Ram SRT/10 Tested

I wonder what would make the new Cobra cost 12,000 over the base v8 mustangs price..

And being the lightning is based on the new F150....

I guess we will just have to seeeeeeeee

Probably because the new Cobra is going to be pushing a lot more HP in order to keep up with the new line of Vettes. Base Vette 6.0 liter 402 HP, Z06 500+Hp

The Viper comes from the factory with headers already installed. Granted, they may not be the best performing headers available, but definitly better than manifolds. So from the collectors back is all you would really have to swap. And I agree, it will be more expensive to modify, but with two vehicles on the market with the same engine, the price of parts will drop slightly due to higher demand, and most of the Vipers I have seen were modified in some way, so I'm sure there will be more than a few owners modifying the SRT-10 as well. Most people aren't satisfied with stock performance no matter how good it is.

There is always going to be someone faster than you. All it takes is money. Like I've said before, Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go??? For some, the SRT-10 Ram is right up their alley for performance and potential.

And it looks like Mike 38SC has confirmed my guess that the new Lightning will be comparably priced to the SRT-10. One guy in my Dakota R/T club just bought a new SRT-10 for under $45K, and another was offered one for $40K from a dealer. Most dealers are putting huge dealer mark ups on them though, and $60K after dealer markup isn't unheard of, and I've heard of one listed at $70K. Worste part is some fool will actually pay the price too.

And it looks like Mike 38SC has confirmed my guess that the new Lightning will be comparably priced to the SRT-10. One guy in my Dakota R/T club just bought a new SRT-10 for under $45K, and another was offered one for $40K from a dealer. Most dealers are putting huge dealer mark ups on them though, and $60K after dealer markup isn't unheard of, and I've heard of one listed at $70K. Worste part is some fool will actually pay the price too.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I'm not saying that those prices are chiseled in stone, all I'm saying is that was reported to members of the SVTOA by the leadership and printed in an issue of SVT Enthusiast magazine.
Ford has been pretty up front about it and they have control to squash the story if it was'nt being thought about because they have final say about what gets printed in that mag. Ford has complete editorial control over the SVT Enthusiast mag.

Those huge markups by dealers is nothing new, its been going on since the very first Vipers and maybe long before that. I first became aware of the dealer gouge back when the first Vipers were coming out and I tried to buy one. Since then it happened with Prowlers and PT Cruisers and continues today with each one of those models.
I looked at a new Cobra a couple of days ago and it had a sticker price of $33,000.00 so its not that hard for me to see them jump the price to $40,000.00 by the time the new one hits the streets.

The "headers" that come factory are never "headers" that anyone with half a brain would brag about having. I remember some guy at the pool hall arguing his heart out that 5.0L Fox bodies came with headers. Well...yeah, technically they did. But they SUCKED?!

Same with Viper...long tube aftermarket headers have proven 18HP gains at the wheels. Dyno charts to back em up. So it's kind of a mod that would be good for the Viper or SRT-10. And it kind of cost "insano" pricing. Whereas the Lightning headers are kind of A LOT cheaper. Sure, you could pass them up. You don't need them. But why do you want a truck that you can't afford to modify..which is my point all along

It's funny to listen to you justify a more expensive truck, that will be more expensive to modify...that innitially (first 100HP extra or so) will cost more to modify.

I call it as it is. The truck isn't a POS. It's very nice. And I really like the style and overall package. It's is probably thee trickest factory truck available. But don't tell me the price is acceptible. Or it can be somewhat affordable to hotrod (if the stars are aligned), and hypothetically with X amount of purchasers you might see Y reduction in pricing, or that it will even offer better performance per dollar than the lightning. It's just not so.

Micah

you tell em micah!!!!! best bang for buck , lightning.

best truck id say dodge ,

if i had unlimited $$$$$ rt 10 all the way .

i love that truck . but reality says i cant spend that much $$$$
so best afordable truck that kicks butt is ford,

HSKR said:
Like I said earlier. typical responses from Ford fans who can't stand that the Lightning isn't top dog anymore. And even in the new '05 Lightning performs like Ford hopes it will, it still takes a supercharged motor in a lighter truck to run the same times as the normally asperated SRT-10. Face it. For now, the almighty Lightning isn't king of the hill anymore.

