Ram SRT/10 Tested

1BADSC

The latest Car & Driver has performance numbers from the new SRT/10.

0-60 in 4.9

1/4 in 13.6 @105mph

Top speed drag limited 153mph

.86g on the skidpad

70-0 in 184ft

10mpg city-15mpg highway
C/D observed 12mpg

Price as tested 45,795

The numbers I found for the 2001 model list

0-60 in 5.2

1/4 in 13.8 @ 104mph

70-0 in 185 feet

Hmmmm...

I'll take the Lil Dodge SRT-4 and still go 153 mph and I'll even bring it to a stop quicker. Oh yeah, I'll pay just $20K, too.

Yeah, but I'd FEEL like a schmuck getting 12 mpg...

oh wait, I already have a car that gets 12 mpg...

Once again looking at another make for a truck when you have the ultamate right here at ford with the lightning...Go figure

yea that ram isnt as impressive as i thought it would be, for 500Hp its only going down the track at 13.6....the neon is right behind if for only 20k....15k less, and you can get a lightnign for like 30k around here or less, and with a few bolt ons you will be looking at the srt-10 in the rearview mirror...

my .02

let's not even talk about the new lightning concept with the neato "super cooler" intercooler, I hope that becomes production, it's just too cool! It's even set up more like a manual car than a manual truck...

aplvlydrtybird said:
yea that ram isnt as impressive as i thought it would be, for 500Hp its only going down the track at 13.6....the neon is right behind if for only 20k....15k less, and you can get a lightnign for like 30k around here or less, and with a few bolt ons you will be looking at the srt-10 in the rearview mirror...

my .02

Typical type of statements coming from people who have to compensate somehow when a vehicle gets released that is faster than their own brand. The numbers CnD got weren't that impressive, especially since I have seen 13.4 ets posted from another test for the SRT-10, and just wait till it gets in the hands of some owners who know how to drive. I guarantee it will be putting up low low 13's if not 12 sec times stock, and definitly 12's with slicks at the track.

As far as the price comparison, I have a Dakota R/T. I bought one new in '99 for $22K. At the time, the Lightnings were $34K. Give me $10K to put onto my Dakota R/T and the Lightning would be seeing my taillights, but of course when it comes down to it, you run what you brung, and price doesn't matter. There are several normally asperated(as in no supercharger or nitrous) Dakota's on the road now that can beat a stock Lightning and the R/T owners still have money in their pockets over buying a L.

i got a new lightning but it is the same as the 03' year it can run stock 13.3 to 13.4 1/4 mile times. but it is much faster now :)

HSKR, C&D drivers are some of the fastest and most accurate testing drivers around. They don't test going downhill like Motortrend or other lower mags. Their times came in right were Dodge figured they would be.

They also stated that the truck has the tractoin of a gravy boat. Their job is not to put slicks on it and tune it in order to get a faster time at the track. All they do is test it 5-10 times or more and average the results. With big heavy rims and street tires it runs those times. If dodge really wanted it to perform they should have used a shorter, lighter tire and they would have improved braking and acceleration times.

I am sure that with some slicks the 5500lbs truck will make it through the
1/4 in a little less time. Although it will not quite be the performance truck the lightning is because of the cost of parts and mods for that motor.

1BADSC said:
HSKR, C&D drivers are some of the fastest and most accurate testing drivers around. They don't test going downhill like Motortrend or other lower mags. Their times came in right were Dodge figured they would be.

They also stated that the truck has the tractoin of a gravy boat. Their job is not to put slicks on it and tune it in order to get a faster time at the track. All they do is test it 5-10 times or more and average the results. With big heavy rims and street tires it runs those times. If dodge really wanted it to perform they should have used a shorter, lighter tire and they would have improved braking and acceleration times.

I am sure that with some slicks the 5500lbs truck will make it through the
1/4 in a little less time. Although it will not quite be the performance truck the lightning is because of the cost of parts and mods for that motor.

