC top I just did today it is a silver vein base coat and I spent a lot of time masking the raised parts and did them with a super mirror black I am dreading doing the I/C tube with "Supercharged" on it as it is a smaller font and will require even more attention but I am satisfied with the outcome and will be using this color scheme for my engine overhaul and detailing.

Now here comes a question I will probably get a bit of feedback on, I am concidering doing outside freelance powdercoating in my spare time as a hobby to help others out. I have not yet gotten any experience with my new equipment but if it does speed up the process I may be doing this. Untill now I have only performed work on my own projects and am not sure if I will have enough "drive" to do this for a second income to support my SC addiction! Let me know your opinion on this topic as I am curious as to what you guys think.
SC Ya,
Greg Roll

Hey Greg, that stuff is veeeeeeerrrrry cool! It's not too typical to tell your sister you want a infared curing lamp for powdercoat curing, and she knows exactly what to get. Neat!

My wifus would say..."Umm...sure." and buy me a necktie, lol.

I like what you're doing with that stuff, keep up the good work.

Greg... Nice job on the SC top!:) Looks like someone went Christmas shopping for a sandblaster at Harbor Freight. I have the 40lb version and their blasting cabinet. Not bad equipment for what you pay. You need to get a deadmans valve for yours. Harbor Freight doesn't carry them but Eastwood Co. does. Makes sandblasting a one handed job. One of my future investments will be a powder coating setup.

Bryan

Woo-Hoo!
I have the next three days off work, so that means playtime! last night I went to Home Depot and got some blasting media and a deadmans valve. Bryan, I guess we think on the same wavelength, yeah, that blaster is in fact from Harbor Freight it's not a bad piece of equipment for the price, I wanted a cabinet but with my 8'X10' workshop/storage shed just about to max capacity I wouldin't be able to afford the real estate! If you need any powdercoating info feel free to email me with any questions I'll try to help figure them out.
Hey Dan,
I think you're right about having a pretty cool sister, I sure wasin't expecting this! Oh by the way what's this "necktie" you speak of? some sort of retainment device to keep you at home?!? lol J/K;) The funny thing is I never even told her to get me it, she just saw all the drool on the screen when I was always looking at it on the computer, and I guess she knew that since it wasin't the SCCoA on the screen it must have been something I really liked!
My brother-in-law got a nice 30 gal compressor and a bench bending brake for christmas as well, so between him and I we have a pretty versital workshop.
Well, i've got to go have fun now!
SC Ya,
Greg Roll

Greg... When I get my blasting cabinet all hooked up, if you need it, maybe we could work something out. I don't think we are all that far apart. I'm over here in Oviedo and I think you are on the east side of Orlando.

Bryan

Hey Bryan,
We are only about a half hour away from eachother, what part of Oviedo are you located at? I live near the corner of Alafaya Tr. and E. Colonial not too far away from UCF and about 10 Min to OSW. I actually found that putting the blasted part in one of thoes storage totes that Wal-Mart sells as a fairly good way to catch some sand to reuse. Although I am only using blasting sand which costs $2.50 per 50Lbs but if I were to use alum oxide I would definately want to use a cabinet as that is a bit more expensixe. I can't believe how easy it was to get the old powder coating out from between the fins of my superchargers! It also knocked down the rough casting to something that can be concealed by a fresh coat of powder.
Hey Richard,
It's too bad you moved we would have been practically neighbors, but this park wouldin't allow you to have all thoes SCs pouring into the streets! What's your collection up to now? J/K if I could I'd buy another as a parts car!
Well, today's project is to finish cleaning the shop and draw some plans up for a new metalworking workbench. I may also get another small storage shed from a friend, this way I could get a spare engine!
SC Ya,
Greg Roll

You forget Greg, I was there for 20 years, I was grandfathered in on all their stupid little rules they came up with, and they all knew me, I had what I wanted, and they didn't mess with me!!

Wasn't supposed to park my boat or my bike in the carport either but they were there for the better part of 10 of those 20 years I lived there... They tend to get over it when they tell me to move them and I tell them to bite me!! :D

Besides I threatened to park this in their carports!!! On their cars!!

Yeah Richard, I was just messin with ya, this park has changed ownership about 3 times since i have lived here and that's only been a little over a year now. Each new owner brings new rules, and what was ok one month is against the rules the next! I'm only here untill I get through college then I'm outta here. They do tend to talk a lot and not back it up though, they leave their little notices and such, but don't do too much to enforce it.
I live right near the main office which makes it pretty hard to get away with much, but I don't think they know about the full workshop in the storage shed so i guess I'm doing good at hiding it.
SC Ya,
Greg Roll

Man, three times must be a new record for them, I've seen twice in one year!!! I was there 20 years I saw 27 managers come and go... You've seen 3 since I left last year so in 21 years we are talking 30 different managers!!! And they wonder why none of the original tenants have stayed around right!!

Now you just reminded me why I did move out last year!!! Amazing how this conversation came full circle huh??

:D

Greg... I'm on the north side of Oviedo in a subdivision behind the Oviedo High School. My shop is located in the Black Hammock very close to the resturant and fish camp. Now a days were are 30 minutes apart but 20 years ago it was only 10 minutes. Too much progress in this area (Oviedo) for me. If i could, I'd move to a quieter place like Mims! Some place where I could buy 10 acres and put up a 3 bedroom house with a 10 car garage. I need more room for my toys. I presently have 2 2-car garages and need more room. Well maybe when I win the Lotto:D

Bryan

P.S. Which Home Depot are you buying blasting sand from. The Oviedo store quit carrying it and the manager said they will not stock it anymore.:mad:

Last edited:
Blasting Sand...

Hey Bryan,
I agree with the growth rate of Oviedo and the outer undeveloped East side of Orlando here. Huge plazas and apartment complexes appeared out of now where when I came back from my 2 month stay in the Keys last summer. The Home Depot I go to is On Alafaya Trail about a half mile south of East Colonial. It is right across the huge Waterford Lakes plaza that a Ford car show was held at last year. I just stopped by there on the way home from work and picked up another 150 Lbs for my Yamaha XS600 restore project I started last night. They got a fresh pallet in and I hope they don't stop carying it any time soon as it is hard to find good dry sand that is stored inside. I think Richard has the right idea with the "SC Ranch" out there in Mims, cheaper less congested land!
SC Ya,
Greg Roll

Back