Just a quick exhaust question

birdofprey

I have down tubes no cats, and a magnaflow resonator. I am looking to port my exhaust manifolds this year, either by myself, or have someone do them. The question is how bad are the stock mufflers. I do intend to redo the whole exhaust in 2005 because being a college student I really can't afford the full exhaust system right now. I was just wondering with my current setup (mods listed in signature) if I am in any danger. I do not plan on doing any big mods this year, just underdrive pulleys, and jackshaft pulley. So the big question is should I replace the mufflers? and where do i find info on porting the manifolds. Thanks for all the help.

You can get a complete cat back flowmaster system on summit for about $250 shipped. Just had mine dropped off by fedex about ten minutes ago. I will also have t-bird 88's down tubes with no cats and a flowmaster resonator and also his ported manifolds. But yea like I said you could finish off that system pretty nice for the price above.

Yeah I was thinking about that to, but i wasnt sure on how that would sound. When were you looking to install that. I would really like to hear how it sounds when you get it on. Let me know.

birdofprey said:
I have down tubes no cats, and a magnaflow resonator. I am looking to port my exhaust manifolds this year, either by myself, or have someone do them. The question is how bad are the stock mufflers. I do intend to redo the whole exhaust in 2005 because being a college student I really can't afford the full exhaust system right now. I was just wondering with my current setup (mods listed in signature) if I am in any danger. I do not plan on doing any big mods this year, just underdrive pulleys, and jackshaft pulley. So the big question is should I replace the mufflers? and where do i find info on porting the manifolds. Thanks for all the help.

you are safe, unless there are patatoes stuck in ur tail pipes, taht plug up ur mufflers, they are small, but you might not want to push her to the max all the time, just in case. but that 250 cat back sounds like a good deal. good luck

I'll get somes sound bytes when I get the thing running (head gaskets turned into full engine rebuild) Yea summit also sent with my exhaust a $20 coupon towards my next purchase which I'll use to get my B&M ripper! From what I've heard this setup should sound really throaty.

You actually need another part to complete the cat-back, I just bought mine the other week and just installed it. Its part #15100, the resonator. The stock resonator outlet is the smallest point in the whole sc exhaust. If your going to just be getting the flowmaster 17100 then its really pointless performance-wise to not get #15100 or a new resonator. I just started it yesterday, not as throaty/loud as I thought, but then again I hear they get louder after time. I'm satisfied!

For what you will spend on a catback kit+ installation, you should be able to have your local exhaust shop bend and install a nice system which will grow with your mods. Magnaflow mufflers and resonator are suggested.

Paul

does the magnaflow sound better than the flowmaster, does anyone have sound clips of the magnaflow? If I would even be willing to give someone a call just so I can here the exhaust, if it is not possible to get a sound clip. Well guys let me know?

Tony8470 said:
You actually need another part to complete the cat-back, I just bought mine the other week and just installed it. Its part #15100, the resonator. The stock resonator outlet is the smallest point in the whole sc exhaust. If your going to just be getting the flowmaster 17100 then its really pointless performance-wise to not get #15100 or a new resonator. I just started it yesterday, not as throaty/loud as I thought, but then again I hear they get louder after time. I'm satisfied!

He already said he had a resonator if you would have read the original post so that's why I didn't mention the flowmaster optional resonator. I bought the resonator your talking about.

hey birdofprey, IMO flowmasters are not the way to go for your car, maybe if it had 2 more cylinders, and flowmasters dont flow as well, i would reccomend Magnaflow any day over flowmasters for your bird...just my .02

wait i forgot you could get some big fart cans too...?? just a thought

Yeah I was thinking of the big fart cans, what does that add 50 horse a tip, and since i have duels that must equal 100! lol

Any ways i was thinking the same thing about the flow masters, from what I heard they sound alot better on v8. But i would mind hearing what they sound like, along with magnaflow. If any one has sound clips that would be awsome.

another good one is the mufflers that are on scp, the dynomax super turbos...friend has a set of those on his 95 auto, and it sounds nice, well he does have headers too, but they sound excellent, best sound i have ever heard on an sc, besides Christopher Wise's car...oh that sounds sweet

Last edited:
Birdofprey, your system sounds updated from the stock system with the 2 greatest weak points, the resonator and 90 degree cat bends, removed. With the mods you have, I would say that your system should be fine, just dont drive like a maniac all the time

35th T-bird SC said:
You can get a complete cat back flowmaster system on summit for about $250 shipped.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what is summit? I went to my local performance shop and got an $1100 quote for an exhaust, and I’d rather spend $250 any day.

What exactly do I need to purchase if I have a stock exhaust? And actually its not totally stock, if you look at the attached picture you can see the previous owner cut the bumper and ran tips straight out, will I be able to get something from summit that will be consistent with that so I don’t have two holes cut in my bumper for nothing?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
summitracing.com

matteo said:
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what is summit? I went to my local performance shop and got an $1100 quote for an exhaust, and I’d rather spend $250 any day.

Back