Sport Truck got the SRT-10 Ram to run a 13.12 @ 108mph 1/4 mile time during their truck of the year competition and this was as LACR drag strip which is about 3200' elevation. Motor Trends numbers have always been high for the Dodge products. This is the same magazine that couldn't get better than a 15.7 out of a stock Dakota R/T regular cab even though they regular cab R/T's average 15.1-15.2 in the 1/4. Curb weight on the SRT-10 is only 5000lbs, and I don't really think the big wheels are hurting it much considering it stoped in a shorter distance than the Lightning did with smaller wheels. And the braking only got better as the brakes heated up. It stopped 60-0 in a shorter distance than any of the other Truck of the Year contestants, including the '04 F-150. Like I said earlier. typical responses from Ford fans who can't stand that the Lightning isn't top dog anymore. And even in the new '05 Lightning performs like Ford hopes it will, it still takes a supercharged motor in a lighter truck to run the same times as the normally asperated SRT-10. When the SRT-10 first came out, all the Ford and Chavy boys said that Dodge would never produce it. Then when it was greenlighted for production, they said it would never run the times Dodge claimed, then when it did, they had to start going after the price. Funny thing is, Chevy's Silverado SS isn't much cheaper, and the SSR is a rolling joke. The new '05 Lighting will cost just as much as the SRT-10 when it gets released. Face it. For now, the almighty Lightning isn't king of the hill anymore.

I don't like ford or Dodge so I am not a typical lightning lover. I think both compaines suck. GM sucks too anymore. Each one has one or two cars that are nice and that is it. I would never be loyal to any of them. The dodge is slow for as much power as it has.

I'd never own a dodge, unless it was given to me for free. The ford Lightning is still the best and its outdated now. I'm sorry but I'd rather have a forced induction engine than an N/A engine any day. Plus if you ask me, Chrysler/Dodge/Plymoth have some really ****** looking cars and trucks. And like others have said, with a few cheap bolt ons for the lightning you'll be destroying those srt-10's no problem on the track and on the street.

I don't think it would take any bolt ons for the lightning to win. It will be much like the vette vs viper. In order to drive the Viper fast you have to be a really good driver, where with the vette an average driver can extract great times.

It will be much the same way with the SRT. The lightning owner will have a much easier time getting good times than the SRT owner will.

SC90_Pete said:
I'd never own a dodge, unless it was given to me for free. The ford Lightning is still the best and its outdated now. I'm sorry but I'd rather have a forced induction engine than an N/A engine any day. Plus if you ask me, Chrysler/Dodge/Plymoth have some really ****** looking cars and trucks. And like others have said, with a few cheap bolt ons for the lightning you'll be destroying those srt-10's no problem on the track and on the street.

And with a few cheap bolt ons, the SRT-10's will be right back in front. I always find it funny when people compare a modified vehicle to a stock vehicle. Why not make it apples to apples and put a SC on the SRT-10 so it's forced induction as well?? What makes the Lightniung the best?? Simply because it's a Ford and you are a Ford guy?? With a few bolts on's, my Dakota R/T will destroy stock Lightnings on the street and track, does that make it better than the Lightning?? Oh, and this is leaving my R/T normally asperated. Forced induction is real good if you like having problems. Just look at our SC's and the head gasket problems, and the '99 Lightnings with the intercooler problems, and the new Lightnings with the problems I've heard of blowing spark plugs and other stuff. Yeah, that forced induction wroks wonders. And don't even try to mention the whole warranty thing because as soon as you change the pulley, or put in one of the aftermarket chips, you warranty just blew away. I wasn't trying to start a flame war, merely sticking up for the SRT-10 amungst naysayers who don't know much about it. The numbers don't lie, and right now, the SRT-10 is king of the factory Sport Truck market.

1BADSC said:
I don't think it would take any bolt ons for the lightning to win. It will be much like the vette vs viper. In order to drive the Viper fast you have to be a really good driver, where with the vette an average driver can extract great times.

It will be much the same way with the SRT. The lightning owner will have a much easier time getting good times than the SRT owner will.

We'll see. From what I've heard from people who have driven the SRT-10, it's not that hard to drive. Like any high performance vehicle, you smash the throttle off the line and your going to smoke the tires and lose traction.

Wait lets end this argument..

Who won truck of the year????...HAHAHA!!!!..

How much is that VIPER powered pickupanyway?

Ive also seen stock lightning run much faster then a high 13..But to each his own..Regardless..The f150 is the truck all trucks wish they could be:O)..And it doesnt take more $100 investement in the lightning to significantly improve performance via a SCpulley:O)

Your right, I am a Ford guy, but either way you look at it, the lightning which has been around for what, 10 years now still beats the brand new dodge that came out and absolutely owns Chevy's Performance truck the oh so slow "Silverado SS." It's all a matter of preference. There is one thing though that I like about dodge, and that is they make a car for 21k that can hit 13's in the 1/4 mile. ****** car with a pumped up engine. I wish ford would figure this out and give us a bare boned model with a big *** engine. Everything is all packaged now and the only way to get the big engine is to get the premium package with a bunch of crap I don't want. Oh yeah, and I'd also like a Ford Ranger to come with the all aluminum 4.6L 3valve modular v8 that comes in the mustang GT. That little truck would haul *** just like your little dakota.

Back