Blah blah blah...yeah, the Lightning is blown. That is an advantage that it has. The Ram has almost 3 extra liters and two extra cylinders, that is it's advantage. What is your point about the fact that the Lightning is blown? I'm sure that Ford could have built a 8-something liter V-10 for the L as well, but they are going with a 330ci V8.

Doubt it Manny, Dodge has always been a turbo company, so it would probably be a turbocharged SRT-10. Matter of fact, I can't remember one vehicle from Dodge that was supercharged.

I do think the Ram is a nice truck....Just to costly

I have to disagree on the v10 being able to be modded more reliably...When your talking 600 700 800 hp natuarally aspirated....That is a LOT of stress on the motor..

With a blown car under normal driving conditions its civil....And can be sedate even...And remeber the motor is made to handle the boost...Ford could have made a 400 hp naturally aspirated 5.4...But it would have been at the expense of drivability..Higher compression..Larger cams ect ect...Ford knows what there doing with offering a roots powered vehicle...And that is the reason they are staying away from turboes

Micahdogg said:
It's funny to listen to you justify a more expensive truck, that will be more expensive to modify...that innitially (first 100HP extra or so) will cost more to modify.

Micah

You know, I say the same thing about the Lightning owners trying to justify the extra price they paid for the Lightning over the Dakota R/T.

DamonSlowpokeBaumann said:
I do think the Ram is a nice truck....Just to costly

I have to disagree on the v10 being able to be modded more reliably...When your talking 600 700 800 hp natuarally aspirated....That is a LOT of stress on the motor..

With a blown car under normal driving conditions its civil....And can be sedate even...And remeber the motor is made to handle the boost...Ford could have made a 400 hp naturally aspirated 5.4...But it would have been at the expense of drivability..Higher compression..Larger cams ect ect...Ford knows what there doing with offering a roots powered vehicle...And that is the reason they are staying away from turboes

Not much into building motors are you?? The reliability is all in the tune, the parts used, and how the vehicle is driven. Any vehicle when driven "civil" can be reliable as hell, but who really buys a performance vehicle to drive civil?? Needless to say, you have to modify a Lighting to hang with a stock SRT-10, and anytime you start modifying a vehicle from stock, you decrease reliability. Especially when you start swapping SC pulleys, and box flashed computer moduals.

As far as the whole turbo vs SC debate, the import scene has been suing turbo's reliably for years. Look at Volvo. Some of the most reliable cars on the road, and they use turbo's. When set up properly, the turbo is more efficient, and more reliable than a SC.

1BADSC said:
if you sneeze on the Lightning it will smoke the SRT-10. :)

If you sneeze on the Lighting, it might blow a spark plug, or an intercooler, or any of the other performance problems that have plagued it since it was released. Of course most of those were caused by people modifying it beyond stock where it was made to run.

1BADSC said:
i don't see too many people complaning about any broken parts.

The spark plug issue is bad enough for them to create a poll over it.

http://www.nloc.net/forum/showthread.php?threadid=59586

This thread, one guy posts that the stock bottom ends are unpredictable after 12lbs of boost

http://www.nloc.net/forum/showthread.php?threadid=61876&highlight=blew

Here's another poll just for blown motors for the year of the truck.

http://www.nloc.net/forum/showthread.php?threadid=61426&highlight=blew

And that's just what I found on a quick search. Seems to me quite a few people are complaining.

92silverlx said:
so why do you own a supercharged ford product????????? if u fart on the lightning it will smoke the SRT-10

Why do I own one?? Because the '94-'97 Thunderbird is the only Ford car I have liked, and that fact that I found a '94 5-speed SC in nice shape for $2K. I like manual transmissions, and the T-bird was the only car in my price range that both me and my wife could agree on. I've never bashed the T-bird, and wasn't trying to bash the Lightning until others tried to make it sound like gods gift to Sport trucks.

But the lightning is Gods gift to sports trucks..Not untill recently did anyone come up with anything close..And the dodge is close but a day late and a dollar short..Or is that a few years to late and too many dollars more?

There was always the Syclone back in the day..But much like the GN it was a fast POS

Back